can you still eat certain junk/fast foods and lose weight?

Options
13»

Replies

• wazzanz
    Options
    i had two grilled chicken breasts from KFC for 440 calories. 80g of protein :)
    yummy I didnt know they sold grilled chicken breast at KFC! I usually ate crispy.. also do they have that bone on it or no?... and 440 for 2 is great ......

and how much saturated fat.... reason it tastes so good! I always find i eat too much and feel sick afterwards and ask why i ever ate it..
  • DaniKenmir
    DaniKenmir Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Yep, yesterday I had KFC for lunch and steak and pizza for tea, I was under my calories and came up lighter today =)
  • SeaChele77
    SeaChele77 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Calorie in vs calorie out

So technically if you *only* want to lose a few pounds sure you can eat junk as long as you are under your 1200 calories you will probably lose. But if you're eating high fat, high carb, high sodium foods and still under 1200 - it will take you quite a while to lose that 10lbs.

Good luck with that method.
  • happythermia
    Options
    We are the same size (5'2) and have the same calorie allotment.

AND I WAS A SERIOUS JUNKIE! LOL

I still have junk from time to time, but for the most part I just try to eat better. But even if I don't eat so well (nutrition wise), I'm still losing! :-)
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    A calorie is not a calorie. What is your diet like?

Then what else is a calorie?

3-Calories.jpg
  • klindema
    klindema Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    You can still have a calorie deficit, but nutritionally it isn't a good idea- you just aren't getting all the healthy stuff you'd find by eating a variety of lower calorie foods... The good news is you don't have to go cold turkey- I think your tastes change and you learn to appreciate new foods (especially those that keep your hunger at bay.) Good luck!
  • Emily3119
    Emily3119 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Just from a quick glance at your diary...looks like you could use some more fruits an veggies in your day for snacks. Maybe look into some ways to sneak those in, they will definitely help fill you up without hurting your daily calories!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Can you eat these things and be under your calorie goal and still lose weight? im 5'2 and i get 1200 calories a day... will I still lose some weight? I am a junk food addict and trying to help myself... that is why I am here, also to hopefully lose 10 pounds but my main idea is to stop eating junk/fast food because its controlling my life and I get in the worse mood if I dont get any and take the anger out on others.... So I been doing baby steps .... Alot better when I first started 3 days ago though!!

There are some MFPers who would think that *most* of my diet is junk, but my body fat is down 12.35% since I began MFP on July 5. So yes, apparently, you can eat quite a bit of so-called "junk" food and still lost weight.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Yeah as long as it's within your calorie deflict. You probably won't feel too great though.

I ate almost a half a pizza last night and feel fantastic.
    Lets remain objective on this thread.
  • hollyjane77
    Options
    As long as you stay under you calories, you should be able to eat whatever you want and lose weight. Obviously, the less junk you eat, the better though - healthwise
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    I found for me...when I did eat junk, diet soda, processed, and fast foods. I just craved more junk. I did lose weight when I started anyway....but soon the weightloss stopped and I had to make more changes...giving up diet soda, junk...and started eating clean. I feel so much better for it now. I have hit my goal...in fact I went lower then it. I started at 232.8 pounds...my goal was 128 pounds....and ended up at 113.0 pounds. I feel better now then any junk food has ever made me feel!!

Good luck to you : )
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    It's high in sodium but I still eat Taco Bell's crunchy beef fresco tacos and Subway 6 inch whole wheat/turkey/veggies/mustard sandwiches.

As far as junk food goes, I don't eat much of it but when I do, I make sure I have room for it in my daily cals. or have it on a day when I've had a heavy workout. I'm talking something little, not a full blown binge. You have to be able to have treats and foods that you love or it's a DIET and you'll never be able to maintain your weight loss.

Good luck.
  • andiechick
    andiechick Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I havent stopped eating anything, I still eat a candy if i feel like it, or a bite of chocolate, or cake when we have a bday, I went to Carls Jr the other day after 10 months and ate a hamburguer stealing french fries of my ´neighbor´..

So yes you can lose weight, as long as its not all the time, once in a while and moderation is the key.

I completely agree - I've lost 7lb since the beginning of September (only another 11lb to go) and I haven't denied myself anything. I've had pizza, chinese, chocolate and even good nights out drinking. The difference is I don't do it all day everyday and I try and exercise regularly
  • kooltray87
    kooltray87 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    The problem with fast food is most of it is high-calorie. Even healthy restaurants have many high-calorie items. Try reading the nutritional info (or using the MFP food database) before you choose what to eat.

With only 1200 calories, a bag of chips could easily be 1/4 of your daily intake, but it's not healthy or filling, so it will make the rest of the day harder. If you want junk food, try to limit it to only a few squares of chocolate or a 40g bag of chips.

You can also earn more calories by exercising. It takes a lot to burn off a 300 calorie bag of chips, but if you're working out anyway, you can afford a bit more.

Also, make sure you're getting enough nutrition. You still need vitamins, minerals, and protein. You also don't want too much sodium, which most snack foods have in abundance.

Try to eat as healthy as you can stand. You can still have a snack once in a while, but resist the urge to make it a routine. Don't let your cravings control you.

Exactly! If you eat junk food (high calorie food) while trying to stay under your cal limit. You will either starve because one meal will take up all your cals, or you'll have to workout ALLLL DAY. lol Neither of those are too much fun, so eat healthy! Also, junk food IN MODERATION is cool. One Big Mac a month wont kill you. :-P
  • InPieces3
    Options
    I'm so glad I found this thread. I get SO TIRED of people saying I need to cut out my mayo, I need to replace my butter with something else, or that I shouldn't eat fast food... which for the record I don't even hardly do! ALL my stats are good... I exercise DAILY and at least for an hour. I walk/jog and always burn well over 400 calories... sometimes burning 1,000 calories.

I still eat cookies, IN MODERATION. I still eat chips, IN MODERATION. I started this journey with ONE thing in mind... I will not.. absolutely REFUSE to give up foods I love so much. Why do I have to do that if this is just a lifestyle change? I'm not DIETING, I'm changing my life.
    My carbs are never over now... my sodium is never over... my sugar is about even, sometimes over, and my protein is sometimes over and my fiber is ALWAYS over. I drink a ton of water now, and I stay in the 1,500 range. I'm losing inches, and yes, the lbs are coming off slow, but I don't want to lose all fast and furious anyhow and then gain all that back.

If cutting things completely out of your life is what you want, fine... but I'M personally not doing it. Moderation has always been my saying, and I continue to say it... if you are watching what you are eating, and you keep under, why WOULDN'T you lose weight? Especially if you only have fast food occasionally.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    <---- Just ate 5 guys for lunch, stayed with in my calorie goal,have lost 30 pounds and been maintaining for a year almost.

It can be done.. but being on only 1200 calories, it's going to be a bit hard. I suggest a lot of exercise for extra calories or upping your calorie goal.
  • res0sf9v
    Options
    Been doing it for years, OMG all I eat is fast food and candy/chips and i'm not really that fat. only problem is I cannot stick to the calorie deficit usually eat 4000 when only supposed to eat 2000