Uncomfortable with the topic of my weight loss

Options
So, this is going to sound weird and I am just wondering if anyone else has this problem. I am very uncomfortable discussing my weight loss, even with those close to me. I am all for discussing the topic of weight loss and getting healthier in general. The problem for me begins as soon as someone mentions my personal weight loss. I don't even like discussing it with my family. My close family has realized this, and they will comment occasionally that I look good or that my jeans are nice, or something like this, but they will never push any further. I just thank them and that's the end of it. My extended family, most of my friends, and anyone I run into who I haven't seen in a while are a completely different story. It seems to be all they want to talk about when they see me. It makes me uncomfortable to talk about it, and I have no idea why. I am lucky that my boyfriend as amazing as he is and will very quickly change the subject when he notices this start happening, as I can never seem to find a polite way to tell them that I would rather not talk about it. Has anyone else had this problem?

Replies

• hipsdontlie1
    hipsdontlie1 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely the opposite! you should be proud of your weight loss and all the hard work you have put in. I love hearing from people how great I look. haha Not sure why you would have this problem but if you really feel uncomfortable then just let them know. Tell them thanks but you don't like talking about it.. that's the only advice I can give you. but honestly, you should be proud of yourself that you have come so far. Just try to keep in mind that most of these people are probably just looking to congratulate you and find out how you did it because they want it for themselves.
  • 1PoisonIvy
    1PoisonIvy Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean, especially when they ask specifically how much weight I have lost.
    Because I'm thinking, they are thinking, "wow she was really fat", or that "she was that fat??"
    Ivy
  • possibri
    possibri Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Yeah... and it's weird, because I'm so proud of myself. But, it's like when someone else notices and points it out, I feel very weird/uncomfortable about it. It's awesome that they notice, but it's just weird. I can talk about health/fitness/weight loss/etc. all day, I can discuss what I'm doing to eat healthy and get in shape, but the second the comments are pretty much only focused on me I get this funny feeling and just want to get out of there or change the subject.

Maybe because it's really personal? Maybe because I'm not used to this kind of attention, and I don't feel it should be that important (at least not important enough to rave over)? I have no idea why that is... but I can totally relate.
  • LesleeBeAlive
    Options
    Not at all. Not even in the slightest.
    But I am an attention *kitten*.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Yes, except I know exactly why I was uncomfortable talking about it--I lost about 50# in 6 months on what might be called the "stress diet." Everyone kept telling me how great I looked, but I felt terrible and had just been not eating at all--not a good thing by any means. I started telling people I had been ill, then the would shut up.
  • ashlbubba
    ashlbubba Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to keep my weight loss a secret too-- not sure how this is going to work 15-20 lbs from now but so far it's going well.. Personally I don't want people watching me lose weight wondering how far I'll go or if I'll fail and gain back double. I just want it to be over and then live my life.. I get it!
  • babeinthemoon
    babeinthemoon Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I get embarassed because I am a wall-flower at heart and I am not use to all the extra attention. There are certain people that I like to talk about what I'm doing... but other than that, I'm trying really hard to keep my struggles close to me. My husband has been smaller than me all of our marriage, so I don't think he completely gets what I'm going through. So, I talk to my 2 really supportive friends the most.

I am thrilled with my weight loss, and am excited about my increase in fitness level... as my actual goal isn't to be a certain size, but to be comfortable with my body enough, and to be strong enough to go backpacking with my husband in the woods.
  • Sjudit84
    Sjudit84 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Not sure why you feel uncomfortable but I am really curious to find out. This has never happened to me...or....it happens sometimes when this is really all they can talk about and I feel like I cannot talk to them about anything else. But it is not that I hate talking about my weightloss, its just not everything I wanna talk about.

Can you specify what aspect of it do you hate? That they think you were so fat before? Or you are afraid after your weightloss people wont behave the same with you? Bcs I am thinking maybe this is something like...something behind the weightloss results that you might not want? Sorry if I cant express myself clearly, english isnt my mother tongue.
  • irishcanadianwoman
    Options
    What about if you just thank them and focus on your health or how you feel? Then change the subject.

Something like, "Thanks. I'm getting healthier.", "Thanks. I'm feeling better.", or "Thanks. I'm enjoying (fill in your favourite activity or exercise here)." Then add a comment about something unrelated, "Did you see the new James Bond movie?" or anything else to introduce a new topic and left them know you are finished having a discussion about your body now!

If you tell them you don't want to talk about it, they may assume that you have health or food issues that are causing you to lose weight.

It is your body so shut the conversation down if you don't want to have it.

Good luck!
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I have lost weight down to 200 lbs 3 times in the past. It is at that point that I start to get a lot of attention about it from fringe family members. It freaks me out so much that these people who never have 1 nice thing to say to me are all of a sudden like "lets go out this weekend cuz you look great". Was I not OK to hang with before? It has upset me time and again. I will fight it with all my might this time. I know to expect them to be A holes.
  • kmm7309
    kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Honestly, it sounds like you are suffering from low self-esteem. Do you feel that way when people draw any attention to you, or just your weight? It sounds like weight is a hard subject for you. You may have, like me, been bullied because of it, or heard a lot about weight in childhood (if you were overweight as a child). If you were not overweight as a child, you may feel very anxious about it now because this is a new battle for you.

I recommend that you start trying to change your attitude to reflect your situation. That sounds mean, but I'm trying to say it in a nice way :smile: Maybe start with someone you trust, like your mom or boyfriend, and have a five-minute conversation about your weight loss. Things you notice that are different, things you like, etc. You can even start with a mirror. Work on conditioning yourself to be accepting of the compliments. Most people, when losing weight, love feedback. Most people know that. These people are trying to tell you that you're doing great and keep it up! Please accept that with pride, because you are. They mean no harm, and I know you know that. It's easier to change your perception of yourself and your journey than it is to change their well-meaning intentions.
  • Sjudit84
    Sjudit84 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Yeah... and it's weird, because I'm so proud of myself. But, it's like when someone else notices and points it out, I feel very weird/uncomfortable about it. It's awesome that they notice, but it's just weird. I can talk about health/fitness/weight loss/etc. all day, I can discuss what I'm doing to eat healthy and get in shape, but the second the comments are pretty much only focused on me I get this funny feeling and just want to get out of there or change the subject.

Maybe because it's really personal? Maybe because I'm not used to this kind of attention, and I don't feel it should be that important (at least not important enough to rave over)? I have no idea why that is... but I can totally relate.

Totally off topic but I LOLed so hard at your weightloss tracker pic...genius!!! :D:D:D
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    I am definately the opposite, I love to tell people my story when they ask.
    Maybe becuase I never thought I would come this far and keep at it so long, that I just want everyone to know that they can do it too!!!

You should be proud of it, you have done fantastic. But I also understand your apprehensions.

ETA: could be you just aren't a fan of any attention. I used to be that way when I was overweight, unless around my friends.
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I am not really ,but if someone asks how much I have lost, it does make me uncomfortable. Because obviously everyone could see that I was HUGE before, but I think most people had no idea how much the number on the scale actually was. So if they ask how much I have lost, and I say over 100 pounds, I know they must be thinking in their heads how much I must have weighed in the first place! Especially since I clearly still have a ways to go!
  • lik_11
    lik_11 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Going through this, too. I've always been good at accepting compliments- but they were always about accessories (clothes, shoes, hair, make-up, jewelry)- not about ME. It's hard for me to accept that people want to talk about my body and how I've gotten it to look this way.... It's hard to admit how much time/energy I've spent in the past year working on myself. It feels too personal to discuss.
  • angiechimpanzee
    angiechimpanzee Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Not at all. Not even in the slightest.
    But I am an attention *kitten*.
    Same here. In fact I'm super excited to reach my goal weight, partly so the comments like "omg how did you do it!" can start flooding in & I can just feel like a guru.

Why would you feel uncomfortable?
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean, especially when they ask specifically how much weight I have lost.
    Because I'm thinking, they are thinking, "wow she was really fat", or that "she was that fat??"
    Ivy

^This. I don't mind discussing how I've done it, but I absolutely avoid stating how much and just say "Not enough"
  • hughtwalker
    hughtwalker Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I feel slightly ashamed of wanting to lose weight, as if it is somehow a manifestation of vanity to want to, especially at my age. furthermore, I have failed to sustain weight loss so many times in my life that I feel a bit of charlatan and hope that people won't really notice so the topic won't come up.

Does that answer your question?
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    say this... "Thank you" and move along. Humility is awesome.
  • LucilleHighball
    LucilleHighball Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    My fear is a little different, it's more if people notice and then I gain weight back, it gets awkward.