• iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I can't believe it's not science.

I saw what you did there.
  • LauriePar
    LauriePar Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Really, what is the harm in eating REAL food? REAL butter to butter your toast or put on your corn on the cob, etc. REAL sugar to put in your coffee or tea! REAL milk to drink during the day! REAL cheese! I could go on and on, but you get the picture! :happy:
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    I don't supposed he mentioned what a harmful dose would be?

84 gallons?
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    blood gives you the AIDS
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Ya like anyone seriously thought it was "good" for us. (Oh there is a picture of asparagus spears on the bottle so it must be vegetable based?) No, we didn't really think that. That being said, I do have some of the zero calorie spray in my fridge but I rarely use it. During the summer I was making fresh corn on the cob and always felt it was missing something and I'm not wasting calories on butter. So I did use a spritz every now and then. Do I think it's gonna cause dementia? Doubtful, considering 90% of the bottle is unused. But if your message is to people who are practically drinking the stuff I would think the real warning should be that a spritz is zero calories, half the bottle is not.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Really, what is the harm in eating REAL food? REAL butter to butter your toast or put on your corn on the cob, etc. REAL sugar to put in your coffee or tea! REAL milk to drink during the day! REAL cheese! I could go on and on, but you get the picture! :happy:

On the inverse, what is the harm in eating FAKE butter to butter your toast or put on your corn on the cob, etc. FAKE sugar to put in your coffee or tea! FAKE milk to drink during the day (well, that actually is wrong!)! FAKE cheese (even wronger!)?

Don't get me wrong - actual butter and actual sugar tastes much better imo - but for people on a calorie restriction, zero calorie stuff is a good alternative.
  • iysys
    iysys Posts: 524
    Options
    long and short of it. don't eat crap.

if your food doesn't look like food it isn't food.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    long and short of it. don't eat crap.

if your food doesn't look like food it isn't food.

You obviously have not seen my cooking!
  • noojim
    noojim Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Yea, not really news. Not that anyone's likely to drop dead from this stuff, but meh. Being a "chemical" or an additive or having an E-number doesn't automatically mean something's dangerous, but I can't quite believe anyone would actually believe zero calorie sprays and drinks are particularly good for you...?

(hate Dr Oz though)
    This goes for ANYTHING fat free/reduced fat/artificial. This isn't really news.. lol It's always better to eat the real deal, it's just a matter of portion control. Many people still stick to the artificial stuff, though.. just how it is.
  • malfx
    malfx Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    A 1lb rat that eats 24 lbs of sweet n low will get cancer too.

Statistics can be skewed in any number of ways to support any view point.
  • tidesong
    tidesong Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    The credibility level of this post went to zero the instant I saw it attributed to Dr. "Quack" Oz.
    Yep...

Pretty much this!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Yea, not really news. Not that anyone's likely to drop dead from this stuff, but meh. Being a "chemical" or an additive or having an E-number doesn't automatically mean something's dangerous, but I can't quite believe anyone would actually believe zero calorie sprays and drinks are particularly good for you...?

(hate Dr Oz though)
    This goes for ANYTHING fat free/reduced fat/artificial. This isn't really news.. lol It's always better to eat the real deal, it's just a matter of portion control. Many people still stick to the artificial stuff, though.. just how it is.

I do not think anyone is saying they are 'good' for you - the question is, in the dosages people use them, are they bad for you?
  • Wenchilada
    Wenchilada Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Did anyone see the segment on DR OZ where he talked about.......
    badass.jpg

This pretty much made my day. So, thanks.
  • SunnyAndrsn
    SunnyAndrsn Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Another vote for LOL"Doctor" Oz. He's an idiot.

That said, multiple registered dietitians have recommended a little dab of the real deal (butter) instead of margarine or the fake sprays.

You'll have to pry my Diet Pepsi out of my cold, dead hands. Dietitian knows when *NOT* to argue with me. Plus I love real butter and work it in here and there. I don't eat it every day and I measure when I do.
  • throgmar
    throgmar Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    blood gives you the AIDS

Hm. Yeah.

Had 'em, but they cleared up. Close call.
  • Skeeter918
    Options
    If you like DR OZ if you dont..I thought it was interesting information. I understand you may have to have alot of it to matter. I was using it daily or a regular basis. The episode also mentions its not just the butter spray in question. Its all the "other butter" substitutes. They had "fillers etc." that are not really good for you. I didnt mean to start a debate or a DR OZ bash. I found it interesting enough to buy the Coconut Oil and Real Butter as I am trying to eat more REAL FOODS with Real ingredients, Organic etc. I find I feel better and am more satisfied with "real" vs. all the fake stuff. Yes you have to consider the calories vs 0 calorie stuff but to me...its worth it. Just thought I would share.
  • curtiscyndi
    Options
    Did not know that, thank you for the info
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Still blows me away any food is called zero calorie. Glad we don't have that lie on products here in Australia. Hmm.. although I did notice the other day they can call the Chobani yogurt non-fat here. It's not non-fat it still have a little fat!
  • kitty_764
    kitty_764 Posts: 64
    Options
    Thank you OP for posting this!! I looked at my "zero calorie" cooking spray and lo and behold it has 9 calories per 1/4 second spray...

I used that *kitten* all the time when I cooked, like a lot of it!

I'm definitely going to cut back, thank you again!
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Did anyone see the segment on DR OZ
    Urgh...

Double urrrgghh

triple urrrgggghhhhhh

Quadruple Uuuuurrrrrrrghhh