Too much fat

Options
bcattoes
bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
I am always over on fat. And I mean over by a lot! Sometimes double what MFP says I should have, and I've even upped my % a little from the default. How in the world do you eat tasty meals with so little fat??

Replies

• mrykyldy2
    mrykyldy2 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I looked at a couple days of your food diary, and the fat intake doesn't look that bad. MFP's values from what I understand are understated. If you are losing weight, don't worry about it. When you hit a plateu, then change things around.
  • Game8
    Game8 Posts: 442
    Options
    What exactly is your question? The ((maximum)) amount of fat in grams you should have is 0.5 x your body weight in pounds. Now at this point you have 2 choices: eat whatever you want regardless, or achieve your fitness goals.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    What exactly is your question? The ((maximum)) amount of fat in grams you should have is 0.5 x your body weight in pounds. Now at this point you have 2 choices: eat whatever you want regardless, or achieve your fitness goals.

Where did you reach such a conclusion for a ceiling on fat intake?
  • Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    The only things that stuck out as "bad" high were the pork chops and a couple of chicken meals lately. If they were from the database, it's likely that they were entered with high numbers. If you trimmed off the fat from meat, didn't eat it, then you could back it out. You can tweak your limits by using custom rather than recommended.
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    as long as its the healthy fats i think you're totally safe. when i was doing a kickstarter 1 week thing for the jillian michaels body revolution my fat percentages were almost at 40% because of all the fish, olive oil, and nuts.
  • Game8
    Options

The American Heart Association. Look up their recommendations.
  • slainger
    slainger Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    In looking at your diary you can easily reduce your fat intake if you are so inclined. Hummus, Snickers, chicken thighs, and the almonds seem to be the things you eat frequently that put you over. Adjust your menu and you can be under your fat limit.
  • Acg67
    Options

What terrible things would happen if you ate above their recommendations on a consistent basis?
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I don't. I've changed my macros to be 50% from fat.

That said, as long as you're under on calories and you're making decent progress long-term, just go with what works for you.
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    How in the world do you eat tasty meals with so little fat??

Stick to lean meats, take it easy on cheese and condiments like mayo.
    You can get a lot of good flavor from spices and herbs.

I saw almonds in your food diary a few times. Nuts are high in fat, it is good fat. But it still counts as fat.
    Choose what good fats mean to you.
  • wildfirediva
    Options
    It is all relative to the types of fat and the sources of fat.

It is easy to get the Omega-6s, it's harder to get your Omega-3s and MCTs (Coconut Oil/Coconut Manna)

Skip the unrefined, hydrogenated stuff and processed food sources and the rest will work itself out.

Good Fats are good for you!
  • EndlessSacrifice
    Options
    As long as most of your fats aren't saturated, I don't think you have anything to worry about. Healthy fats include but are not limited to avocados, olive oil, peanut butter, nuts, etc. All of these are great for your body.
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I'll echo what a lot of other people have said - what kind of fat? There are good fats (avocado, olive oil, etc) and bad fats (saturated). You don't want a lot of excess in either category, but don't feel so bad about limiting yourself on the good fats (and these good fats will aid in weight loss!).
  • johannajebediah
    johannajebediah Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    i noticed some people said that you eat avocadoes, almonds and things like that. im not sure what you like, but here are some tricks i use to lower fat content:

in guacamole, use 1/2 of an avocado and then 1 cup of frozen green peas (defrosted) and blend together using a hand mixer. then season and add onion, etc. as you would with guacamole. tastes great but cuts the fat way down! even healthy fats can be overdone

i'm not sure if you use almonds as an easy grab and go healthy snack, but try to substitute fresh fruit instead. one thing i prefer to nuts is dates (not dried, fresh if possible). they're easy to carry around and you dont need many to feel satisfied but they dont contain fat like almonds and other nuts.

in recipes for baked goods you can often substitute mashed banana or all-natural applesauce in for oil. i try to not cook with oil as much as possible, and when i do use it i limit myself to about 1 tablespoon and then sub the rest. when making low-fat recipes sometimes it helps to keep in a portion of the fat for taste sake, but then substitute the rest for something lower in calories.

i'm vegan and that is also an easy way to cut lots of fats out of your diet. i know that being vegan isn't practical for a lot of people, but even if you try to eat primarily vegan (no meat, eggs, dairy or seafood) a few days/week you can cut lots of fat from the animal products and dairy.

even little things like replacing your normal milk for soy milk or almond milk or hemp or rice milk can cut out some fat.

good luck!
  • Game8
    Options

What terrible things would happen if you ate above their recommendations on a consistent basis?

Try and lemme know.
  • testease
    testease Posts: 220
    Options
    Tread carefully! I had 170g of fat from bacon, eggs, butter. I can feel it seeping into my arteries. I will not be surprised if i die of a heart attack during my speed deadlifts tonight.
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I don't. I've changed my macros to be 50% from fat.

That said, as long as you're under on calories and you're making decent progress long-term, just go with what works for you.

Yep, me too. I love cookin with butters and bacon grease.
  • Acg67
    Options

Try and lemme know.

If you're going to parrot recommendations, you should at lest have an understanding at how they arrived at such a figure
  • jdholland5508
    jdholland5508 Posts: 162 Member
    Options

Try and lemme know.

If you're going to parrot recommendations, you should at lest have an understanding at how they arrived at such a figure

The epic battle of shirtless torsos…. I think im gonna side with the guy with ripped up abs who constantly eats ice cream and cheese cake!
  • JenKillough
    JenKillough Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    The epic battle of shirtless torsos….

:laugh: