Gym Advice!!

Options
To be BRUTALLY honest, I am fat. I am not thick, I do not have a few extra pounds. I am so far beyond obese I have had enough. (5ft 4in and a dead 250). Tonight, I made the decision to join Planet Fitness. There is no question that tomorrow I will be joining the gym. I am not depressed, sad or anything detrimental about my being fat, I am so far beyond sick of it!! But I am SCARED as hell of grown *kitten* judging woman. Thoughts, advice, criticisms?

Replies

• BehindBlueEyes988
    Options
    PF, least mine here, is a great place. They really aren't kidding about the judgement free. I see people of all sizes there, working up and enjoying themselves. If you aren't sure where to start ask them for one of the trainers to help you. They are great and can really guide you on proper technique and everything you need to know to the gym.

Just show up, bring some water and be ready to enjoy yourself!!
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Just show up, bring some water and be ready to enjoy yourself!!

This. And remember that you will have good days and bad days. Just stick with it. But you can do it. Best of luck.
  • piratesaregrand
    piratesaregrand Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Just chuck on some earphones, block everyone else out and do what you can.

I am just about the only girl that uses my gym, and just about the only overweight person. 99% of people that go there are training weight lifters. One day I was leaving and had turned my music off. I was dripping in sweat, one guy said to another "look at that" the other guy was like "yeah, but she works out really freaking hard" made my day!
  • SunnyAndrsn
    SunnyAndrsn Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    To be BRUTALLY honest, I am fat. I am not thick, I do not have a few extra pounds. I am so far beyond obese I have had enough. (5ft 4in and a dead 250). Tonight, I made the decision to join Planet Fitness. There is no question that tomorrow I will be joining the gym. I am not depressed, sad or anything detrimental about my being fat, I am so far beyond sick of it!! But I am SCARED as hell of grown *kitten* judging woman. Thoughts, advice, criticisms?

The majority of my workouts have been at home on my own treadmill this past year. During the last 8 weeks, I've ventured into the fitness center where I work. The only one judging me was me.

There are a few horror stories from people on here who have had a bad experiences from jerks, but I think overwhelmingly, those are few and far between. Good luck, and enjoy the ride.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    No-one there is judging you. People go to the gym to do their own thing and work out. Don't worry about it. If I see someone at the gym who is obviously very overweight and out of shape I'm proud of them for being there.
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    think how good u will look , over time people get used to one another anyway .. its like going to a new school, except people are there to train their *kitten* off and achieve their fitness goals
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I keep to myself at the gym. If they wanna judge, let them. I'm pretty good at assuming a leave-me-alone air. If they want to be judgemental, that's their problem; they're the jerks, not me. I'm here to improve myself, and I'm not letting someone else's childishness get in my way.
  • Sharkington
    Options
    You might be surprised by how little people will be paying attention to you at the gym. :) When i first started getting into shape at the gym I felt like people would be watching me to see if I was doing anything wrong, but i figured that even IF people were judging me, chances are, they aren't going to say anything, so there was no point in worrying about thoughts you'll probably never hear. Also, at my gym, there are people of all sizes and I pretty much admire anyone who is willing to get up,work out, and work hard - no matter the size. I think a lot of us have that mentality.

It's all about you, so who cares what anyone else at the gym thinks? Just remind yourself of where you'll be/what you'll look like in the future because you're there.
  • LMick1986
    Options
    When I lived in Arizona, there was this woman that did her workouts out on the sidewalks. She did this silly like dance and jive thing. EVERY SINGLE day!! Soooo many people made fun of her.....including people I knew. I heard it all the time. I always smiled for her! I always praised her! Honked for her! Getting to watch her weight loss journey was incredible! I was so excited for her! My point: you will ALWAYS have people that judge you (big or small), but you will also have just as many people cheering you on. Go for it and you'll be surprised how much more joy you get than criticism.
  • ash190489
    ash190489 Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    When I lived in Arizona, there was this woman that did her workouts out on the sidewalks. She did this silly like dance and jive thing. EVERY SINGLE day!! Soooo many people made fun of her.....including people I knew. I heard it all the time. I always smiled for her! I always praised her! Honked for her! Getting to watch her weight loss journey was incredible! I was so excited for her! My point: you will ALWAYS have people that judge you (big or small), but you will also have just as many people cheering you on. Go for it and you'll be surprised how much more joy you get than criticism.

THIS!

Most of the time people (or those who are serious about training) don't even really look at anyone else, they've got their music blasting and they're in another place completely! "In the zone!!!" I know that's how I am! But like this girl has said, there will always be a few (but not many) who do judge - but seriously, you're at the gym! You have goals and you're damn well going to kill that workout and start achieving your goals! Who gives a rats about low lives and their stupid opinions! Don't find any excuses to put you off from going, you can do it! The best thing you can do is chat to the gym managers and trainers to get them to show you how to use the equipment (therefore no-one can judge you and laugh at you for doing things incorrectly and you'll feel a lot more confident about using different things there and more likely will go), then turn on your music and cover yourself in sweat and work hard! Then no one can think "why's she even bothering" or whatever else you think people may say...

Think cardio + weights and you'll be on your way to weightloss heaven! :smile: Good luck!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    its not about anyone else, its about you! who cares what other people think?

have fun!
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    The majority of judgements will be people thinking "good for her deciding to make a change". People are all at the gym to better themselves. We all had to walk in there for the first time at some point.

Just think, 6 months down the line you'll be looking and feeling a whole lot better and you may notice new people joining and you'll be thinking how good it is that they've decided to make a change too.
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options

The only judging I ever see is on here (Check out the 10,000 messages about gym etiquette!). Most in my gym keep themselves to themselves and help if you ask. That said, it might be different for women. Lots of guys in one place and things usually turn competitive, lots of women and things often turn *****y!
  • joannasaurusrex
    Options
    Whenever I am feeling self conscious at the gym, I ask myself... am I looking at other people? Am I judging their bodies or their workouts or even paying any attention to them at all? No, I'm not - so why on earth would they possibly be looking at me?!

It's easy to get caught up in worrying about it but you just have to remind yourself that if you're not doing it, chances are nobody else is :)

I judge fat people who are sitting on the sofa eating fast food, not those who are going to the gym.
  • Wonderob
    Options
    Whenever I am feeling self conscious at the gym, I ask myself... am I looking at other people? Am I judging their bodies or their workouts or even paying any attention to them at all? No, I'm not - so why on earth would they possibly be looking at me?!

Well that's the right answer for sure, and that's what I should do too; however when I think about it, I can't honestly say that's what I do.

If I go over to do some curls and I see a guy swinging his hips forward on his curls then I think that can't be right.

There's also a girl who dresses up like she is at a wedding then chats to the muscle guys for an hour in between her 10 second workouts. I can't help but shake my head - I'm judging!
  • Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    My gym advice:

Go to gym.

Disregard the existence of others.

Do your thing.

Leave gym.

Repeat on next designated day.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options

Congrats on taking such a positive step.

Remember, a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

That's all I have to say. :)
  • Kashton2011
    Kashton2011 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate to your worries. I joined my gym back in May weighing 229 and I also worried about judgements but I have to say I did and still do as others have pointed out - put my music on and do my session.

A few months ago I started to do jogging on the treadmill (was always scared of this, imagining myself flying off so I always walked and held on for dear life) I do spurts of jogging now and I come off like jerry the berry and panting but I have to admit I feel like I've accomplished something. I also do some weights now as well and just count my reps and listen to the music. People judging me does not even enter my head now.

Honestly, just go in and do your thing, you'll surprise yourself by how much you can improve reps and times on machines

Good luck
  • Wonderob
    Options
    My gym advice:

Go to gym.

Disregard the existence of others.

Do your thing.

Leave gym.

Repeat on next designated day.

Hmm
    "Disregard the existence of others" and their very valuable advice? Their motivation? Their companionship?

Nope. Make some friends there. Smile. Allow other to help you. Help others. Encourage others. Be friendly

Makes the gym less of the painful, horrible chore that it could be for me.

My wife LOVES her Zumba class, as do all the other women there.

Would she still go to her Zumba class if it were just her and the instructor? I doubt it, and the countless hundreds of workout videos, Zumba DVDs etc that are sat collecting dust at home will indicate!
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I thought planet fitness was meant to be a 'judgement free zone' anyway.

If you see anyone judging report them and set off the lunk alarm.

All all seriousness though, nobody is looking/really cares what you get up to. Just do what you have to do, and leave.