Advice in High Calorie low carb diet-

Hello All,

I am indian and wish to know how to eat enough and not go over my carbs. I am not able to manage both. I am eating too less if I am minding my carbs..All these years have been eating rice and roti which consumes most of my carbs..I really need ideas on high calorie and low carb diet ideas..I am non vegetarian and eat chicken fish and egg 3-4 times a week...I have set 150gms of carb a day with 1500 cals a day..

I am opening my diary for your understanding.

Thank you for reading this and sharing your thoughts...

Replies

• monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    advice for a HIGH calorie and LOW carbohydrate diet?... worst diet ever.

i woudlnt do it.
  • Correy88
    Correy88 Posts: 4 Member
    Salad and Veg is best i find, Fruit not so good because of the sugar. You did not mention fish. This is a great way to keep the protien up and carbs down.

Lots of water will help digest the protien
  • Sanvita58
    Sanvita58 Posts: 122 Member
    Could you say why? as since I am not losing weight i was advised on this community to reduce my carb intake...

i woudlnt do it.
  • nancycaregiver
    nancycaregiver Posts: 812 Member
    I am doing Atkins low carb. I started with 20 carbs/day for a few weeks but moved to 25-30/day now. I have lost 61 pounds so far. I am Italian and had to give up pasta. But I make fettuccini Alfredo without the fettuccini! I make Alfredo sauce and add chicken and broccoli. Delicious!! I also eat lots of chicken. Good luck to you!
  • Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    hello :smile:

I also eat under 150 carbs (about 75-100) and at about 1700 cals per day. So I would encourage you do increase your protein and fats. this will feel satisfying.
  • monty619
    Could you say why? as since I am not losing weight i was advised on this community to reduce my carb intake...

i woudlnt do it.

well if you are going to eat HIGH calories then you should eat HIGH carbohydrates... if you eat LOW calories then you could either eat HIGH or LOW carbohydrates.. but when u say high calorie diet for weight loss its confusing.
  • Salad and Veg is best i find, Fruit not so good because of the sugar. You did not mention fish. This is a great way to keep the protien up and carbs down.

Lots of water will help digest the protien

There is nothing wrong with the sugar in fruit. It is natural sugar and the antioxidant effects of the fruit outweigh any of the perceived negative effects of natural fruit sugar.
  • Sanvita58
    hello :smile:

I also eat under 150 carbs (about 75-100) and at about 1700 cals per day. So I would encourage you do increase your protein and fats. this will feel satisfying.

I want to know what is that you eat to not go over 150 carbs and maintain 1700 cals..
  • alexveksler
    alexveksler Posts: 409 Member
    I took a look at your diet. You eat absolutely no veggies. Welcome to look at mine back a year ago. I started my diet with a limit of 50 g per day. With lean meats and fish, you can have an awesome diet that contains many veggies. Limit yourself on fruits till you see a progress in your weight loss, than gradually introduce fruit. I recently upped my carb intake to 70 g per day and still able to lose weight.

Good luck.
  • If a low carb diet doesn't suit you then there is no need to go on it, assuming you have no medical conditions requiring you to go low carb.

Can you give us more info? Such as your stats, protein and fat intake goals, etc? You mentioned your goal is 150g of carbs, which seems reasonable and I wouldn't classify that as low carb.

ETA: What do you mean "high" calorie diet?
  • Sanvita58

i woudlnt do it.

well if you are going to eat HIGH calories then you should eat HIGH carbohydrates... if you eat LOW calories then you could either eat HIGH or LOW carbohydrates.. but when u say high calorie diet for weight loss its confusing.

High calorie meaning between 1500-1700 as I was on 1200 cal whole of last year and gained weight..so was advice to eat high calories..i want to increase my calories but keep check on carbs to 150 gms.. how much do you think one should consume carbs in a day?
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Hi. Your diet looks pretty decent. If you want to cut down on your carbs, maybe stick to smaller portions of rice and skip the roti. Replace the rice and roti with more vegitables and you won't really notice it missing. Just add more fat to up your calories. Use some butter, oil, or cream in your cooking. Also, invite me over for some home cooked Indian food!
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Check your food labels. One day you have a cup of white rice entered at 45g of carbs and another day you have it as 53g of carbs.

I eat about the same amount of carbs you do. What do you have your carb percentage set at? Mine is 40%.
  • monty619

i woudlnt do it.

High calorie meaning between 1500-1700 as I was on 1200 cal whole of last year and gained weight..so was advice to eat high calories..i want to increase my calories but keep check on carbs to 150 gms.. how much do you think one should consume carbs in a day?

in my opinion the ideal ratios are for dieting are... .3-4g fat per lb of body weight. .8-1g protein per lb of body weight... then do the math with cals (4cals per g protein and 9cals per g fat) then make the rest of them carbohydrates... and you have your answer.
  • cuckoo2012
    cuckoo2012 Posts: 27 Member
    nice topic savita i am looking for the same kinda deit
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    What reason were you given for going on a low carb diet?

Unless you have medical issues that would mean that carb restriction is advisable, there is no long term benefit of low carb (other than creating a restriction in your food that in turn makes you restrict calories). People see immediate results from low carb due to water weight.
  • Sarauk2sf

i woudlnt do it.

in my opinion the ideal ratios are for dieting are... .3-4g fat per lb of body weight. .8-1g protein per lb of body weight... then do the math with cals (4cals per g protein and 9cals per g fat) then make the rest of them carbohydrates... and you have your answer.

Basically ^this
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    You could think about not snacking on cornflakes. There is not much healthy about them and rather a waste of calories. Eat fruit, yogurt or other healthy snacks instead.
  • thinking_thinly
    thinking_thinly Posts: 143 Member
    So I am eating a high fat, low carb diet. I am loosing FAT and retaining muscle mass at the same time... take that naysayers! Anywho, eat lost of leafy greans as your carbs, include healthy plant oils (coconut oil, palm oil, olive oil, ect) and use butter or ghee for animal fat sources. No dairy, grains, sugars, or fruits for ME on this diet... however, YMMV.
  • Sarauk2sf
    So I am eating a high fat, low carb diet. I am loosing FAT and retaining muscle mass at the same time... take that naysayers! Anywho, eat lost of leafy greans as your carbs, include healthy plant oils (coconut oil, palm oil, olive oil, ect) and use butter or ghee for animal fat sources. No dairy, grains, sugars, or fruits for ME on this diet... however, YMMV.

How do you know that your statement that you have retained muscle mass is correct? How is that different to someone that eats carbs. I have maintained muscle mass and lost fat and eaten yummy ice cream and carbs while doing so....so...err....take that!

Also, why do you assume that it is the low carb and not the calorie restriction that has helped you lose fat?

Also, you just started a thread earlier today stating that this is only your second day of doing this? I am confused.
  • thinking_thinly
    Fat is lost at a much faster rate with a HFLC diet. Other diets with comparable speeds have much greater losses in muscle mass. However, my strength and endurance have gone throught the roof.
  • thinking_thinly
    I have "dabbled" with HFLC before, but I had gallbladder issues. Now I don't have a gallbladder any more, and take digestive supplements that help digest fats. Calories in/ calories out is an old myth. I am NOT calorie restricting. I am eating upwards of the "recommended" daily calorie amount that MFP tells me to eat, and I still loose close to a pound a day. I have LC for 3 months before this major breakthrough and am eating higher calories than ever before.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Fat is lost at a much faster rate with a HFLC diet. Other diets with comparable speeds have much greater losses in muscle mass. However, my strength and endurance have gone throught the roof.

Please cite the source of this claim.
  • Sarauk2sf
    I have "dabbled" with HFLC before, but I had gallbladder issues. Now I don't have a gallbladder any more, and take digestive supplements that help digest fats. Calories in/ calories out is an old myth. I am NOT calorie restricting. I am eating upwards of the "recommended" daily calorie amount that MFP tells me to eat, and I still loose close to a pound a day. I have LC for 3 months before this major breakthrough and am eating higher calories than ever before.

Obviously the laws of thermodynamics to not apply to you.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    ...and I still loose close to a pound a day...

WTH? Are you making stuff up or what? :noway:
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member

I'm eating between 400 and 600 calories a day more than MFP told me to eat and I'm still loosing nicely without low carb so it may not be because of the carbs. MFP tells people to eat way too little in most cases.
  • spramn
    spramn Posts: 67 Member
    Your body burns more calories processing protein over carbs. Also if your eating protein regularly (every 3 hours or so) your body's metabolic rate will increase.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    It takes 3500 calories burned to lose a pound of fat. If you are losing a pound a day, and eating high calorie, I can promise you that you are not losing fat. Low carb diets seem to lose weight faster because you lose a whole bunch of water weight over the first few days/weeks. Water is not fat. Study year long comparison trials, and low carb does not perform any better than any other diet.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Your body burns more calories processing protein over carbs. Also if your eating protein regularly (every 3 hours or so) your body's metabolic rate will increase.
    The first part is kind of true (although the difference is completely negligible, roughly 0.13 calorie difference between the two macros per gram,) but the second part is pure nonsense. Keep in mind, higher protein generally means higher fat, and fat actually takes less calories to process than carbs, so it evens out. The Thermic effect of food is really quite a negligible difference to overall metabolism, and you cannot have any kind of effect on metabolism by eating specific foods at specific times, it just doesn't work that way.
  • mulderpf
    mulderpf Posts: 209 Member
    Just eat less rice and roti and replace it with some veggies, you don't have to cut it out completely though.