AUTHENTIC Mexican Recipes

odusgolp
odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
I'm having a non-family dinner party for 14 with a Mexican buffet theme... Essentially think of Qdoba/Chipolte style set-up.

If you have any amazing, mouth watering, foodgasm recipes for Shredded Pork, Chicken, or Beef (doing all three), please post them here!

If your recipe includes "Cream of ... Soup" or "Old Elpaso Enchilada Sauce" or "a packet of taco seasoning" your recipe is not authentic and you will be punched. You've been warned.

Replies

• kimimila86
    kimimila86 Posts: 399 Member
    bump!
  • Cupcakehippiemommy
    Cupcakehippiemommy Posts: 457 Member
    No offense butQdoba/Chipotle is not Mexican either j/s
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    LOL
  • odusgolp

I never claimed it was.
  • LuckyAng
    LuckyAng Posts: 1,173 Member

Hehehe, nope.
  • Cupcakehippiemommy
    Barbacoa de chivo

Ingredients
    4 guijillo chiles
    2 teaspoons cumin seeds
    1 teaspoon ground cloves
    10 allspice berries
    1/3 cup Mexican oregano
    12 sprigs fresh thyme
    6 garlic cloves
    1 Spanish onion, roughly chopped
    1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
    1 (12-pound) goat, quartered or 1 (6 to 8-pound) lamb shoulder
    Salt and pepper
    1 (2-pound) package dried avocado leaves

Directions

Toast chiles, cover with boiling water in a deep bowl, and set aside for 20 minutes.
    Grind cumin, cloves, allspice, and oregano in coffee grinder.
    Drain soaked chiles, puree in blender the chiles, ground spices, thyme, garlic, onion, vinegar, and 1/2 cup of water.
    Process until smooth
    Push mixture through a sieve, season goat with salt and pepper. Rub paste all over the meat.
    Arrange in a bowl and allow to marinate for 4 hours, refrigerated.

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.

In a deep roaster pan scatter half of the avocado leaves on the bottom, place meat on top of the avocado leaves and scatter the remaining leaves over the meat.
    Cover the pan tightly with aluminum foil. Cook the goat 6 to 7 hours until meat is falling off the bone.
    If using lamb shoulder cook for 4 hours.
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member

Usually when people say "No offense" they know it's offensive...

OP's point was the assembly line setup, not the recipe of the foods contained therein.

Anyway, this is a thinly veiled bump...the most authentic I've gotten with Mexican cooking is store-bought mole paste and homemade guacamole.
  • If you want authentic, you will be cooking forever. Just sayin. Having a little help with taco seasoning or enchilada sauce helps.
  • Barbacoa de chivo

Ingredients
    4 guijillo chiles
    2 teaspoons cumin seeds
    1 teaspoon ground cloves
    10 allspice berries
    1/3 cup Mexican oregano
    12 sprigs fresh thyme
    6 garlic cloves
    Salt and pepper

Directions

Toast chiles, cover with boiling water in a deep bowl, and set aside for 20 minutes.
    Drain soaked chiles, puree in blender the chiles, ground spices, thyme, garlic, onion, vinegar, and 1/2 cup of water.
    Process until smooth
    Push mixture through a sieve, season goat with salt and pepper. Rub paste all over the meat.

In a deep roaster pan scatter half of the avocado leaves on the bottom, place meat on top of the avocado leaves and scatter the remaining leaves over the meat.
    Cover the pan tightly with aluminum foil. Cook the goat 6 to 7 hours until meat is falling off the bone.

Oh dear sweet baby jesus. This sounds delicious.
    :love:
  • Cupcakehippiemommy

I never claimed it was.

lol j/s autherntic Mexican food is not served in a buffet style for the best over all experience plated dishes are best again just giving my two cents .Best of luck on your dinner party!
  • 13turtles
    13turtles Posts: 183 Member
    Don't know what you consider authentic, but this is one of my favorite recipes! It makes a ton, is very tasty and utilizes my slow cooker so it frees up my oven. I have made this several times and it freeses great! Also, I take the extra meat and rice, and add black beans and cheese to create burritos. I then wrap them individually and freeze, or put them into my 9 x 9 glass pan, add the extra juice from the crock pot on top, freeze and bake topped with extra cheese. It's a wonderful second quick meal.

Chile Verde

4 pound chuck roast, or pork shoulder/butt (I used a pork shoulder)
    1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
    1 small onion, diced
    10 tomatillos, diced (peel off the outer wrapper, if they have one)
    4 cloves garlic, minced
    2 teaspoons kosher salt
    2 teaspoons cumin
    2 teaspoons sage
    1 Tablespoon oregano
    1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (or more, to taste)
    1/4 cup chopped cilantro leaves
    1 (4 ounce) can diced green chile (mine were mild, your choice)
    1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes (mine had green chilies as well)

The Directions.

1. I used a 6 quart rock pot. Trim any visible fat from the meat, and plop into your slow cooker stoneware. (As and extra step, time permitting, sear the meat on all sides. I prefer it this way!)
    2. I did this the lazy way and used my food processor.
    3. Pulse bell pepper and onion until they are small chunks.
    4. Add this to the pork.
    5. If your tomatillos have the leafy-outer skin left on them, take the skin and stem off, wash carefully and to the same food processor, no need to clean it first! Pulse.
    6. Add spices, and pulse again.
    7. Pour the mixture into the crock pot, and add in the cans of the diced chiles and the tomatoes.
    8. Stir a bit to get the spices down the sides of the meat.
    9. Add chopped cilantro to the top.
    Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours, high for 6, or until meat shreds easily with a fork.

Serve with rice, beans, tortillas, shredded cheese, and a dollop of sour cream.

Cilantro-Lime Rice

Simply make jasmine rice (or brown rice) according to the package directions. When it is finished, remove from the heat and let it sit for 10 minutes. Then, add the juice of ½ a lime per 1 cup of cooked rice, and chopped cilantro to your taste. I also add a little salt, and about 2 tsp of olive oil to help the rice separate.
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    My work bff is Puerto Rican, and she gave me this recipe. Not Mexican, but has a Latin flair

Pork roast
    Sazon seasoning*
    Sofrito**

*found in the Latin section of my grocery store
    **I make my own using a bunch of cilantro, a head of garlic, an onion, a bell pepper, a chicken bullion cube and a splash of olive oil. Throw in food processor and grind to mush.

Rub pork roast liberally with Sazon, then cover completely with Sofrito. The Sazon will stain your hands a bit orange. :) Cook in crockpot for 4-6 hours on high or longer on low. Shred when done. Not gonna lie, this is salty. But when mixed in on salads, tortillas, etc, it settles the salty taste.
  • Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 806 Member
    Ive had authentic Mexican food, its good but rather blan.
    Maybe someone does have something with flavor.
  • Cupcakehippiemommy
    Barbacoa de chivo

Ingredients
    4 guijillo chiles
    2 teaspoons cumin seeds
    1 teaspoon ground cloves
    10 allspice berries
    1/3 cup Mexican oregano
    12 sprigs fresh thyme
    6 garlic cloves
    Salt and pepper

Directions

Process until smooth

You can use brisket or pork shoulder but Barbacoa is usually slow roasted goat meat,well that's what my grams says anyay
  • odusgolp
    If you want authentic, you will be cooking forever. Just sayin. Having a little help with taco seasoning or enchilada sauce helps.

I know :) The point is to actually spend forever cooking, though, we love cooking. We have made some great things before, but I like getting new ideas from other MFP'ers that like to cook.
  • MelisMusing
    MelisMusing Posts: 421 Member
    I've made this plenty of times and everyone loves it. We top it with home made Chimayo red...can't go wrong.

http://pinterest.com/pin/245305510923840171/ (carnitas recipe)

and

http://penniwisner.com/online-recipes/new-mexico-red-chile-sauce/
  • odusgolp
    Barbacoa de chivo

Ingredients
    4 guijillo chiles
    2 teaspoons cumin seeds
    1 teaspoon ground cloves
    10 allspice berries
    1/3 cup Mexican oregano
    12 sprigs fresh thyme
    6 garlic cloves
    Salt and pepper

Directions

Process until smooth

You can use brisket or pork shoulder but Barbacoa is usually slow roasted goat meat,well that's what my grams says anyay

I've been looking for a good Barbacoa! This sounds delish!
  • When I see crockpot Mexican anything, I want to punch women in their ovaries.

And no... melting cheese over everything is NOT $#@#@%$#%@ MEXICAN
  • Barbacoa de chivo

Ingredients
    4 guijillo chiles
    2 teaspoons cumin seeds
    1 teaspoon ground cloves
    10 allspice berries
    1/3 cup Mexican oregano
    12 sprigs fresh thyme
    6 garlic cloves
    Salt and pepper

Directions

Process until smooth

If you get Barbacoa in Mexico it is not goat. It is cow... errm.. I will leave it at that! LOL
  • odusgolp
    When I see crockpot Mexican anything, I want to punch women in their ovaries.

And no... melting cheese over everything is NOT $#@#@%$#%@ MEXICAN

*LMAO* Love you dearest :)