Morning Workouts

Options

Replies

• alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I tried it for a few days and found that I was exhausted all day. I'm sure after a while you adjust stop feeling that way, but I literally couldn't function at work and was afraid of getting fired!

I work out right after work and I really look forward to it because I sit on my butt all day at work. It works out well for me but I know not everyone can work it out that way (with having to cook at a certain time/kids/etc).
  • Dunkelheit666
    Dunkelheit666 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Does anyone get their work out in in the early AM? I have tried before but just could not make it a habit. I am thinking about trying an AM workout before work tomorrow and would love a friend/friends to keep me accountable and to stick to AM workouts with me!
    5 am central time i will be up, if not earlier.
  • Amanda0926
    Amanda0926 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I work out 6 mornings a week between 4:30 and 5 am. You can add me if you would like to :)
  • larryc0923
    larryc0923 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I had always heard that working out in the morning was the only way to do it so since I am not typically able to get to the gym in the morning (except the week-end) I used this as an excuse not to workout at all. Now I realize I go when I can go and as long as it is 4-5 times a week then that is good.
  • Dunkelheit666
    Dunkelheit666 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    it should be pointed out that you need to go to bed by 9-10 pm if you intend on being up at 4-5. You need at least 6 hours of sleep to function...at least i do.
  • ash190489
    ash190489 Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I am generally not a morning workout person. I try to occassionally get up and do something but I go to bed late most of the time & if I do workout in the morning I feel like by 1.30-3pm I am exhausted. And I cannot get up in the cold weather or dark cloudy mornings!

However, believe it or not, this week I have done a morning workout every day!!!! It's Sunny early in Australia - Brisbane at the moment and I my body clock has decided this week that it will wake me up at 5.30am or thereabouts everyday! So I have just been thinking "May as well get up and do a little 30-45min cardio workout!" And I have actually enjoyed it. So now I can spend less time at the gym at night focusing on my weight training! So far, this routine is so good!
  • violet976
    violet976 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    If you asked me a few weeks ago, I would have said no chance in hell. Now, however, I find that it's the best way for me to consistently get it done. I love knowing that my workout is mostly behind me all of 40 minutes after I was up. It keeps me from spending the day thinking up excuses for not doing it.
  • MelAb8709
    MelAb8709 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I like to run in the mornings ... I have a dog who needs her morning exercise and I figure I may as well jog instead of walk! Helps me get my cardio in. During the summer I was training for the marathon - it's so much easier to get up and run when it's light outside. Anyway, she was a great running partner, maybe not for the long runs but definitely for the shorter ones.
  • LifeIsNotADressRehearsal
    Options
    I've always been a snooze button person - sleeping in as late as possible. About six months ago, I started working out in the very early am so I'd know I'd get it in no matter what came up later in the day. I actually look forward to it now. I do need an hour to wake up though. Means some silly early mornings!
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I am a mid morning workout person but i've had to switch recently to 6am work outs so that my boyfriend and I could work out together for support. WOW big difference. It is not easy and I did a HUGE AMOUNT of complaining the first morning but after 10 min of getting through the work out, i seem to be okay. I say just keep pushing yourself. It is not easy but you can do it.
    We are doing the INSANITY work out program together each morning and yes its pure insanity. I am also still doing light jogging and lightly working out with weights about three days a week at the gym in conjunction with five days a week of the INSANITY program. I put on some weight in past two months and i'm thoroughly unhappy with myself so i'm going to push myself to help myself and my boyfriend by working out at 6am, even if i hate it.
    I bet you can do it also!!
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I'm in bed by 8:30 and up at 3:00. You have to go to sleep early...even over the weekend, or it's just to tough on Mondays.
  • Melaniec78
    Melaniec78 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I go at 5am. Which I never thought I could manage but it is the only time of day I have no legitamate excuses in the way (to me sleep is not an excuse if I go to bed early). The first week I had to force myself out of bed and by the time I brush my teeth and drive 5 minutes to the gym I am good. Thank god I don't have to talk to anyone my Fiance is quiet and cranky on the car ride too :) I mostly just got up to show him I am more dedicated to this than him, that helped motivate me lol. It is still hard to get up some days and sleep is so enticing but I know if I don't go I need coffee after lunch and if I do I am in an excellent mood without coffee all day.

Not only is working out at 5am new to me the gym is new to me. First time in my life going to a gym because I was always too scared or thought I would look stupid or waste money, but Ive been going for about a month and a half now. :happy:

Good luck and if it is important to you- you will make it habit!!!
  • JohnnyBLean
    JohnnyBLean Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I get up at 4:45 a.m. to start my workout. Several years ago, I invested in a health club quality treadmill. I DVR my favorite shows and watch them while I do my morning power walk. Keeping my mind entertained while my body burns calories makes the time just fly by. I also get strength training in 3-4 times a week during lunch. Good luck to you. No excuses.
  • Colleen892
    Options
    I'm also not a morning person, and I work 2nd shift. I started a water aerobics class that I love, and though it wasn't easy to make it a habit, now when my alarm goes off I look forward to getting in the water and stretching. At first I told myself I just had to show up, but now I'm putting a lot more into it and getting a lot more out! I agree that getting a bag ready the night before is key. I also know exactly what protein shake I'll make. After a couple of weeks of this, I added morning strength training and it wasn't so hard.
    It takes time to make a new habit. Don't beat yourself up and then give up. Just keep setting that alarm.
  • imthejenjen
    imthejenjen Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I'm a stay-at-home mom, but the second I wake up, I start my workout. Reason being: If I wait any longer and don't do it first thing, I will not do it at all. =) I hate working out in AM, but I'm also IN LOVE with working out in the AM. Feels nice to get it out of the way!! :happy: :wink:
  • imthejenjen
    imthejenjen Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    If you asked me a few weeks ago, I would have said no chance in hell. Now, however, I find that it's the best way for me to consistently get it done. I love knowing that my workout is mostly behind me all of 40 minutes after I was up. It keeps me from spending the day thinking up excuses for not doing it.

I feel the EXACT same way!
  • violet976
    violet976 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I get up at 4:45 a.m. to start my workout. Several years ago, I invested in a health club quality treadmill. I DVR my favorite shows and watch them while I do my morning power walk. Keeping my mind entertained while my body burns calories makes the time just fly by. I also get strength training in 3-4 times a week during lunch. Good luck to you. No excuses.

*this*. I got myself a cheap, used mp3 player so I could listen to my favorite music or audio books while I walk. Two birds with one stone.
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I worked out for a while in the mornings and LOVED being done my workouts before work, however I am NOT a morning person. Last month I took off of my riding, so I would get home from work and immediately change and go to the gym in my building. (Except on days when I have my Burlesque class or dance fitness classes which are at 8pm).I work out 5-6 days a week, 2 of those are my classes, 3-4 of those are gym workouts. Now that I am riding again (I ride 5-6 days a week and it takes me a good 2.5 hours to get to the barn, ride and get back) I have been going right after getting back from riding. However the gym has been quite busy during these times so I will have to see if it stays consistent or not. Might have to try to do a morning workout or 2. I don't get home to make supper till 8 or 9 on days I ride and go to the gym so that's tough as well.
  • jhmiron
    Options
    I am not a morning person but I would rather workout in the morning than any other time of day. I started out just doing a three mornings then four and now I workout every morning between 5:15 - 7:00. Give yourself a reward. I would have buy a skinny latte on Friday mornings if I had worked out every morning that week. I learned to love getting up on Fridays! ;) Now I don't think twice about it. I just get up and go and feel good all day! Good Luck!
  • Troublemonster
    Troublemonster Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I am by no means a morning person but on days when I have to be in for a day shift I get my but out of bed and am in the gym by 0630. AS much as I gripe and grumble about being not fully awake yet I always find myself having the BEST workouts on those days. My normal workout time is about 10 am.