6 year olds and iPads...

Options

Replies

• _kannnd
    _kannnd Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I know lots of kids that have tablets or iphones...

Parents with more money than common sense.

Just because you get your kid a phone, does not mean that you have no common sense.
  • paleirishmother
    Options
    I have one, but my 3yr old uses it more than I do. I bought the Kid Mode puzzles app, he does Dora puzzles on it. He loves puzzles! Bonus, we haven't lost a puzzle piece yet! I do not see how there is anything wrong with that, and I don't understand why people are so judgmental about children using technology. I think it's amazing.
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Simple, if they have the money, let them.

Seriously...why is this being questioned?:grumble: :noway:
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    its a great idea. so much better than the Leap Pad. my 5 year old niece has a Leap Pad but hardly ever uses it. She uses her parents Ipad mostly. much better games/apps etc...
  • cubizzle
    cubizzle Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I have twin boys that aren't even 5 yet, and the iPad in our house is basically theirs. They play angry birds, work on their alphebet, do art, whatever they feel like app wise. They are always supervised, and only get an hour a day at the most, but those are just our parenting decisions. To limit your kids ability to interact with technology doesn't make you a better parent, it cripples your kids ability to use said technology. They still have tons and tons of books, and they still draw and color on paper daily, but they also get time to learn the technology of the day. We did buy a $70 cover for the thing so it's basically indestructable.
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    The bonus of them having their own is they won't stumble on to what you've been up to and it's easier to block most of the Internet. If you opt for the leapwhatever, you're just throwing away $ because they out grow it. Investing in your kid's education is never a bad thing.

We have both a tablet and I - pad. I like that the I-pad has a bigger screen, but I've never liked apple products. My computer runs Linux so both are kinda sub-par for me.
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    honestly, they are amazing learning tools. My 21 month old nephew can use an iPad on his own and knows how to open all his learning apps, my brother in-law got one of those covers for the home button, so he will grab your finger and make you push it when he wants to close the app. Granted the iPad isn't his of course, but he's already learning things way beyond his age level.
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Alright, what apps would you all suggest for the 6 year old?
  • woodburns
    Options
    I'm in IT and work for a school district. Get the IPad. I have a grandson 4 and one 5 (will be 6 in December). The free educational games have been great. Both took to it like ducks in water. They do not even realize they are learning. A good example is the 123 Color HD. It is a paint by number app. They not only learn the colors, but learn numbers too. I was blown away. Where's My Water is another good game. It teaches them reasoning. It is an alligator that wants to shower. They have to get the water to him, some by erasing the dirt, other ways are by melting the ice. That is just 2 of many free apps that I have downloaded for the boys. The older one is really doing great in kindergarten. I do feel it was with the help of the apps. Also they are unable to download apps on their own. I have to put in my Apple ID and password for it to download. They love the IPad so much that I had to limit the amount of time they are on them. Like any tool, you have to monitor them.

Our school district uses them as teaching tools at all levels with great success. Hope this helps.
  • ElizaRoche
    ElizaRoche Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options

Just because you get your kid a phone, does not mean that you have no common sense.

when the kid is 5 years old.. yes id say the parents dont have common sense.
  • _kannnd
    Options

when the kid is 5 years old.. yes id say the parents dont have common sense.

And you don't know the reasoning behind it. Should most 5 year olds have one? No. But there are situations where it might be needed. Do you think that me giving my 7 year old means I have no common sense? Probably so. I have my reasoning though and don't really care what others think. You shouldn't really pass judgement on what others do.
  • Becoming_A_Butterfly
    Becoming_A_Butterfly Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    After seeing what adults being attached to cell phones and tablets has done to how they speak and write, I can't get behind children with ipads or phones.
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    After seeing what adults being attached to cell phones and tablets has done to how they speak and write, I can't get behind children with ipads or phones.

More adults need tools to help train them to think logically and critically.
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    "What? No. Get him a book and an etchasketch."

^^Wins

Plus, I'm not a fan of kids having nicer toys than ME

^ This! :indifferent:
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    my 4.5 and 2.5 year olds love using mine. I have to fight them for it on weekends just so I can read the paper lol.
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    How did we ever survive as children without iPads, DS, PS etc?.... Man. Must've been a third world country then.
  • _kannnd
    Options

More adults need tools to help train them to think logically and critically.

I so agree with this.
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    How did we ever survive as children without iPads, DS, PS etc?.... Man. Must've been a third world country then.

Why not use every tool at your disposal to help your children along in life?
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I'm on the fence. I think that it is a bit expensive for someone that young, unless they know how to respect fragile objects like that. Mostly, it looks like an accident waiting to happen. I would opt for something cheaper like a kindle or some other tablet. Those basically do the same thing without a camera. That is what I would do.
  • Angie_1991
    Angie_1991 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I'd say go for it...they are starting children in our schools in grade K on ipads.