Alcohol Calories don't count?

Options
12346»

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    One of my MFP friends also brought up the example of Sugar Alcohols. Those are not counted as carbs because the body doesn't process them.

Oy. That's wrong, too. Sugar alcohols absolutely are processed by the body. They just (typically) have less of an effect on blood sugar levels.

http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/food/what-can-i-eat/sugar-alcohols.html

And the research listed in the article on leangains states - in a roundabout way - that alcohol calories DO count. It's just that, instead of 7.1 kcal per gram, the body ultimately processes them as if they were 5.3 kcal. So, if you drink a straight liqueur that has (as an example) 140 kcal, your body basically would process it as ~105 kcal.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    One of my MFP friends also brought up the example of Sugar Alcohols. Those are not counted as carbs because the body doesn't process them.

Oy. That's wrong, too. Sugar alcohols absolutely are processed by the body. They just (typically) have less of an effect on blood sugar levels.

http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/food/what-can-i-eat/sugar-alcohols.html

And the research listed in the article on leangains states - in a roundabout way - that alcohol calories DO count. It's just that, instead of 7.1 kcal per gram, the body ultimately processes them as if they were 5.3 kcal. So, if you drink a straight liqueur that has (as an example) 140 kcal, your body basically would process it as ~105 kcal.
    ^Keep in mind alcohol isn't the only thing in alcohol we buy in liquor stores.

So if you buy something that's 40% alcohol I suppose that alcohol will be processed as approximately 5.3, and 60% other stuff will be processed as per normal? So if you have a 1.5 oz shot in a 8 oz glass of coke well, you're getting approximately all the calories from the 6.5 oz of coke, all 60% of the calories in the 1.5oz shot processed normally, and 40% you'll get the majority of the calories but may not process them all. If that's the case, all in all, it's negligible. Especially taking into account human error.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Good enough for me! Let's go to the bar!

^^And it sounds like that by plopping our as$es on a bar stool for 4 hours doing shots burns more calories than not doing the like. Drink up yinz b!tches! :drinker:
  • yourstylistami
    Options
    Alcohol calories can not be stored as fat. Therefore alcohol itself will not actually cause weight gain. All calories in a given drink from carbs, fats, or protein obviously can be stored as fat. Alcohol however can interfere with fat loss because you will burn the alcohol calories first and any leftover carb, fat, or protein calories will then be stored as fat. What is the real problem is the foods people eat while drinking. Most people will eat foods they would otherwise resist when drinking alcohol. If one was to drink pure alcohol and eat nothing the alcohol calories would "not count" because your body will immediately burn alcohol calories.
  • lifeskittles
    lifeskittles Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I go through phases of heavy drinking (like 500-1500 cals worth of bud light) and I actually weigh less after a night of drinking...And don't gain it back. But I do dance a lot usually too ;)
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    they count. They also keep you from burning fat.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    wait to the alcohol in beer counts but the alcohol in liquor does not?? Explain that one again....
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Ever heard of a beer gut? Too many brewskies, and you'll get one too.

The OP specifically said only alcohol, not beer and wine.

I have heard before that it's not the alcohol that's the problem, it's the mixers.

beer and wine are not alcohol?
  • Bobbiezilla
    Bobbiezilla Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Hard liquor has 65-100 calories per ounce.

But you don't care after 400 calories.

Hilarious!.....and true!
  • ezznthos
    Options
    no , but sounds like it could make sense .........
  • ezznthos
    Options
    cause your body works so hard to burn them , it burns more than whats in the drink, huh???
    Ever heard of a beer gut? Too many brewskies, and you'll get one too.

The OP specifically said only alcohol, not beer and wine.

I have heard before that it's not the alcohol that's the problem, it's the mixers.

beer and wine are not alcohol?
  • jimshine
    jimshine Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I used to drink. A lot. An average night was 18-24 beers, 3-4 times a week! I put on a ton of weight. Over the past 2 months I stepped off the wagon. I drank 8-12 beers these nights, had moonshine one night. I counted the calories of the beer. It totally slowed down my progress. I wont touch it now because of that.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    One beer is 150 calories. Twelve beers is 0 calories.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    Everyone's body processes things differently. I think the key is to figure out how your own body works and eat in a way that supports your weight loss. I lost 60 lbs in 2010 and was able to maintain the loss quite well eating whatever I wanted - as long as it didn't include wheat. I could eat butter, cream, cheese, corn, rice, etc. in whatever portions I felt like eating without gaining. But, as soon as I started eating wheat again on a regular basis, my weight just skyrocketed. I've gained almost 20 lbs in the last 2 months (4 weeks of which I was traveling) and the culprit for me is the wheat. I know it and I don't know what I was thinking ... like the results would be different for me this time. lol So, I'm back to the low fat and wheat-free diet until the weight comes off again - when I can add more fats back into my diet.

If your friend can maintain his weight loss drinking alcohol freely (without all the high calorie mixers, I'm sure), then more power to him. The proof is in the ... well, the proof. He's maintained the loss doing what works for him. Here's to hoping we can all figure out what our kryptonite is and stear clear of it. :-)

Nice to see and non judgmental approach to the op.
  • Shesaid_destroy
    Options
    It may even out because he quite likely gets wasted then feels like crap the next day and doesn't eat much.

Or throws it all back up!

Seriously, alcohol is loaded with calories. It makes you lower your guard in terms of healthy choices when consumed with food, it has no health benefits whatsover, despite what the wine industry would like us to think.
    I read somewhere that nuts should be treated like a condiment. Alcohol should be the condiment of your condiments.
    That said, cheers!
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Nope.

Not true.

Edit for spelling.