6 year olds and iPads...

Options

Replies

• Arleigh7
    Arleigh7 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I was at a friends afternoon party yesterday and saw a 3 year old with an iPad. They had a large rubber case around it. He was playing chess, drawing with it and learning the alphabet. It was amazing all the applications for small kids that was on there.

I was really impressed at what a learning tool this could be. It's so versatile and besides learning the applications this 3 year old was also becoming very comfortable with the latest interface with computers.

If you can afford it I think it's awesome!
  • RainxPain
    Options
    Considering I grew up with books and stuffed animals, no. I had way more fun with that than I do with my iPhone now.
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    The days are slowly evolving. I personally would not get a 6 year old an iPad, but I can understand the times are changing. My little sister is 12 (11 years younger than me). She has had her own cell phone since she was 3 (me: graduation gift 8th grade), ipad for her 5th grade "graduation", and currently holds a 3-D cell phone. It's okay these days, but if I had kids, I personally would raise them without relying on these things.
  • bdotshaw
    bdotshaw Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Just no.
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    After seeing what adults being attached to cell phones and tablets has done to how they speak and write, I can't get behind children with ipads or phones.

My husband has more of these tools than most and his speech and writing skills are impeccable. How people use speech and writing isn't a reflection of the tool, but rather their laziness.

You shouldn't allow lazy people influence when to educate your children in technology. It's not a choice on if, just when, and it's easier to learn when they're young.
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't believe kids that age need such expensive "toys" .... my son is 9 and asked for an Ipad....the response was absolutely not. I like the spoiled comment.

I would also like to thank the parents that get their kids these things because that makes my son think that he should have one too and then I get the awesome chance to be that bad mom that won't get the cool stuff for their kid.
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    How did we ever survive as children without iPads, DS, PS etc?.... Man. Must've been a third world country then.

How many generations grew up without the benefit of electricity?
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    My two year old can handle an ipad with someone watching and helping him along.

I want to get him some sort of tablet for his third birthday. Be it Apple, Android, Vtech or Leapfrog.
  • lour441
    lour441 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    My 11, 9, 7, and 2 year old's have access to an android tablet and 3 ipod touches. The technology is actively used at all levels of education now. I really do not see what the issue is other then my 11 year old accidentally broke one of the ipod touch screens. My older children read normal books. They go out and play all the time. Technology is available to them when they need it or want to use it.
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    My 2 year old has one.
    Its my money. I can afford it. He also has an awesome Fisher Price cover for it.
  • AngryDiet
    Options
    I honestly don't believe kids that age need such expensive "toys" .... my son is 9 and asked for an Ipad....the response was absolutely not. I like the spoiled comment.

I would also like to thank the parents that get their kids these things because that makes my son think that he should have one too and then I get the awesome chance to be that bad mom that won't get the cool stuff for their kid.

Haha, sorry if my kids having access to an iPad makes you look bad.

I feel just awful...
  • BamsieEkhaya
    BamsieEkhaya Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    hmmm well...I was the 6year old with a mobile phone :blushing: (in my defense my gramps used to walk me to school and being as old as he was I had the phone for emergencies, only numbers where parents and aunts work and mobiles and house phone...) it had snakes black&&White :bigsmile:

6year old with an IPAD...I'd say if you can afford it why not ? Personally I'd set some ground rules...ie after homework/for homework or research its can be an amazing tool, saying that I'd *kitten* myself if my little cousins were running around the house with MY Ipad, not a probs when we're working on it together etc
  • BondBomb
    Options

I feel just awful...
    Agreed. Wait till my kid turns 16 and I buy him a car. You are really going to look like crap then.
  • BronnersHarris
    BronnersHarris Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    The leapfrog versions would struggle to hold my 6 year old's attention for long. I upgraded my phone to the samsung s3 just so my kids could play it at various places where I need entertainment (younger having to sit through 3 hours a week of older's afterschool activities etc). I am aiming to get one of the andriod tablets (would get an ipad if I could afford it) for my two (4 and 6) for Christmas. They also have a DS, wii and a playstation and ipad at their dad's.

They still read books, play with toys and all the things I did as a child. I don't have an issue with the way the world is moving but I don't let them use anything internet based outside of my sight. I block the internet completely when the 4 year old uses it.
  • AngryDiet
    Options

I feel just awful...
    Agreed. Wait till my kid turns 16 and I buy him a car. You are really going to look like crap then.

LOL
  • AngryDiet
    Options
    I'll tell you where I'm a bad parent. Freaking Netflix. It has a whole interface for kids. And they love it.

Much screaming when I make them turn it off.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    How did we ever survive as children without iPads, DS, PS etc?.... Man. Must've been a third world country then.

No. It's just evolution. Technology has changed, people are doing more things than ever through technology. Those things didn't exist when you were a kid.
  • BondBomb
    Options
    I'll tell you where I'm a bad parent. Freaking Netflix. It has a whole interface for kids. And they love it.

Much screaming when I make them turn it off.
    Netflix is the best. My son shocked me one day during dinner but saying 'yum yum yum delicioso'. Apparently he also watched something that taught him to count to 20 in French.
  • umachanxo
    umachanxo Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    I had a black and white gameboy when I was... wait, no, I was older than 6.
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options

National Lampoon's summer vacation. They wouldn't have gotten lost, end up with a shoddy hotel room and would have known the park was closed.

The movie grand Canyon, they wouldn't have gotten lost in the ghetto.

The movie set in Los Angeles, ghetto hs math class? It would have been easier for them to pass math.

I got severely lost in Napa a few years back, I ended up on the cell phone most of that trip to find my way. The Day After i got my 1st cell phone my car broke down. I was in a car accident and was able to call my husband, instead of the police dispatch.

My mom had gotten us lost multiple times. Once she got us lost in Watts.

When I was diagnosed with Epilepsy she was frantic because she didn't have the knowledge available for this. The only info she was given was. "it's either a brain tumor or seizures" there was no forum to chat with other parents about treatment options.

Look at how many kids got sick er because their parents gave their kid aspirin when they had chicken pox. Current medical breakthroughs have occurred because doctors in various countries can communicate faster.
    If there were affordable cell phones in the early 90s i would have known if my brother survived the world series earthquake. Instead it took 3 DAYS. Many people would have survived if the technology existed "back in the day"

I will end this with;
    Sex Offender List.