Porking it?

Options
firstsip
firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
Does anyone else... get a weird taste from pork?

I'm not talking sausage or pepperoni or prosciutto (all of which sound amazing), but pulled pork, pork chops, pork roast, etc.

I've made pork twice in the last two weeks and almost gagged from eating it because it... tasted so odd? Like an almost chemical taste to it? My fiance was like, "I think you've never actually tasted pork from BBQ sauce or super thin pork chops with breading."

That may be true, but it seems like such a weird taste for meat to have. I know people either love or hate cilantro... is this one of those things?

Does anyone else get this weird taste when eating pork?

Replies

• sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure you're the only one.

Pork is wonderful. The Noble Pig, most generous of beasts. Don't you dare say anything against him.
  • sjohnny
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EHsbIcV-6I

It truly is a wonderful magical animal.
  • live2love2012
    Options
    I'm pretty sure you're the only one.

Pork is wonderful. The Noble Pig, most generous of beasts. Don't you dare say anything against him.

I love Pork!!! It is awesome........and very healthy if you choose the right cut :smile:
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I just pulled a smoked pork tenderloin from my freezer that I cooked this summer. Tasted great! Yum.
  • sjohnny
    Options
    I just pulled a smoked pork tenderloin from my freezer that I cooked this summer. Tasted great! Yum.

If you had leftover pork tenderloin from the summer you failed to apply yourself in a manner befitting the exalted status of pork tenderloins.
  • professorRAT
    professorRAT Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I do! I don't dig on swine. I think it is the fat. Lean pork I can handle, but most pork tastes absolutely horrible to me.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Bacon cobs...yummy!!!
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    this thread has greatly disappointed me.
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Pork can have an almost metalic taste when overcooked and unseasoned. You need to cook it slow with a lot of flavorful ingredients to keep it moist and avoid that funky taste. I love slow cooked or pit roasted pork, but a pork chop can easily gross me out.
  • nonstopper
    nonstopper Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    YEAH! I call DELICIOUSNESS!!!!
  • belladonna786
    belladonna786 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    No way! Pork is my staple meat! LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!
  • Melaniec78
    Melaniec78 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Did you buy it at Walmart? I do not buy meats there they inject them with color and fillers to make them look more appealing.
    Also pork is naturally salty (are you adding extra salt- it may be too much).
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you got a bad cut that was maybe "enhanced" with a preservative solution for freshness.

Maybe a trip to the local butcher for a fresher cut of meat?

Pork is awesome, definitely try again :)
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    You may need to try buying your meat from somewhere else. Certain stores carry better meat than others. It shouldn't taste chemically...
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I hate pork...Can't eat it!
  • wildapril
    wildapril Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I wasn't raised eating pork or bacon, so they taste a bit weird to me too. I avoid eating them whenever possible.
  • javajinny
    Options
    I've had that chemically taste twice and both times I notived the meat was shinier than it should have been. I think it was a little spoiled or it may have been like others have said on here and have been injected with "enhancements." I've had great luck with Lean Pork, though, especially the already flavored Hormel pork tenderloins.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    THere are so many great recipes for pork that don't involve barbeque sauce! You do need to season it when you cook it, but I've never noticed a chemically taste. Maybe try buying your pork from another store? How are you cooking it?
  • mikeyboy
    mikeyboy Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Buy your pork from a local butcher, the supermarket pork shoulder & such have a chemical brine added.
  • zombilishious
    zombilishious Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    BACON!!!!!

greasy-bacon-590-1282238110.jpeg