No time to work out

Options
Hello!

I use to go to the gym all the time. However, last year I started working three jobs, and I don't have time to go to the gym. Then on the days that I do have time, I honestly am just too tired. I was thinking about buying a Wii because of the WiiFit and Just Dance. Has anyone used these and what do you think? Or is there something that you would recommend for me to try at home? I'm afraid that eating better won't be enough to lose the weight that I would like too.

Thanks,
Sam

Replies

• peuglow
    peuglow Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Whether you think that you can, or you think that you can't, you're probably right.

--- Make time. If you don't "have time" now, you'll find a reason not to do WiiFit if/when you do get it.

This is coming from a guy who works 50+ hrs a week, my wife works 3rd shift, I have a 10 month old (and no babysitter/daycare) and I still get to workout 9x a week.
  • Br4ndi
    Br4ndi Posts: 177
    Options
    Wii Fit is better than nothing but there is all kinds of work out videos you can do if you have time to use the Wii Fit. I get up at 4:45 to start working out at 5. I have 2 kids and a FT job and when I get off I h ave dinner, homeowrk and my own chores to do. I just keep going until 8pm, at that point I have done all I can do and I need time to relax and unwind...next day I start over.
  • Game8
    Game8 Posts: 442
    Options
    What are you working 3 jobs for? Change your life style so that you have time to do the things you like doing. Don't you wanna be healthy, happy and look and feel better? WiiFit will not help. Rethink your priorities my friend.
  • castell5
    castell5 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I have wii fit.. I find it boring and hardly ever use it. My best piece of workout equipment I ever bought (and have put many many miles on it) was The Tony Little Gazelle. Crosstrainer Pro. It wasn't very expensive and I've had it for years! It really holds up and every time I got motivated to lose weight, Tony's Gazelle was my road to success. His videos are easy to follow and he never gets annoying.
  • Lunarokra
    Lunarokra Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    My friend let me borrow the Wii Active 2 and it was a great home workout. Good luck!
  • holeshottdr
    holeshottdr Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Whether you think that you can, or you think that you can't, you're probably right.

--- Make time. If you don't "have time" now, you'll find a reason not to do WiiFit if/when you do get it.

This is coming from a guy who works 50+ hrs a week, my wife works 3rd shift, I have a 10 month old (and no babysitter/daycare) and I still get to workout 9x a week.

^^^This^^^
    You have two choices. Make time or Make excuses. Not trying to be mean but that is the way it is.
  • kaybeau
    kaybeau Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I used it then lost the novelty and went back to running
  • nikkig716
    Options
    use the area where you work. climb stairs, walk at lunch, lunges by your desk. all of this will add up. there are lots of websites to look at for exercising at your desk.
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options

^^^This^^^
    You have two choices. Make time or Make excuses. Not trying to be mean but that is the way it is.

exactly. Also, a healthy diet can make all the difference because you cannot out-exercise a poor diet! Avoid processed stuff and stick to meat, fish, veggies, and fruits.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Okay, you don't have to go to the gym to exercise, and going to the gym DOES require more time in terms of travel and getting changed, signed in, etc. You can work out at home. I don't know anyone who has lost weight from a wii, but I'm sure there are solutions. DVDs. Home workout equipment.

What matters most is that you are honest with yourself and willing to commit to the TIME and EFFORT that a good workout requires. If you put in time and effort, you will be golden, no matter what exercise you've chosen to do.
  • dr2k12
    dr2k12 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    That's BS- Make the time...

Planet Fitness is open 24 hrs and while I tottaly understand you have 3x jobs your health is way more important then a few extra bucks!

Sorry so blunt and wish you the best of luck for sure :smile:
  • TNAJackson
    TNAJackson Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Do you work at a desk? If so, I just got one of these. I haven't tried it yet, but I figure, something is better than nothing and I can't make an excuse not to work out if it's right beneath my feet and doesn't require me to stop working!! :happy:

http://www.amazon.com/Stamina-55-1610-InMotion-Elliptical-Trainer/dp/B000VICRO8
  • fldiver97
    fldiver97 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    80 % of weight loss is diet....eat better, count your calories. You don't need a gym for exercise. Start walking......use the stairs whenever you can, use stairs at work , walk 20 min every day and slowly increase your speed. Jump rope, ride a bike, do some exercise DVD instead of watching a soap/TV, ride a stationary bike while watching TV......Go for a walk after dinner, walk the dog, walk on your lunch break or get up 20 minutes earlier to get a walk in....any of these things will help to get a little more exercise in your daily routine.Some folks get off the bus a stop earlier and walk the rest to/from work, ride bike or walk to work. When you feel that you can do a little more or feel like you want to be more active you can add. ....:smile:
  • Hollycat
    Hollycat Posts: 372
    Options
    80 % of weight loss is diet....eat better, count your calories. You don't need a gym for exercise. Start walking......use the stairs whenever you can, use stairs at work , walk 20 min every day and slowly increase your speed. Jump rope, ride a bike, do some exercise DVD instead of watching a soap/TV, ride a stationary bike while watching TV......Go for a walk after dinner, walk the dog, walk on your lunch break or get up 20 minutes earlier to get a walk in....any of these things will help to get a little more exercise in your daily routine.Some folks get off the bus a stop earlier and walk the rest to/from work, ride bike or walk to work. When you feel that you can do a little more or feel like you want to be more active you can add. ....:smile:

Ditto! All good ideas!

Hollycat:flowerforyou:
  • nadinab
    nadinab Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Get the Nike Training app for free and do those workouts at home instead of wii fit. They range between 30 to 60 minutes! I work 60 hour weeks and literally force myself to complete the workouts!
  • fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    You have to make time to do it! I can understand not having time to go to the gym... so cancel the membership and get a bunch of workout dvd's start a collection, find them on craigslist, cheap at walmart where ever! Now here is the important part, ACTUALLY USE THEM! Every day or 5-6x's a week! You will actually save money in the long run, and lots of time. But you do have to make time to do it. Dont get a wii fit, I had one- sold it. It was a waste!
  • Sharon_73
    Sharon_73 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    You have a choice to make the time. I work two jobs and I am a single parent. I workout 4-5x a week. I know it is tough to figure out how to best manage your time, but you can do it.

It isn't always easy and sometimes you have to "think outside the box" but if it is a priority, you can make it happen. I guess you just have to figure out if you really want it. If you get a Wii I think the novelty will wear off pretty fast if you don't already have an established commitment. You will just find yourself stil saying you don't have the time and you will have a Wi collecting dust.

Just my two cents worth.....
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    Walking works well for me. I have four kids that are involved in various activities, I run a 911 center, and I am married. So I don;t have a lot of time. But I have learned to walk whenever I have a chance. I get to work about 20 minutes early every morning and walk laps the outside of the building, Then I walk again during lunch. It can be done, you just have to figure out a way to fit in exercise.
  • meganrpelican
    meganrpelican Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I work three jobs too. Make working out your fourth job because you deserve to take care of yourself. Don't bother with wiifit. I have it and i burn more calories washing dishes than doing those silly workouts. You have time for what you make time for and the time u spend thinking of excuses and reasons not to work out could easily turn into thirty minutes of excercise.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    If you have time to play "workout" video games on the Wii then you have time to do actual at home workouts. Get some Jillian Micheal's DVDs or maybe pick up a kettlebell and some workout DVDs to go along with that, or a few Zumba workouts, if you're more inclined towards that. But do something that is an actual, focused and structured workout that will help build strength and endurance while you do it.

I never had time to go to the gym or workout...until I stopped making excuses about how I never had time to the gym or workout. Then I managed to go every single night for just about a month to form the habit in myself, dropped it down to six days a week and kept making it happen.