Foods that are sooo bad in small ammounts

Options
m60kaf
m60kaf Posts: 421 Member
Today we all got a tiny box of Cadbury Roses - The Tiniest box you have ever seen in you life - I'm not moaning about that tho cos the sentiment was nice.

Inside were six sweets,.. I ate then, didn't even notice... Nutritionally pointless easily forgotten when totaling up todays calories in my head.

If I ate that every day it's 450x30 = 4lb a month ... 28lb in six month 56lb in a year...

Really makes you think what a fine balancing act all this is ... even if you juse overate by that a couple of times a week its still a stone in a year

Really makes me wonder if it is worth completely avoiding those kinds of food

Replies

• Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I don't completely avoid any food that I like but I do make sure I know where my calories and nutrition are coming from. Always read the nutritional info.
  • luzmidd
    luzmidd Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I see where you are going with this! Thats how I gained all my weight in the first place... Never ate a lot of bad stuff, just ate a little bit of bad stuff every day, like a hand full of crisps, of two glasses of juice, a bowl of pasta! Added up and WHAM! 10kg's overweight! Now that I don't eat the nice stuff, I lose weight, I only have a treat every once in a while!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Why not just enjoy one or 2 a day for 3 days. So, it seems that it is not the food that is bad. It is your lack of self control? 6 sweets is a lot all at once!
  • 1sophiesophie
    1sophiesophie Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    That is what is great about MFP (and logging food in general), it really makes you mindful of your decisions re: the types of food (and amount) that we eat. Also (and to broaden it out a bit), I think this is why we are seeing such an obesity epidemic (not only in the US, but where I am in the UK, and in other parts of the developed world). It has become "normal" or considered a "small amount" to eat six sweets in a sitting without even thinking about it (this is no reflection on the OP, I think many of us are like this, me included). My grandparents' generation (war rationing/expensive food prices etc), might have considered that indulgent.

We think nothing of ordering a takeaway pizza, which quite likely equals our ENTIRE day's worth of calories. It is "normal" and surely if everybody else is doing it....then I'M not the one eating badly, right?

No wonder we all find it a harsh reality check when all these highly calorific foods are simply considered "everyday" and "normal".

Whether you choose to avoid these foods completely in future or just eat in moderation, the key thing is that you are aware of the impact your decision makes either way, which is the most important thing.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Today we all got a tiny box of Cadbury Roses - The Tiniest box you have ever seen in you life - I'm not moaning about that tho cos the sentiment was nice.

Inside were six sweets,.. I ate then, didn't even notice... Nutritionally pointless easily forgotten when totaling up todays calories in my head.

If I ate that every day it's 450x30 = 4lb a month ... 28lb in six month 56lb in a year...

Really makes you think what a fine balancing act all this is ... even if you juse overate by that a couple of times a week its still a stone in a year

Really makes me wonder if it is worth completely avoiding those kinds of food

Only if you do that and it takes you over your maintenance. Otherwise those candies won't make you gain any sort of weight. That is why I think looking at it that way (if I ate this every day blah blah blah...) is counter productive and silly.

It is a balancing act. If you want a chocolate or two to whatever you just need to be able to look at it within your overall diet. Moderation. I don't want to live in a world where I can't meet a friend for pizza and beer if I so choose. So, I don't cut those things out of my diet. Do I eat them daily? No... but if I want them I will have them. No one food or meal is going to make me gain the weight back.

And how is takeaway pizza an entire day's worth of calories? I eat two slices and some breadsticks and come in less then 800 cals. Since I eat 1600 a day (give or take) to lose easily, I can fit it in if I so choose. Are you eating the whole dang pizza or something?
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I don't completely avoid any food that I like but I do make sure I know where my calories and nutrition are coming from. Always read the nutritional info.

^^ This

and be diligent about logging your intake. Assuming you've set up MFP to lose 1lb per week you've got the automatic 500 cal deficit built in to your target, the occasional indulgence won't kill you (and is probably good for your soul)
  • 1sophiesophie
    1sophiesophie Posts: 67 Member
    Options

And how is takeaway pizza an entire day's worth of calories? I eat two slices and some breadsticks and come in less then 800 cals. Since I eat 1600 a day (give or take) to lose easily, I can fit it in if I so choose. Are you eating the whole dang pizza or something?

Yes - it used to be "normal" in our household to order a pizza each and eat it all. That's the point I was making...it is stupid, but it is an easy habit to get into until you realise that the whole thing is 1600 calories (for a medium pizza) - i.e. practically a whole day of calories for a 5ft5 woman, under 140lbs. It suddenly makes the pleasure of eating it a complete turn-off.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Why not just enjoy one or 2 a day for 3 days. So, it seems that it is not the food that is bad. It is your lack of self control? 6 sweets is a lot all at once!

is it?! 50 sweets in one go might be a lot... i dont think 6 is!
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    Ya just gotta watch out for stuff like that. Keep up your food logging and go for a nice walk if you over-indulge.

I think one of the main points that everyone here stresses is lifestyle change; moving towards a healthier lifestyle where we can acknowledge that eating an box of sweets every day really isn't a great idea.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

Oh you & your logic! :wink:
  • m60kaf
    m60kaf Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I love the way these kinds of posts go. I have self control , I was making a point about how little can mess you up... When we are hearing the whinney fails on here .. Its just those few sweets or one takeaway a week

Then the thin healthy people go "You ate all that!! Why"

And the unhealty people "A few sweets or odd take away cant hurt"

Then the constant circle all make sense lol
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I love the way these kinds of posts go. I have self control , I was making a point about how little can mess you up... When we are hearing the whinney fails on here .. Its just those few sweets or one takeaway a week

I'm sorry, but you are going to classify me as unhealthy because I believe in moderation? Whaaatt?? :noway:
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options

Hey, I'm thin and probably would have eaten them all, too. =)
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    May be some translation issues here; when we say sweet, we don't mean a dessert - more a piece of candy about as big as a coin :P
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    My husband brought me a small box of chocolates from a trip recently. I had one per day over the next 4 or 5 days and fit them into my calorie budget.

They were soooooooooooooo good.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    6 sweets alot. pfft, amateur.
  • vypeters
    vypeters Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I eat peanut butter, from a spoon, nearly every day. It's a measuring spoon and I log it: 200 calories a day. That's 200x365 / 3500 is 21 lbs a year, oh noes.

Except....

I total out at my maintenance calories so that peanut butter doesn't hurt me one bit. It's only if I eat my maintenance calories PLUS the peanut butter that I have a problem.

It's not the single food; it's the total picture. Are you eating those chocolates or their equivalents every day? Are you failing to allow for them in your calories? You need both for it to be an issue.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

Huh. I guess I didn't realize all the people who have reached and surpassed their goals, the marathon runners, the rock climbers, the cut ab profile pics... I guess I just didn't realize they were unhealthy for eating one cadbury chocolate.

Oh, but I see you were just making a "bait" post, so... girl bai.
  • elijhasmomma
    elijhasmomma Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    6 sweets alot. pfft, amateur.

^ that lol!!! valentine's is horrid for me....especially if im alone even with a boyfriend (who works 25/8 and never has time for anything else!!!:noway: :grumble: :explode: :sad: )...chocolates don't last long in this household :drinker:
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

Yes - it used to be "normal" in our household to order a pizza each and eat it all. That's the point I was making...it is stupid, but it is an easy habit to get into until you realise that the whole thing is 1600 calories (for a medium pizza) - i.e. practically a whole day of calories for a 5ft5 woman, under 140lbs. It suddenly makes the pleasure of eating it a complete turn-off.

This sounds distinctly like an issue of "moderation." You're saying that knowing a full pizza is lots of calories is a turn off from eating it? A 2 lb pork roast is about 1200-1400 calories, but you're not going to say, "I'm not going to eat this protein rich, clean food" because of the TOTAL amount of calories, are you?