Is my mother jealous or just concerned?

Options
ErzaScarlet
ErzaScarlet Posts: 64 Member
It seems to be that every time I loose weight or say I'm going to loose weight my mother is always like you don't need to loose weight.

She gets angry at me when I Exercise am I just being paranoid or is she genuinely jealous of my success?

Does anyone else have a saboteur or demotivater trying to crush their success?

Replies

• felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    It seems to be that every time I lose weight or say I'm going to lose weight my mother is always like you don't need to lose weight.

She gets angry at me when I exercise am I just being paranoid or is she genuinely jealous of my success?

Does anyone else have a saboteur or demotivator trying to crush their success?
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Honestly, the only sabotage I believe in is self sabatoge.

Don't worry about what others say, unless you are trying to adhere to a too low calorie budget.
  • StinkyWinkies
    StinkyWinkies Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Beats me, but if it were me, I'd stop telling her and "just do it."
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Are you overweight? If not, she's probably just concerned.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    1) your mom is like any mom, and wants to build up her kid not tear her down. when i was borderline obese my mother just kept buying me bigger clothes and trying to soothe me

2) she's trying to temper her own insecurities and self esteem issues with her weight by telling you you're fine, when she knows you're both overweight
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    She's not jealous, she's insecure, there is a difference.

Everyone has someone like this in their lives, when we do things to better ourselves it just reminds them of the hill that they have to climb that they think is insurmountable. Just do what you need to do and move on.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Well, do you need to lose weight?
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    She's your Mum, I doubt if a mother would be 'jealous' of their own daughter - surely she'd be happy for you! It's just a mother thing to tell you you don't need to lose weight and you're perfect as you are. You're probably projecting your feelings about yourself onto her.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    Well, since no one can see your profile, none of us can know if you need to lose weight or not. So how would we know if she is concerned or envious?
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    When I was living with my parents...a long time ago, lol, I would get the same thing. Motherly love looking passed everything combined with me going to the gym instead of doing stuff around the house.
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    More importantly, would she be concerned about your use of the word "loose?"
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    She's not jealous, she's insecure, there is a difference.

Everyone has someone like this in their lives, when we do things to better ourselves it just reminds them of the hill that they have to climb that they think is insurmountable. Just do what you need to do and move on.

This!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Well, do you need to lose weight?

This is a better question.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    You didn't say what you weigh, what you want to weigh, or whether you have a history of ED.

Without knowing that, it's impossible to answer this question.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I don't think "jealous" is the right word. Sometimes, when one person chooses to get healthy, people around them who aren't willing to make the same commitments feel ashamed. Its not a comfortable feeling, hence why they may tell you that you are OK the way you are.

Its also possible that your mother is actually concerned. Is there any truth to the idea that you don't need to lose weight? Would your doctor encourage you to lose weight?
  • know_your_worth
    know_your_worth Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    She gets angry at you for exercising? That sounds strange. Exercise is important to stay healthy. Unless you're underweight or you workout too hard, I don't see why she should be concerned.
  • sarahisme18
    sarahisme18 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    You didn't say what you weigh, what you want to weigh, or whether you have a history of ED.

^ this.

But just looking at your diary, you're definitely not eating enough most days. So, she might actually be concerned with good reason.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options

Nah, you don't no silly thing like that. All you need to know is that her mother is like, totally jealous of her because she ruined her mothers vajayjay by being born. So rude!
  • perfectingpatti
    perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    You've said in another post that you've suffered years with eating disorders. My guess, as a mother, is that she's worried about you and not jealous.
  • vvanm
    vvanm Posts: 157
    Options
    She may feel anxious that weight is too big an issue for you and is trying to de-emphasize the importance of it. Without knowing your height, weight and goals it's impossible to say. She may be trying to tell you that you are so much more than a number on a scale, and not communicating that well.