Is Running Really Bad For You?

Options

Replies

• Smurfette1987
    Smurfette1987 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    It strengthens your joints! It's what our bodies are designed to do. Just make sure you have some proper shoes to absorb the shock of running on the road. My mother is 53 and just ran a marathon on a mountain so I think that says enough :D. Good luck and enjoy it!

Completely off topic... was it the Snowdon marathon? If it was, serious kudos to your Mum!
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    Idk. For those who've run without injury, great!. But:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3578639

Sixty runners belonging to two clubs were followed for 1 year with regard to training and injury. There were 55 injuries in 39 athletes. The injury rate per 1,000 hours of training was 2.5 in long-distance/marathon runners and 5.6 to 5.8 in sprinters and middle-distance runners. There were significant differences in the injury rate in different periods of the 12 month study, the highest rates occurring in spring and summer. In marathon runners there was a significant correlation between the injury rate during any 1 month and the distance covered during the preceding month (r = 0.59). In a retrospective analysis of the cause of injury, a training error alone or in combination with other factors was the most common injury-provoking factor (72%). The injury pattern varied among the three groups of runners: hamstring strain and tendinitis were most common in sprinters, backache and hip problems were most common in middle-distance runners, and foot problems were most common in marathon runners.

FIFTY FIVE injuries in 39 runners.

This one, from 2007:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17473005

The purpose of this study was to present a systematic overview of published reports on the incidence and associated potential risk factors of lower extremity running injuries in long distance runners. An electronic database search was conducted using the PubMed-Medline database. Two observers independently assessed the quality of the studies and a best evidence synthesis was used to summarise the results. The incidence of lower extremity running injuries ranged from 19.4% to 79.3%. The predominant site of these injuries was the knee. There was strong evidence that a long training distance per week in male runners and a history of previous injuries were risk factors for injuries, and that an increase in training distance per week was a protective factor for knee injuries.

Just saying: be careful!!!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    My knees, hips, ankles, etc were in a helluva lot worse shape as a couch potato than as runner who strength trains.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Running rocks.

Work on flexibility, strength train to help protect your joints, and build your mileage SLOWLY to give your joints/tendons time to get accostomed to the movement/pounding, and you'll be fine!
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options

Sixty runners belonging to two clubs were followed for 1 year with regard to training and injury. There were 55 injuries in 39 athletes. The injury rate per 1,000 hours of training was 2.5 in long-distance/marathon runners and 5.6 to 5.8 in sprinters and middle-distance runners. There were significant differences in the injury rate in different periods of the 12 month study, the highest rates occurring in spring and summer. In marathon runners there was a significant correlation between the injury rate during any 1 month and the distance covered during the preceding month (r = 0.59). In a retrospective analysis of the cause of injury, a training error alone or in combination with other factors was the most common injury-provoking factor (72%). The injury pattern varied among the three groups of runners: hamstring strain and tendinitis were most common in sprinters, backache and hip problems were most common in middle-distance runners, and foot problems were most common in marathon runners.

This one, from 2007:

The purpose of this study was to present a systematic overview of published reports on the incidence and associated potential risk factors of lower extremity running injuries in long distance runners. An electronic database search was conducted using the PubMed-Medline database. Two observers independently assessed the quality of the studies and a best evidence synthesis was used to summarise the results. The incidence of lower extremity running injuries ranged from 19.4% to 79.3%. The predominant site of these injuries was the knee. There was strong evidence that a long training distance per week in male runners and a history of previous injuries were risk factors for injuries, and that an increase in training distance per week was a protective factor for knee injuries.

Yes, too much too fast causes injuries. That's why they call them "over user injuries". The good thing is, they are predominantly soft tissue injuries which can be completely fixed with rest and strengthening, unlike a torn pectoral muscle from bench pressing.

PLEASE do not say that I'm stating weight lifting is bad and dangerous. I am simply using that injury as an example.
  • anemoneprose
    Options

This one, from 2007:

Yes, too much too fast causes injuries. That's why they call them "over user injuries". The good thing is, they are predominantly soft tissue injuries which can be completely fixed with rest and strengthening, unlike a torn pectoral muscle from bench pressing.

PLEASE do not say that I'm stating weight lifting is bad and dangerous. I am simply using that injury as an example.

Not sure how true that is, about soft tissue injuries. I know that built-up scarring can cause nerve impingement, and tendonitis can also predict arthritis. Plus, in reality, hardly anyone gets a proper diagnosis in a reasonable amount of time, which means people can easily - and apparently, do - limp around or push through it and cause worse problems through either further trauma or compensation.

Any exercise can cause injury, but running - not necessarily because of what it is, just because of how most people encounter it, and what they bring with them - seems to cause a lot of problems, for a lot of people. Women in particular are often not configured to do it very well, because of the hip angle.

Not saying it's impossible to work around that, learn great form, build up slowly, etc. But IN PRACTICE I'm not sure how many people have either the insight to figure out what they're doing wrong, or, have access to the kind of help that will really prevent injury. I think people who've done ok probably lucked out with good biomechanics, or some kind of latent running talent.
  • MoreBean13
    Options

This one, from 2007:

Not sure how true that is, about soft tissue injuries. I know that built-up scarring can cause nerve impingement, and tendonitis can also predict arthritis. Plus, in reality, hardly anyone gets a proper diagnosis in a reasonable amount of time, which means people can easily - and apparently, do - limp around or push through it and cause worse problems through either further trauma or compensation.

Any exercise can cause injury, but running - not necessarily because of what it is, just because of how most people encounter it, and what they bring with them - seems to cause a lot of problems, for a lot of people. Women in particular are often not configured to do it very well, because of the hip angle.

Not saying it's impossible to work around that, learn great form, build up slowly, etc. But IN PRACTICE I'm not sure how many people have either the insight to figure out what they're doing wrong, or, have access to the kind of help that will really prevent injury. I think people who've done ok probably lucked out with good biomechanics, or some kind of latent running talent.

Poor training is not the fault of the activity.
  • anemoneprose
    Options
    No it isn't. But improper form with running in particular is statistically likely (rampant, even), and lots of people get hurt. Not everyone. Obviously!
  • LorinaLynn
    Options

Word.

Plus... people who are physically active are of course going to be at risk for injury, just like people who ride or drive in automobiles are more prone to car accidents than a shut-in who never leaves the house.
  • valeriebpdx
    valeriebpdx Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Plus... people who are physically active are of course going to be at risk for injury, just like people who ride or drive in automobiles are more prone to car accidents than a shut-in who never leaves the house.

This. Also, the study only used club runners--these are serious people pushing themselves, whether to run long, fast, or both. The OP wants to know is running safe, in general: Yes. I get a lot more injuries when I am running marathon distance than when I am just running for joy and sanity, but even these could probably be managed or avoided if I were more conscientious with foam rolling, stretching, warming up longer, etc.
  • anemoneprose
    Options

Word.

Right. I just think that someone coming from a sedentary lifestyle, who doesn't yet know their ability, should maybe think about choosing a sport with a lower incidence of injury:

http://www.sportsinjurybulletin.com/archive/0123-common-sports-injuries.htm

About 85 per cent of elite and recreational badminton players (!) are injured during an average year, 65 per cent of regular runners are hit by the injury bug, and 21 percent of walkers are afflicted (by definition, an 'injury' is a physical problem severe enough to force a reduction in training).

When injury rates are expressed per hour of activity, risk of injury can be ranked by sport. Not surprisingly, such rankings show that sports like rugby and lacrosse produce the most mayhem, with about 30 injuries per 1000 hours of activity (rates above 5 per 1000 hours are considered high). Basketball and squash are also problem producers, with around 14 injuries per 1000 hours. Running and high-intensity aerobic dance follow fairly closely, with 11 injuries per 1000 hours (or about one per 100 hours).

A variety of other sports are ranked below, with the number of injuries per 1000 hours of activity in parentheses ('Injuries in Recreational Adult Fitness Activities,' The American Journal of Sports Medicine, vol. 21 (3), pp. 461-467, 1993).

1. Alpine skiing (8)
    2. Rowing machine exercise (6)
    3. Treadmill walking or jogging (6)
    4. Tennis (5)
    5. Dancing classes (5)
    6. Resistance training with weight machines (4)
    7. Resistance training with free weights (4)
    8. Outdoor cycling (3.5)
    9. Stationary cycle exercise (2)
    10. Stair climbing (2)
    11. Walking (2)
  • anemoneprose
    Options

This. Also, the study only used club runners--these are serious people pushing themselves, whether to run long, fast, or both. The OP wants to know is running safe, in general: Yes. I get a lot more injuries when I am running marathon distance than when I am just running for joy and sanity, but even these could probably be managed or avoided if I were more conscientious with foam rolling, stretching, warming up longer, etc.

Ok, yes, ideally, everyone would be doing that, but the REALITY is most people don't. Most people get injured. The stat above is 65% of **recreational** runners. That is what happens with running, as it is likely to be practised by most people.

It's probably obvious that I'm in that 65%, and am still pissed that I now can't do a crapton of things I would really love to be able to do with my new body/life. And yeah, I would like others to maybe not experience the same thing.

Lol. Off soapbox now, as you were :)
  • MoreBean13
    Options

Word.

Right. I just think that someone coming from a sedentary lifestyle, who doesn't yet know their ability, should maybe think about choosing a sport with a lower incidence of injury:

http://www.sportsinjurybulletin.com/archive/0123-common-sports-injuries.htm

About 85 per cent of elite and recreational badminton players (!) are injured during an average year, 65 per cent of regular runners are hit by the injury bug, and 21 percent of walkers are afflicted (by definition, an 'injury' is a physical problem severe enough to force a reduction in training).

When injury rates are expressed per hour of activity, risk of injury can be ranked by sport. Not surprisingly, such rankings show that sports like rugby and lacrosse produce the most mayhem, with about 30 injuries per 1000 hours of activity (rates above 5 per 1000 hours are considered high). Basketball and squash are also problem producers, with around 14 injuries per 1000 hours. Running and high-intensity aerobic dance follow fairly closely, with 11 injuries per 1000 hours (or about one per 100 hours).

A variety of other sports are ranked below, with the number of injuries per 1000 hours of activity in parentheses ('Injuries in Recreational Adult Fitness Activities,' The American Journal of Sports Medicine, vol. 21 (3), pp. 461-467, 1993).

1. Alpine skiing (8)
    2. Rowing machine exercise (6)
    3. Treadmill walking or jogging (6)
    4. Tennis (5)
    5. Dancing classes (5)
    6. Resistance training with weight machines (4)
    7. Resistance training with free weights (4)
    8. Outdoor cycling (3.5)
    9. Stationary cycle exercise (2)
    10. Stair climbing (2)
    11. Walking (2)
    I feel like you're really on the warpath here. Like you previously said, most of the risk is because of poorly designed training, or a lack of education about injury prevention protocol. I don't know why you're assuming that because the OP is new to the sport and overweight, that she is unable to educate herself and figure out how to participate in the sport safely. She has posed the question here, which indicates to me that she's willing to learn and try to do it right. Being out of shape is NOT a reason to be scared of a sport, it's a reason to proceed with caution. I feel like you're trying to scare the OP away from a sport that can be really healthy and fulfilling! There are TONS of overweight runners here and in the real world. I think you need to cool your jets a bit here.
  • anemoneprose
    Options
    Whatever the reason for the problem, 65% of all recreational runners experience injury. Caution is probably a good idea. I didn't say, 'don't do it'.

I'm not assuming anything about the OP, other than that she is not a runner - sorry, she's a beginning runner.

Also, OP asked about risk & running, specifically. It's great that everyone here has had good experiences. I don't begrudge anyone that! But those are anecdotal. The stats give a fuller picture.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    The stats give a fuller picture.
    There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
  • LorinaLynn
    Options
    What percentage of people, just plain jive old people, experience injury? I almost broke my foot making my bed. Wrenched my back so many times... once spectacularly while cleaning up cat vomit. Injured my knee carrying a dead dog while working at the vets. Slipped on ice and fell down my back porch steps, twice exactly two weeks apart. Re-injured a sprained wrist because I didn't slow down enough when pushing open a hospital door. Got a nifty Harry-Potter-esque scar on my forehead from walking into a birdfeeder hanging in my tree. Can't remember all the times I've twisted an ankle or knee or had any number of joints dislocate.

So... yeah, I had a stress fracture after a year of running. Considering how accident prone I was before joining here, having only one overuse injury in the two years I've been active and athletic is really frickin' amazing to me. :laugh:
  • anemoneprose
    Options
    What percentage of people, just plain jive old people, experience injury? I almost broke my foot making my bed. Wrenched my back so many times... once spectacularly while cleaning up cat vomit. Injured my knee carrying a dead dog while working at the vets. Slipped on ice and fell down my back porch steps, twice exactly two weeks apart. Re-injured a sprained wrist because I didn't slow down enough when pushing open a hospital door. Got a nifty Harry-Potter-esque scar on my forehead from walking into a birdfeeder hanging in my tree. Can't remember all the times I've twisted an ankle or knee or had any number of joints dislocate.

So... yeah, I had a stress fracture after a year of running. Considering how accident prone I was before joining here, having only one overuse injury in the two years I've been active and athletic is really frickin' amazing to me. :laugh:

I want to get out, but you keep pulling me back in, lol!

Life is dangerous anyway, no risk no reward, true true! (Also, sorry, that is terrible luck :( )

OP asked about running, though.

I too feel MUCH better - sharper, more energetic; better as a person sort of generally - now that fitness is part of my life. I loved running for the while I did it. Which makes the limitations I've got now doubly frustrating.

As for the stats, of course they can be and are regularly manipulated. What that means to me is that if you're interested, you read the study, and assess its design*. It's not all junk, or opinion. At the very least it offers an interesting starting point for maybe a different question.

(*I didn't do that here, but you're of course welcome to check any of those links out further if you wish.)
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Running is not bad for you. Running is the best thing anyone could ever do for themselves. I worship at the altar of running. Make sure you have good form and be aware of the forces you are placing on your joints. Watch some videos about proper running technique on youtube and go from there, that's what I did. It was difficult at first but now the mid-foot strike is natural for me and I don't raise my knees anymore. I just don't think about it. The next most important thing is get yourself a pair of shoes that are right for your feet and gait. The best way to do it is to go to a local running shop with knowledgeable people who will actually analyze your gait in some way. I am an overpronator so I use shoes with some support, currently the Asics 1170. Ask your doctor before you start any new exercise program especially if you have health problems. Good luck and get out there and run!
  • v70t5m
    v70t5m Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Another thing to consider ... alternating with another activity to minimize the wear and tear on the body by performing different types of exercise - cross training.

Weight training, kickboxing, canoeing, etc. Find something else you enjoy doing, and intersperse your running with that other activity. Your body will be healthier by experiencing different types of strain, rather than the same type over and over and over.

I'm much healthier and less injury prone with cross training than I ever was as a single activity "athlete."
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Running is terrible for you and should be avoided at all costs!

It leads to chronic awesomeness! But it will make your uterus fall out...

and it made me fat too......:laugh: :laugh:

I have a bit of a problem with the definition of injury being used - it's pretty vague. Think about it, if I pull a hamstring and cut back on my volume for a couple of weeks I'm injured. As Carson aptly pointed out....there are lies, damn lies and statistics.