Is Running Really Bad For You?

Options
I'm in the process of training myself to run and I'm slowly getting better at it (ran 5 miles in 61 minutes last weekend; yay!). I've been struggling with losing weight for a few years now and have decided to use running as my form of cardio to help me lose weight. But a personal trainer told me that running is bad on your joints. He suggested other forms of cardio that can be substituted for running. Realistically speaking, for me, running is the only one I know I can consistently do to stick to my weight loss regimen.

Because I don't want to go back to making excuses or not exercising, I'm thinking of just sticking to running until I get to my weight loss goal. Is it really that bad for one's body?

Replies

• angelgtchick
    angelgtchick Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the 5 miles, that's great! I am also getting into running, I love competing in 5Ks (though I am just competing against my own time, I'm not nearly as fast as most). I try to add in some cardio time on the elliptical once or twice a week. It burns calories while giving my legs (namley joints and shins) a break between runs. Perhaps that would help?
  • jordanlell
    jordanlell Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Sure, it can be hard on your joints, but if it's what you'll stick to then do it while you can! I personally can never get myself to stick to running, so I applaud you. Just make sure you're wearing good shoes, running with proper form, etc. If you're still concerned, I'd talk to a doctor about it and see what they can tell you.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I'm in the process of training myself to run and I'm slowly getting better at it (ran 5 miles in 61 minutes last weekend; yay!). I've been struggling with losing weight for a few years now and have decided to use running as my form of cardio to help me lose weight. But a personal trainer told me that running is bad on your joints. He suggested other forms of cardio that can be substituted for running. Realistically speaking, for me, running is the only one I know I can consistently do to stick to my weight loss regimen.

Because I don't want to go back to making excuses or not exercising, I'm thinking of just sticking to running until I get to my weight loss goal. Is it really that bad for one's body?

Running is certainly harder on your joints than some other forms of cardio, but if you love it and are consistent with it, stick to it! Sometimes that is more important than the specific exercise itself.
  • 51powerski
    51powerski Posts: 66 Member
    Options

Stick to what you enjoy. It is true to a certain extent that running is pretty high impact cardio activity. You can mitigate this with good form, decent kit and running on softer surfaces. You don't have to do all of one activitiy as well you can cross train to minimise injury risk from focusing purely on one activity.

Bear in mind anyone can qualify as PT these days, not all know what they are talking about.
  • nefbaker
    Options

Being heavy is harder on your joints. I started running at 250 lbs. and have done two half marathons. My doctor warned me about my joints, but what he said was to keep at it, and make sure I had really good running shoes. I'm now at 188, and it is easier, but I can still tell when it is time for new shoes - my knees hurt. Voila! New shoes
  • BubbleGumLace
    BubbleGumLace Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks for all the responses. I really like this place; wish I had found it sooner.
  • ejwme
    ejwme Posts: 318
    Options
    if you're severely overweight, watch your joints. I'm talking morbidly obese. But if it's the only thing you know you'll do, then do it! Just pay attention to your joints. Get fitted at a proper running store for proper running shoes, run on crushed stone trails, a track, or in a quiet street (asphalt) if you can instead of concrete. If concrete is all you have, run on it. Pay attention to your running form, bad form is bad on the joints. Good form won't. Google it, watch videos, pay attention to your body.

Couch to 5k program can get you to running for 30 minutes slowly enough to avoid major injuries if you pay attention.

Running isn't bad on joints. Excess weight, bad shoes, and bad form are bad on joints.
  • theloppi
    Options
    It strengthens your joints! It's what our bodies are designed to do. Just make sure you have some proper shoes to absorb the shock of running on the road. My mother is 53 and just ran a marathon on a mountain so I think that says enough :D. Good luck and enjoy it!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Sure, it can be hard on your joints, but if it's what you'll stick to then do it while you can! I personally can never get myself to stick to running, so I applaud you. Just make sure you're wearing good shoes, running with proper form, etc. If you're still concerned, I'd talk to a doctor about it and see what they can tell you.

This plus proper stretching (dynamic before, static after) and plenty of rest days to allow your body to recover. Listening to your body is very important too. If your hips, back or knees hurt - obviously something is wrong. I had a lot of hip issues when I started running and learned it was due to weakness in my core, especially lower back. So I took a break from running for a few months and added some strength traning for my lower back and it's been fine ever since.

Running in and of itself isn't bad for you but it CAN lead to injuries if done improperly, just like any other activity.
  • lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Who has two thumbs and ran 34.5 miles last week? This girl!! BAD FOR YOU?!? LOL!!!

I'm in the best shape of my life b/c I am prepping for a few half-marathons and a full. Ignore any trainer who can make general statements like that. Look at all of the 70 and 80 year olds still running marathons! Look at all of the people running around outside and looking so happy and fit! Your body is designed to run. If done in bad form or with bad shoes it can be bad. If overdone or you push speed or distance too fast, it can be bad. So don't do that ;)

My new fave book - Born to Run.
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I have been a runner for over 10 yrs. and logged tons of miles. Running is not bad for most people if they don't have any preexisting problems with their feet, knees, etc. It does create wear and tear, but so does any exercise that you do for years and years on a daily basis. The benefits far outweigh the drawbacks. Worst case scenario is you become an endurance runner, and get incredibly fit, and you develop knee problems and a result, and in 10-15 years and you have to switch activities.

While you are learning to run, learn proper from to minimize impact. Don't bother with learning different running styles right now... there is a lot of disagreement about which styles are best for you. Just get on a treadmill and try to run without sounding like a stomping elephant, and you will be running with less impact and probably in the style most suited to your own biomechanics.
  • Leigh_b
    Leigh_b Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    If you like running you should stick with it. I started running a year and a half ago because the calorie burn is so much higher for the time investment compared to other cardio options. Also, I didn't need to go to the gym and use a machine, I could just walk right out my door. Year-to-date I have run 416 miles and have completed 1 5K, 3 10Ks, and 2 1/2 Marathons. Good shoes are extremely important but as long as you have the right shoes and like running you should stick with it. It will help you lose weight and then your joints won't feel the impact quite as much. Just don't over do it. Too much too fast can cause you an injury and then more time off than you want to take. Good luck!
  • jordanlell
    jordanlell Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks for all the responses. I really like this place; wish I had found it sooner.

You're welcome, and welcome to MFP!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I coach a learn to run program and we have guest speakers come in during the program. One of them is the head of our running club, a doctor. This question inevitably gets asked.
    He tells about how growing up, people used to tell him this, including his grandmother. So when he became a doctor, he took a specific interest in this topic (he is not a sports doctor). Anyway, he assures the new runners that running is not bad for you. He can list studies of arthritis and all the other things that people claim to be affected negatively by running. In fact, I believe there is one around that shows that running helps maintain cartiledge in the bones.
    As someone else mentioned above - what he says is that being overweight is far harder on your joints than running is.

If you like it, RUN!
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I always thought that I would have "bad knees" as I got older. In reality, I was just too heavy and my knees were weak like every other muscle or joint in my body because I didn't use them. Conditioning myself to run, and subsequent running and weight loss made my knees stronger. They're even stronger now since I started doing dead lifts, power cleans, lunges, and squats.

But anyone else catch this:
    a personal trainer told me that running is bad on your joints.

Why would a PT say this when it's clearly not true? Maybe this may have something to so with it. Running is bad for PT business.
    Also, I didn't need to go to the gym and use a machine, I could just walk right out my door.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Running is terrible for you and should be avoided at all costs!

It leads to chronic awesomeness! But it will make your uterus fall out...
  • DontThinkJustRun
    DontThinkJustRun Posts: 248 Member
    Options

Exactly, I lost my uterus 2 races ago and I'm so awesome right now, it's kinda disgusting...

In all seriousness, for some people it's really hard on the body for others it's great. Some studies say it increases bone density. Bottom line, do what makes you happy.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options

Well this explains all the uteruses (uteri?) I see lying on the trail.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options

Well this explains all the uteruses (uteri?) I see lying on the trail.

Indeed, just go to the finish line of any big city marathon, the street will be lousy with uteri...
  • BubbleGumLace
    BubbleGumLace Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I definitely need to invest in a good pair of running shoes. I run on trails, which are essentially concrete sidewalks. And I do believe that I need to practice good form, because sometimes when I run, my ankles and lower legs feel really heavy. From all the responses, I'm not going to stop running; I'll just make the changes noted above.