Why do people do it????

Options
One of my clients came in for a workout today and told me that she was so pleased with herself...she'd managed to get hold of some banned ( in the UK) weightloss pills.

I told her in no uncertain terms that they will just make her poorly, she's already got a racing heart symptom.
She's normally quite sensible.

Why do people do it? So dangerous and there's nothing wrong with losing weight the old fashioned way.

Replies

• IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    I got a rude awakening when I found used needles in my gym. The thought of people taking steroids hadn't even crossed my mind.
    Started looking at people in the gym in a whole new light, and it's explained a lot of weird shapes and voices.
  • SashThompson
    SashThompson Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    The simple answer is: They think they've found the magic weight loss pill...
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    I think the thing that annoys me is that she's been coming to me for around 3 months, she's been following a plan I gave her, I nice and steady 1 pound a week weight loss ( she has 24 lbs to lose) and obviously isn't coming off fast enough for her. She started taking pills 2 weeks ago and lost 3 pound each week.
    Told her its a bad idea..will she stop? I doubt it.
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    I know, but there's not a lot you can do, and they've probably been talking to 'expert' friends.
  • Fozzi43
    Options
    I know, but there's not a lot you can do, and they've probably been talking to 'expert' friends.

I know, just frustrating as I can give her all the advice she needs.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I got a rude awakening when I found used needles in my gym. The thought of people taking steroids hadn't even crossed my mind.
    Started looking at people in the gym in a whole new light, and it's explained a lot of weird shapes and voices.

steroids are a big problem across the uk at the moment, especially teenagers taking them.
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    Tell me about it. Diet and exercise is different, in that everyone appears to be an expert. I'd like to see someone pitch up and tell a plumber, electrician or plasterer their job.
  • Fozzi43
    Options
    There's so much on the Internet these days, saying how bad these things are?
    People obviously don't read the downsides of taking these drugs.

Crazy!!
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    desperation. It is that simple. Desperation makes people lose sense and any ray of hope, they just cling to it, no matter what the cost
  • BamsieEkhaya
    BamsieEkhaya Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    hmm I came close to taking them, at one point my aunt had 5different diet pills, but I'm a little OCD when it comes to medication so lots of googling and reading side effects put me off them, never ever contemplating them.
    I don't think people really truly understand how bad they can be, too many people would rather have a quick-fix
  • Fozzi43
    Options
    I think some of it could be that her stick thin sister comes training with her,she runs 8 miles 5days a week...

I do think though that if she carries on taking them and gets all the awful side effects and it hampers her training with me..I'll have to stop training her. I'm a first aider but I'm not happy about having to first aid someone who takes illegal substances.

Am I wrong in doing that?
    I honestly don't know. But this is bothering me big time.
  • lauraatkinson85
    lauraatkinson85 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    A couple of years ago I bought some weight loss pills over the internet - within days I was shaking, my heart was pumping like it was going to explode and I was paranoid about everything. I realised how stupid I was to risk my life to lose weight a bit quicker. I'm pretty sure that they had something along the lines of speed in them.

I have never considered taking drugs in the sense of cocaine, pills etc, but I was quite happy to put some completely unknown substance into my body.

Glad I realised that it was stupid!
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    I think some of it could be that her stick thin sister comes training with her,she runs 8 miles 5days a week...

I do think though that if she carries on taking them and gets all the awful side effects and it hampers her training with me..I'll have to stop training her. I'm a first aider but I'm not happy about having to first aid someone who takes illegal substances.

A conscientious professional recognises when something is outside of their expertise, and you can't predict what effect an uncontrolled substance is going to have. I'd certainly wouldn't think it wrong.
  • Fozzi43
    Options

A conscientious professional recognises when something is outside of their expertise, and you can't predict what effect an uncontrolled substance is going to have. I'd certainly wouldn't think it wrong.

Thank you for that..just needed to know I wasn't gonna be in the wrong.

And I WILL stop training her if she carries on but I'm hoping I scared her enough into not taking them.
  • NT77
    NT77 Posts: 8
    Options

I think you are totally right with what you are saying. People want the magic answer to weightloss when actually she is already working on it by training with someone (you!) so why bother with the pills, it's so dangerous and the companies that sell them are just making money from people's desperation if you ask me!
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options

Yep, a notice in our gym has just been put up saying that needles were found in the changing room. Obviously no names were mentioned but in all honesty it isn't difficult to come up with a suspect or two. I'm pretty sure the gym staff looked at me bench press and thought "Yeah he's in the clear!"
  • mogletdeluxe
    mogletdeluxe Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Sad. But I guess people perceive it as a quick fix.

I suspect it's the same mindset people have when they ask "how did you do it?" and look disappointed when you say "hard work".
  • fraser112
    Options
    One of my clients came in for a workout today and told me that she was so pleased with herself...she'd managed to get hold of some banned ( in the UK) weightloss pills.

I told her in no uncertain terms that they will just make her poorly, she's already got a racing heart symptom.

Why do people do it? So dangerous and there's nothing wrong with losing weight the old fashioned way.

They work just like steroids are are on the whole safe when used correctly. Why worry if someone wants to use a drug poorly and die then nature is doing her job.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

They work just like steroids are are on the whole safe when used correctly. Why worry if someone wants to use a drug poorly and die then nature is doing her job.

No, I'm in pharma and can tell you that current weight loss pills a) Do NOT work just like steroids (whatever that means) - some work, some are snake oil b) None, NONE are safe to a high degree - every single weight loss medication has some associated and important risk even when used correctly. Some of them, even when apparently safe have led to disaster -

There are three basic classes of drugs: appetite suppression. metabolism "modifiers" and absorption blockers. Each work differently and have different risks. Some are actually reasonable treatments if you do not mind the side effects.

But in general I would not recommend any of them. Ever.

Begin reading here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fenfluramine/phentermine
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-obesity_medication
  • Fozzi43
    Options

I worry because if I'm training her and she has a heart attack or something it's on my patch and I would feel kind of responsible.

How can you say they are safe? It's a BANNED product she's using. It was banned for a reason..that a stupid thing to say.
    Just saying.