Too much fat

Options

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    What exactly is your question? The ((maximum)) amount of fat in grams you should have is 0.5 x your body weight in pounds. Now at this point you have 2 choices: eat whatever you want regardless, or achieve your fitness goals.

Where did you reach such a conclusion for a ceiling on fat intake?

The American Heart Association. Look up their recommendations.

What terrible things would happen if you ate above their recommendations on a consistent basis?

Try and lemme know.

If you're going to parrot recommendations, you should at lest have an understanding at how they arrived at such a figure

Talk to me about dietary fat intake and CVD
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    What exactly is your question? The ((maximum)) amount of fat in grams you should have is 0.5 x your body weight in pounds. Now at this point you have 2 choices: eat whatever you want regardless, or achieve your fitness goals.

What terrible things would happen if you ate above their recommendations on a consistent basis?

Try and lemme know.

If you're going to parrot recommendations, you should at lest have an understanding at how they arrived at such a figure

Ooh, AC just got told! mmmm

But what if the person is obese? Should they still eat 180 grams of fat a day?
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Why are you worried about going over MFP's fat level? Fat doesn't make YOU fat...excess calories make you fat. Relax
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Why are you worried about going over MFP's fat level? Fat doesn't make YOU fat...excess calories make you fat. Relax

^^

I don't worry about fat intake at all. I just make sure to get enough protein and let fats and carbs fall where they may.
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    The epic battle of shirtless torsos…. I think im gonna side with the guy with ripped up abs who constantly eats ice cream and cheese cake!

Ditto
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Nothing terrible has happened to me by eating all this fat. I've exceeded my original goal and have been maintaining it for about 1.5 years. I've increased fitness in that time. Last year my blood work was perfect. I'm getting it checked again next week but expect it to still be fine. Most of my fat is healthy fat (mostly olive oil and nuts). Halloween (snickers, which thankfully are now gone) and a birthday (HUGE pork chop dinner and cake) lately are out of the ordinary.

I do sometimes worry that I don't eat enough carbs (grain haters can have a field day with that if you like) but I'm always over on fiber and not tired so I guess that's okay. I guess I shouldn't worry about it. I was just curioius if anyone else thought too much fat is a problem.
  • bcattoes
    Options

^^

I don't worry about fat intake at all. I just make sure to get enough protein and let fats and carbs fall where they may.

Yeah, that's kind of what I shoot for too. But not sure I shouldn't worry that fat is always WAY over and carbs are usually pretty low. Of course I work in a building full of doctors. I guess I could ask them.
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    I'm almost alway over quite a bit on fat. Fat doesn't make you fat. Too bad we can' go back in time and erase that whole way of nothing... low-fat, etc. Gah.
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    I'm almost alway over quite a bit on fat. Fat doesn't make you fat. Too bad we can' go back in time and erase that whole way of thinking... low-fat, etc. Gah.

Sorry for the double post, my toddler was attacking the keyboard. ;)
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Depends on overall calories. When I cut for comps, I often use a high protein/fat diet. What is your diet like OP?
  • wilmnoca
    wilmnoca Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Eat "tasty" foods that are naturally low in fat. I.e. eat clean
    Lean meats
    Veg
    While grains
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    I worry about my fat intake because I find that if I eat too much I develop issues.

Most days I am under my 25% macro setting. I have had to make some changes in my cooking - I no longer make pasta carbonara or other 'cream' sauces very often because the main ingredient is butter. I avoid oil where I can, use cooking spray or water for pans and parchment paper in the oven. I don't normally eat nuts either (too calorie dense) and watch my other spreads..peanut butter, mayo etc.. About the only fat I am freer with is cheese but even then I stick to small portions and use it only when I will have some flavor. For instance, no point putting cheese in a sandwich with a bunch of other stuff because I never taste the cheese anyways so for me its pointless :)
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I am always over on fat. And I mean over by a lot! Sometimes double what MFP says I should have, and I've even upped my % a little from the default. How in the world do you eat tasty meals with so little fat??

I eat a high fat way of eating, along with moderate protein and the carbs (fruits and vegetables) fill in the gap.

There is nothing wrong with fat unless you are using a lot of canola, corn, or other vegetable or seed oils which upsets the Omega 3 to Omega 6 balance and will lead to inflammation later (or maybe sooner).

There is nothing wrong with natural occurring animal fats (including butter), olive oil, coconut oil.

Moderate to higher amounts of fat are crucial for proper body functions.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    I'm almost alway over quite a bit on fat. Fat doesn't make you fat. Too bad we can' go back in time and erase that whole way of nothing... low-fat, etc. Gah.

Obviously I'm not looking to go low-fat, but there is a world of difference in low-fat and what I eat. "Fat doesn't make you fat" makes no sense. Fat has calories, lots of them, so it certianly can make you (or me) fat.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    I am always over on fat. And I mean over by a lot! Sometimes double what MFP says I should have, and I've even upped my % a little from the default. How in the world do you eat tasty meals with so little fat??

I eat a high fat way of eating, along with moderate protein and the carbs (fruits and vegetables) fill in the gap.

There is nothing wrong with fat unless you are using a lot of canola, corn, or other vegetable or seed oils which upsets the Omega 3 to Omega 6 balance and will lead to inflammation later (or maybe sooner).

There is nothing wrong with natural occurring animal fats (including butter), olive oil, coconut oil.

Moderate to higher amounts of fat are crucial for proper body functions.

Yeah, if that works for you that's fine for you. But I'm not sure I believe most of that.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    Eat "tasty" foods that are naturally low in fat. I.e. eat clean
    Lean meats
    Veg
    While grains

That would be great advice if those things weren't so much tastier coated in olive oil. Few foods taste good to me without fat.
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I no longer use olive oil for my stir-fries so I guess they are not really fried. Jest veggies in a non stick pan. I will add a little vinaigrette dressing. But if you are maintaining a healthy weight then there is no problem going over.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    Depends on overall calories. When I cut for comps, I often use a high protein/fat diet. What is your diet like OP?

Well, there's too much fat. :laugh: I have protein set at 30% (I think) but usually fall a little short. Carbs are usually too low. I drink empty calories every night, but get an average of 7 servings of vegetables and fruit per day (track this for wellness program at work). Eat a lot of fish, poultry, beans and nuts. My calories aren't the same every day but probably average around 1700 daily (total) or 1300-1400 net. I am a 51 you woman.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options

I hold no faith or stock in the American Heart Association.

These Associations are laughable at best.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    As long as most of your fats aren't saturated, I don't think you have anything to worry about. Healthy fats include but are not limited to avocados, olive oil, peanut butter, nuts, etc. All of these are great for your body.

This is laughable also. Most of my fats are saturated fats and I have the best lipid ratios and numbers than I have had in years.