Someone PLEASE EXPLAIN THIS FOR ME!!

Options
2»

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Because your eating close to 1700c and you might be eating too much?

Seriously...

Carbs aren't the best friend in the world for active people when trying to lose weight, they are a tool for loading when racing etc, but practically useless to us really...I mean like heavy carbs so excess of 100g max a day...

I think perhaps your carb intake might be higher than what it should be if your training... I used to get into that pitfall....

You need more protein to rebuild the muscle than glycogen to replenish muscle stores....

Also you say training for 2 hrs? Is that running at say half marathon pace or faster, or marathon/ultra pace? Because your burning of 2100 seems not quite right for that activity, I mean 1200 base + maybe 1200-1400 for running at mod pace for 2hrs means total of 2300-2500... Even if I went for a 2 hr run, the most I would eat total is 1600... Sure I would only "net" 2-400 calories, but I was fine with that as long as kept protein and fats up... carbs during run maybe sure, but didn't go over board as a nice juicy steak is better :D

So I think look at what your eating... For me basically my issue is carbs... Most peoples issue is carbs plain and simple, they have too many...

Hope I somewhat could be of help, even if a little :)

You do not even know her size and you are saying that 1,700 is to much - I lose on 2,000 with no cardio. What does that say? Nothing without knowing either of our stats.

And carbs over 100g are absolutely fine as long as you are not in a calorie surplus because of them (or any macro for than matter) and it does not mean that you are not getting enough protein or healthy fats.

I have between 150g and 220g of carbs and I, a 45 year old female, has no problem losing weight.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    No I haven't gained just while not logging. .. When I don't log I actually have stayed the same. I have been gaining for the last year or stalled weather I log or not. Lost 25lbs with mfp, got the bodymedia to lose the last 10 lbs and have continued to gain. I lift heavy 3 times a week run 15 kms a week and do yoga. People can assume I'm lying to myself about the number of calories I consume or burn but I don't believe that is helpful to my weight loss. That is why I got the body media to get the most accurate picture of what is going on.

Let's use a little bit of logic and common sense here. You've been gaining weight or maintaining for the last year. What do you think this means? You are eating more than you are burning. Maybe you're overestimating your calories burned during exercise, or underestimating the food you intake. Or maybe your base metabolism is slower than it's calculated to be. Who knows, who cares? Either way, if you're gaining over a long period of time then you're in a surplus. You can't gain weight magically from nothing, especially over such a long period of time.

Having said that, you'd need to consume less, or burn more. Or a little of both.

This.

It seemed like you were losing before. Did you up your calories when you got the BMF?
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    i am really not inclined to believe that the OP gained over a pound a week eating 1632 calories--that would mean a maintenance calorie intake of 1132....just not realistic without some serious endocrine issues.

I would guess that it's one of the following: 1) a fluctuation due to water retention from sodium 2) a fluctuation due to water retention from sore muscles 3) improper calorie calculations 4) TOM 5) different scale/inconsistent scale/inconsistent weigh in conditions 6) constipation
    Options

Seriously...

Carbs aren't the best friend in the world for active people when trying to lose weight, they are a tool for loading when racing etc, but practically useless to us really...I mean like heavy carbs so excess of 100g max a day...

I think perhaps your carb intake might be higher than what it should be if your training... I used to get into that pitfall....

You need more protein to rebuild the muscle than glycogen to replenish muscle stores....

Also you say training for 2 hrs? Is that running at say half marathon pace or faster, or marathon/ultra pace? Because your burning of 2100 seems not quite right for that activity, I mean 1200 base + maybe 1200-1400 for running at mod pace for 2hrs means total of 2300-2500... Even if I went for a 2 hr run, the most I would eat total is 1600... Sure I would only "net" 2-400 calories, but I was fine with that as long as kept protein and fats up... carbs during run maybe sure, but didn't go over board as a nice juicy steak is better :D

So I think look at what your eating... For me basically my issue is carbs... Most peoples issue is carbs plain and simple, they have too many...

If I was the OP I'd say that this wasn't helpful AT ALL. Sorry. Carbs are not going to cause her to gain weight--and netting 2-400 calories is not sustainable or healthy, period.
  • runnermomo4
    runnermomo4 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses, I'm not sure what advice I was I was hoping to hear. I can't expect anyone to give advice based on the small amount of info I gave. It easy to simplify it and say I am simply eating more calories than I am burning. But personally I don't feel its that simple. I believe this is a case of how eating a low calorie diet works, but is not maintainable. Looking back at my history on mfp when I lost my first 25 lbs, I was netting 600 - 1000 calories a day. It got me down to 120 lbs but the only way to hit my goal I would have to lower my calories even more. The only thing I noticed when lowering my calories anymore was my running pace and distance suffered, the amount of weight I was able to lift suffered. I became Iron deficient, tired, cranky, started losing my hair and a number of other symptoms. (I was tested for thyroid etc. and everything came back normal with the dr.) Which tells me I was not getting the nutrients or amount of food I needed.
    I am an athlete I enjoy training and in order to achieve my athletic goals I believe I need to fuel my body. I don't over eat, I know when I am full and after three years of logging my food on here I really am a creature of habit and really eat the same foods on average.

There are millions of people out there who don't log food, eat until they are full, make healthy choices and maintain a healthy weight. That is the balance I am trying to find. I don't believe that I have to net only 600 calories in order to be the weight I believe I should be.

I know someone will probably "call" me out as to having inconsistency in my numbers or eating a burger last week and blame failure on that, But I can't go down on my calorie consumption. If I continue cutting calories I eventually have to eat nothing to maintain....

I don't know maybe its time to seek a professional.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    What if your weight doesn't go down to the number you wish but your body composition improves?
    Options
    runnermom04 -- I completely sympathize with you. MAYBE just MAYBE the weight you want to be isn't the healthiest weight for you. I understand that you shouldn't have to eat 600 net to be your desired weight but our body and our own desires/perspective on what's "ideal" is not always in line with one another. I suggest eating at your estimated TDEE--based on your BMF--risk more weight gain to restore your hormones and metabolic rate. That is truly your only hope at this point and if you really are more concerned about your performance and training then you wouldn't hesitate because I can guarantee you'll feel BETTER with proper fueling. Best of luck to you.
  • runnermomo4
    runnermomo4 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your response love4fitness. I appreciate the advice. I don't necessarily need to see a certain number on the scale. But it is very frustrating putting in the effort I have been and seeing my results go backwards. I find it very hard to eat at maintenance, which is why I stopped logging. I am afraid of losing everything I've worked so hard to get.
    Options
    Fear is understandable but you're not currently getting anywhere with your approach. If you're going to gain weight you might as well restore your hormones and metabolic rate in the process. Right now your gaining is without any real benefits as its still a "deficit" and isn't allowing the necessary hormonal changes to occur.
  • Zangpakto
    Zangpakto Posts: 336 Member
    Options

Seriously...

If I was the OP I'd say that this wasn't helpful AT ALL. Sorry. Carbs are not going to cause her to gain weight--and netting 2-400 calories is not sustainable or healthy, period.

If you train a lot it is very sustainable. Also weekly targets I aim for not daily.... Humans did not evolve eating by the clock..l scientific factor you right there.... Carbs? Sure but actually considering health experts and running coaches are finding in studies a high carb intake actually impedes weir loss and decreases performance... Why in the hell would I aim to eat more of something science has proven to be bad to what I believe in?

You say you do not even run or have run or cycled competitively... So our kind of thinking sets are different to start out.

Carbs? PSMF world wide works.... Again a scientific fact that has been proven.. That also is low cals, and no negative effects.

CRON? If done correct it yields the best health benefits of any eating that has ever been done according to blood and hormone markers and responses yet is under 1000 cals before training....

There is a world of scientific excessive that proves calories are a stupid and lame excuse for the not attentive individual. Nutrition is what our bodies require and even if hard to get everything on 6-800c a day, it is very possible and has proven medical benefits, but the normal person will not spend the time needed and that is why it is said to be unhealthy. On 1200+ you do not need to calculate as diligently however your body treats the excess calories badly and it affects your health, but if never tried to do low cal correctly or never read scientific journals or research meterial, then please do not give advice on stuff you actually have no scientific knowledge about.
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    My food calories I eat are accurate I have logged with myfitness pal for 3 years and I keep a very accurate Log. I did take a break from logging the last month or so because everything is making me crazy but my habits didn't change.

Stress can do crazy things to the body. Are things still crazy?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Seriously...

If you train a lot it is very sustainable. Also weekly targets I aim for not daily.... Humans did not evolve eating by the clock..l scientific factor you right there.... Carbs? Sure but actually considering health experts and running coaches are finding in studies a high carb intake actually impedes weir loss and decreases performance... Why in the hell would I aim to eat more of something science has proven to be bad to what I believe in?

You say you do not even run or have run or cycled competitively... So our kind of thinking sets are different to start out.

Carbs? PSMF world wide works.... Again a scientific fact that has been proven.. That also is low cals, and no negative effects.

CRON? If done correct it yields the best health benefits of any eating that has ever been done according to blood and hormone markers and responses yet is under 1000 cals before training....

There is a world of scientific excessive that proves calories are a stupid and lame excuse for the not attentive individual. Nutrition is what our bodies require and even if hard to get everything on 6-800c a day, it is very possible and has proven medical benefits, but the normal person will not spend the time needed and that is why it is said to be unhealthy. On 1200+ you do not need to calculate as diligently however your body treats the excess calories badly and it affects your health, but if never tried to do low cal correctly or never read scientific journals or research meterial, then please do not give advice on stuff you actually have no scientific knowledge about.

Care to post studies where lean individuals did not have significant issues with a VLCD - I can post a bunch where they did. Also, could you cite sources where carbs impeded fat loss (note I say fat and not weight loss) or performance?