Making food stamps last

Options
1234568»

Replies

• magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    uhm... do people fail to realize you can have internet access for free? All you need is a laptop, folks.
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    The farmer's market in my area and the CSA (Community Shared Agriculture) both take food stamps. The produce is wayyy cheaper than at the stores, plus it's local, fresh and organic!
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    uhm... do people fail to realize you can have internet access for free? All you need is a laptop, folks.

I keep my network password protected. I don't allow freeloading off of mine.
  • cblevitron
    Options

PSS - Another edit. I'd like to add it's rare that we get to use the whole $350 to just the two of us anyway. We're so low on money all the time, we usually keep $150 then he gives the rest to his dad in exchange for help with a bill/utility. THAT'S how bad off I am. And no it's not by choice, I'm not lazy, I've been searching for a job since I moved to this lil town and do everything from odd jobs and babysitting just to get by.

^^ That is NOT what Food Stamps is for... and I'm fairly certain that constitutes welfare fraud.

Besides i dont think your THAT bad off... you have a roof over your head a person you love next to you and food in your belly... so you dont have all the materialistic crap and all the luxeries... your not homeless your not dieing (some people with major diseases that are bed ridden in hospitals would trade for your spot any day) and your not alone

I do agree that that would fall into welfare fraud :)

If she didn't reserve that 150 to offer in exchange for help with bills, she would probably become homeless, which would make your point invalid.

Sorry but i dont find internet to be a NEED :) Which since she is unemployed and can barely afford to live why does she have internet?

It's not that hard to get access to internet, whether you're paying for it or not. Not everyone pays for their internet.
  • HurricaneElaine
    HurricaneElaine Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    It's not that hard to get access to internet, whether you're paying for it or not. Not everyone pays for their internet.

Yup.
  • KenishaFitness
    KenishaFitness Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I try to shop weekly with my stamps, but pre planning my meals when ever I have time. I try and use coupons.. (sometimes it don't be so many but its ok..) if you shop at walmart, you may be able to price match which actually comes in handy. I try and go for a cheaper product as far as brand wise and stores that I know that have low prices.. ( i stay in a very small town so not to many stores here have exactly that low price_... this has helped me.. I only get nearly $200 a month so I try and make it work.. and so far it has been working so well for me.and I only get what is necessary. I try to get my stamps to roll over...

I also try to by a large amount of food so it can last for the next couple of days by preparing my meals...
  • kittenbobitten
    kittenbobitten Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Even without food stamps, a lot of people have to budget, including me. I am currently on unemployment and receive very little. I was let go from a decent job (for this area) after being severely burned in an accident and having no sick time to cover it. So I am looking for work and am on unemployment but not eligible for food stamps because of total household income. But sometimes I know we could use the help. I try not to judge others who need help though.

Anyway, my advice, and what I do is to buy frozen veggies (which I am fine with compared to fresh on most things) in bulk to make sure I have enough to last 2-3 weeks (for some overlap), but large packages of chicken breasts and stock up on other healthy snacks before I do something else with the money. Then at least I will have things under control for the most part. :)

Hope this helps.
  • eileenchristine
    eileenchristine Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I have gotten them recently after change in finances. I have a hard time spending all the EBT! We get stuff that we never would have gotten before! I guess I was really tight on the $$ before. We ate healthy. Seasonal fruits, frozen veggies, hamburger (stretched big time). Always got nice healthy breads. Fish once in a while. Now with EBT I have to buy more expensive stuff or have too much over monthly. But I can't give up my years of saving at the grocery store. Hard habit to break, so we are going to whole foods (whole ripoff on most things imo) today. Now here you can only purchase food. Have heard in some states you can go to fast food (don't approve of that) But you are allowed to buy candy and soda! Those items are not healthy so we don't buy them. My daughter talks me into getting her seltzer water once a mo. or so but its only 60 cents for the 2 liter.
    Trader Joes, Aldi, and Fareway are the cheapest stores in the area. Trader joe and Aldi are a hike (30 miles) so I rarely go there. Usually just get what is on sale that are good choices.
    I love beans and lentils. Good healthy choices.