Damn You, Mirror. Damn You...

Options

Replies

• FutureSkinnyMama03
    FutureSkinnyMama03 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you bumped this tonight with your post! LOVE your story...now go buy yourself a beautiful new mirror that doesn't lie!!!!
  • txbelle01
    txbelle01 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    That there my dear is called unconditional love! not many people are lucky enough to have a man like yours! Sounds like a keeper! I too have a GREAT SUPPORTING HUSBAND and it make me appreciate him every day more so than yesterday and tomorrow! :) Congrats on ur weight loss and journey to a healthier you!
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Aww, that was so sweet of him! You've really got a wonderful man in your life!
  • My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Love this!
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I've been working SO hard to lose my honeymoon and baby weight. Counting my calories EVERY DAY, and getting in exercise whenever I could. I've lost about 20 lbs, but for some reason, I still felt and LOOKED disgusting. I'm 5 feet tall, so I know I'm short, but I have never looked so squat and dumpy and FAT in my entire life. I looked in the mirror and all I saw was short, fat legs with SADDLEBAGS forming on the outside of my hips, (which I've never ever had before!) poochy stomach, and saggy butt.

Last night I was standing naked in front of our full-length mirror (the only full-length one in the apartment; a cheap little skinny one I picked up at Wal-Mart years ago. It's not even real glass, just reflective plastic, lol) fretting and sighing and wondering WHAT AM I DOING WRONG???? Why did I look so bad? I have always been my own toughest critic, but I LEGITIMATELY looked really fat! What was going on??

Just then my husband walked past and commented proudly, "Look at you, skinny-@ss!" I glared at him through tears, and asked him how he could possibly think I was skinny, when the evidence was plainly staring him in the face right there in the mirror. Just look at these saddlebags, and inner thigh rolls, I said to him, on the verge of crying.

My husband looked at me, then at the mirror. He walked over to the mirror, inspected it, and pushed on it, flat against the wall. I watched as my reflection lengthened; my legs slimmed and grew about four inches, the saddlebags melted away, my stomach flattened and my butt magically lifted. I looked hot!!

The mirror had been bulging outward at a CONVEX ANGLE. For whoever knows how long! When I looked at my reflection, it was no WONDER I thought I looked fat. I'd been judging myself by essentially looking at myself through the back of a spoon!

My husband let the mirror go, and my reflection bowed back into Fat Molly. He said, "This is how you see yourself," then he pressed it into the wall again. "And this is how I and the rest of the world sees you."

I really DID start crying then, but for a completely different reason. :)

Anyone out there who just can't see progress in their own eyes, just remember: Sometimes the mirror really DOES lie!

Great man, your husband!
  • jessgumkowski88
    jessgumkowski88 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    wow awesome story <3 made my night
  • penguinlally
    penguinlally Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    yay---now I'm feeling a little verklempt
  • vanessalillian82
    vanessalillian82 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I just teared up a little!

You know, I have been tempted to steal the rare changeroom mirror that did me justice ;)
  • serenamaki
    Options
    ok, so if you knew me, you would laugh at this-buy damn mirror.
    your post made me laugh. And I didn't think that I could laugh today.
    thank you, and thanks hubby!
  • jessready
    jessready Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Great story!!!
  • Daysednconfused
    Daysednconfused Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    That was friggen awesome!
  • laurelderry
    laurelderry Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I LOVE this post! :)))
  • PHr34k0wt
    PHr34k0wt Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Aw such a Good post!!
  • MrsAnderson_GettingHealthy
    Options
    How sweet of him! It sounds like he did a wonderful job of helping you get through what you were feeling. You're right, mirrors do lie. Sometimes our eyes lie to us and we see ourselves completely different than everyone else sees us. It's a sad but, true story.

I am 40 weeks pregnant, so I know that I teared up at this due to pregnancy hormones but, this was a beautiful story. Thank you so much for sharing. Congratulations on your "hot bod" ;)
  • stacibuk
    stacibuk Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    your hubbie is a lovely man
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Oh, I like that!!! Thanks for sharing :-)
  • ChristinaR720
    Options
    This is absolutely beautiful.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Shameless bump
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • TribeHokie
    TribeHokie Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    that is absolutely adorable
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!