double check your weight?

Options

Replies

• shayemimi
    shayemimi Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    stand up straight...lean forward...lean backward...put your feet closer to the top...put your feet closer to the bottom...it's a fun exercise in the morning...LOL! I average it out.

lol this is me exactly :)

I never believe the first # unless it comes up 3 times, lol. And I reset my scale by tapping it with my toe and it goes to 0.0 (digital).
    If I exercise before I eat, I weigh again after, I like to see if the # goes down a bit and sometimes it does! lol It's all in fun tho, and as long as the #'s are going down on average over time,then it's all good! :D
  • itsmyvwbeetle
    itsmyvwbeetle Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I weigh and then weigh again to verify. If its different then the first number then I weigh a 3rd time to verify either the 1st or 2nd number. My scale is pretty good and pretty consistent so usually in 3 readings, 2 are the same and I go with that. A number unverified is just a number, like they always say...measure twice and cut once.
  • cailinlowe
    cailinlowe Posts: 161 Member
    Options

i keep trying until the same number comes up twice.

thats pretty much what im looking for
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    My scales change weight very slightly depending on the position on the floor.

They also sometimes show a 4lb higher figure. I have checked (both against other scales and with some weight plates from a weights set) and the lower figure is closer to 'the truth', so using that. Also, it makes me feel better :).
  • hipsdontlie1
    hipsdontlie1 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I always double check but my scale usually says the same number when I step back on.. or is only 0.2 difference. I would consider getting a new scale if you find this happens often.
  • kittyd7015
    kittyd7015 Posts: 4,546 Member
    Options
    who else gets on the scale a couple of times to make sure its right? I always weigh myself when i first wake up after i pee. this morning i got on and the first time it said 178 (NOOO) and when i tried a bunch more times it was saying 175.4 a bunch .. i waited a few minutes and it says 176.. so i recorded at 176.... comments?

plusside of having a doctor as a mum. super accurate. downside is that she wants to see the number arrrrh xx
  • sarahg148
    sarahg148 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Make sure that your scale isn't wobbly...that it's on a flat surface and not on a carpet. Then hopefully you'll get a more accurate reading. Could be that the battery needs to be replaced??? :)
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Guilty! I don't consider it an "accurate" reading until I step on and off 3 times and it registers the same number. Can you say OCD?
  • Hev_uk
    Hev_uk Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Mine is always higher with my first weigh. So I get off, stand on it again and then double check. the 2nd and 3rd are always the same and makes more sense. Sometimes it can be 8lbs out and I even with water weight I can't gain 8lbs overnight!
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    who else gets on the scale a couple of times to make sure its right? I always weigh myself when i first wake up after i pee. this morning i got on and the first time it said 178 (NOOO) and when i tried a bunch more times it was saying 175.4 a bunch .. i waited a few minutes and it says 176.. so i recorded at 176.... comments?

LOL I've done that. Just remember it's a trend tool and many fluctuations so it really doesn't matter.

Your body loses weight in chunks, not linear. I have found that you can do everything right and your weight loss seems to plateau but if you are patient and keep exercising and eating at a deficit (however slight) you will lose it, it will suddenly "whoosh". There are so many variables for the scale; water retention, digestion, hormones, allergies, sodium, carbs, water intake, DOMS, inflammation, the list goes on. People mistakenly think they lose or gain weight when they eat more or less because of these fluctuations.

Losing weight requires tremendous patience. You will not lose it when you want it or where you want it. The body does its thing. Some apparent plateaus can last a month or so. You cannot make it happen faster. You must focus on two things; calories and exercise. Nothing else matters. Scales and metrics don't matter. The day in and day out grind of exercise and calories are all that matters. It is not very exciting until things fall into place. You get your victories and you ride one victory to the next.

The scale is a trend tool. The scale is good but put it away and only check once a week and only use it as a trend tool. It will fluctuate, it does not matter. Take front side and back progress pictures at least once a month. You will see differences that the metrics won't tell you and it's that little bit of NSV that will keep you going until the next victory.

In maintenance now I don't use the scale anymore and it's such freedom to no longer use it. But unfortunately it's a necessary tool for the fat loss journey.
  • LynnieG85
    LynnieG85 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I always double check!

Make sure your scale is on a hard, level floor, so it's at its most accurate :)
  • bet3120
    bet3120 Posts: 125
    Options
    i always check in the scale first thing in the morning and double check, if the second time is different as the first time i check the third time to be sure :)
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I do this too, but as I get closer to GW (about 20-25lbs), I wonder if it isn't best to weigh weekly instead of more than once a week? Especially as women, we have so many fluctuations that it's enough to drive us nuts! :)
  • know_your_worth
    know_your_worth Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I only get on it once. I do question it though. Usually I'll check it about every morning and see where I'm at. Not extremely focused on the specific number because I don't feel that the small fluctuation matters much in the grand scheme of things. As long as I'm staying on track no worries for me.
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    Luckily my scale is consistent so I don't usually have to double check but I will do that sometimes. :)
  • embracingmycurves
    embracingmycurves Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    stand up straight...lean forward...lean backward...put your feet closer to the top...put your feet closer to the bottom...it's a fun exercise in the morning...LOL! I average it out.
    LOL! That is me on the scale also. Its a great workout!
  • Cylinda30
    Cylinda30 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    lol to funny because I do that :laugh:
  • Aimelish70
    Aimelish70 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    LOL - I'm already a stress case at weigh in, I get on, get my results and jump off. I think I am always afraid it's going to go higher! LOL
  • DeonnPaul
    DeonnPaul Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Write your goal weight on a piece of paper, and then tape it over the scale where your weight appears. Every day you can step on and see your goal and be victorious! :)

All kidding aside, my scale at times drives me to drinking. Wine before noon? Why not? That damn scale has my blood pressure up, and I need to take the edge off. My scale is fancy and digital, but will give different readings sometimes in a plus or minus ten pound range. Usually I have to step on and off about six times until it will settle on one number. When I get the same number three times, I record it as the accurate weight. I am thinking of keeping a cheap scale in my workout room to compare weight readings, but in the end I suppose it doesn't matter. A number is a number, and no matter what is reads I still have to balance my eating and workout if I want to stay strong and be healthy.
  • lrob100
    lrob100 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    The variations on my digital scale drove me nuts! So, I went to Wal-Mart and bought an old-fashioned cheap analog scale. Much much better! No fluctuations.