Property Virgin..

Options

Replies

• california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    That's pretty expensive..
    nah, they probably throw out half a mil loans to anybody making 50K or more with decent cred. now-a-days.

We got approved for 300K off my 20K grad. student stipend (we're in a house tha cost half that though).

average household income here is 220k a yr

as in a specific zip code thats full of pricey houses? because no town etc has that high of an avrg income unless you live in the same town as Warren buffet and thats causing the curve to be way messed up

Actually I assumed that she lived in Palo Alto. Crap, I've lived in CA for so long that $500, 000 for a house seems cheap.
  • smiley245
    smiley245 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Hope they accept your offer :) Good Luck

I don't think the price of the house too expensive....it all depends on location and market. :flowerforyou:
  • Fox_n_sox
    Fox_n_sox Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Hopefully it's a cedar mill... Hear they keep the moths away. ;)
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    nah, they probably throw out half a mil loans to anybody making 50K or more with decent cred. now-a-days.

We got approved for 300K off my 20K grad. student stipend (we're in a house tha cost half that though).

Ha, that' awsome. Same thing happened to me. I was like "Really!?", "How about we stick with the 190K I came in for and I'll stay in the house for more than 6 months".

me being me, when discussing the length (15 vs. 30) and rate we qualified for on our home loan and the options for so much down vs. monthly payments and all that, I straight told the guy "our goal is to make your company as little money as possible".
  • Musikelektronik
    Musikelektronik Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    cool story. now you look like a douche.

:laugh:

P.S. You're from Statesboro. Do you ever get the "Statesboro Blues"? The Allman Brothers Band had them once. :smile:
  • clydethecat
    clydethecat Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    i live in a county that is very expensive, at one point the median home price was over $700k... which is why i will be buying in the next county over, prices are still reasonable there.... not as pretty, but you cant have everything.
  • AimersBee
    AimersBee Posts: 775 Member
    Options

as in a specific zip code thats full of pricey houses? because no town etc has that high of an avrg income unless you live in the same town as Warren buffet and thats causing the curve to be way messed up

had to look it up cus i haven't seen the statistic in a while, it's at 177k per household now i guess.. but yeah that's for the town... not postal code
  • Musikelektronik
    Musikelektronik Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    te7KJ.gif

^^^ This is so awesome! I'll admit to liking the OC Real Housewives.
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    That would get you a townhouse here.
  • LucilleHighball
    LucilleHighball Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Exciting!
  • Retiredmom72
    Retiredmom72 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I love watching hgtv. The cost of property in various locations around the world. Congrats on making the offer. Hope you get it.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    ?? dude. My first house cost $60,000.00. >.< I'd be terrified of a half a mil house.
  • krnlcsf
    krnlcsf Posts: 310
    Options
    Good luck on your offer! Nothing like your first time...

I live in the suburbs of Toronto.

half a mill gets you a 1,500 single detached, 15 to 20 year old house with a single garage and a 36' by 85' lot.

In Toronto, it gets you about a 600 square foot condo in a nice part of the downtown core.

i too live in the suburbs of the GTA and was thinking the same... half a mill ain't so much, when my wee little 1350 sq ft townhouse is nearly worth this much at 4 years old. but i guess it depends where you live...

i looked at a property (just for fun) once in whistler... on blueberry hill. no house on it, 2.2 million$... is that where you house is?? if so, can i visit??
  • AimersBee
    AimersBee Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    That would get you a townhouse here.

i grew up where you're living right now... and the house market here is pretty much exactly what it is there...
  • melsmith612
    melsmith612 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I assumed the house was in CA also... different areas of the country see different values, especially within bigger cities. My first house was a 2 bedroom 1200 sq ft townhouse in Fort Lauderdale that ran me $80k and it was very exciting the first time around to have the offer accepted and move in and make it my own. Good luck to you! And don't get discouraged if your offer isn't accepted the first time around... some sellers are more interested in getting a certain number than actually selling.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Just put an offer on a half a mill house... hopefully I get it :)

Awwww, and you're one of those people.....
  • melduf
    melduf Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    The house I currently live in was sold 40K 7 years ago...

During the summer, we invite everyone. There's about 4 or 5 fifth wheel parked in the yard, and there is still enough place to throw a huge BBQ.

We see our horses in the field from the kitchen window.

To make me buy a 500k house, it would have to have more than a tiny yard and huge asphalt driveway...
  • Eavie0513
    Eavie0513 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I hope you get it too! I just sold a house recently, it was the first house I bought. It was really bittersweet because it was the house I raised my son in. I had to move into my parents home because they are elderly and failing and couldn't handle the stairs in my house. Even though I've been gifted this house, and it's much more valuable than my old house, I'll always love the first one.

Oh yeah, I spend alot of time on Zillow.com just researching areas I think I may want to retire to. 500K is alot of money to me, but in some places it doesn't get you very far. I would be using depends if I had a 500K offer on the table for anything.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options

Actually I assumed that she lived in Palo Alto. Crap, I've lived in CA for so long that $500, 000 for a house seems cheap.

Um, yeah. My husband and I own a town home in Southern CA that cost almost a quarter mil. The price of the home is relative to the area in which you live. We are a one-income family. No, we are not rich, my husband earns a 5-figure salary...but we saved up for six years and timed the purchase well.

OP, best of luck!! I hope you get it!!
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    good luck! Let me know if I can help with advise if you run into any issues that need repaired.