Foods that are sooo bad in small ammounts

Options

Replies

• msaestein1
    msaestein1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I can appreciate the point he is making and I am surprised by the responses here. Most of us on here mindlessly eat small things or at least have in the past. We walk pass our coworkers candy dish and take one or two peices (there is no nutrition label available), we grab a couple of chips, we eat the last chicken nugget off our kid's plates. Then we do the same thing the next day. It adds up: the small things. We think "one piece" will not hurt. Also, for people saying he doesn't have self control, I think most of us don't or we wouldn't be on here trying to lose weight. This is why MFP is helping us, we either don't have as much self control as we would like or we overeat 'small' things as the OP is pointing out. If some of you are naturally perfect, good for you. But don't judge and be rude. We are supposed to be helping each other.

Er, did you not see his response to people pointing out that learning moderation and to space things out to fit calorie goals is healthy? He literally called people "whiney fails" who have successfully followed that approach. He made gross assumptions. Plus, you did too, because what YOU have done in the past does not equal "most of us."

Not on here to argue. Have better to things to do. MOST people on here are overweight. MOST people who are overweight are because they overeat. People who overeat struggle with things I have mentioned in my previous comment. If doesn't apply to you, then don't comment. Er, that.
  • melsmith612
    melsmith612 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I think if that math were 100% true all of the time for everyone then I would have eaten myself to death long ago. I cannot even begin to explain the mass quantities of junk I used to eat in any given day/week.
  • ashleen7
    ashleen7 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Why not just enjoy one or 2 a day for 3 days. So, it seems that it is not the food that is bad. It is your lack of self control? 6 sweets is a lot all at once!

6 sweets is a lot?! Really?!! I bet you probably take a bite from a chocolate bar and wrap the rest up for later! J/K.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    My DD sent me these special macaroons from New Orleans (Sucre) for Mother's Day. Tiny box.....8 macaroons. I ate one when I got them, put them in the fridge and ate one a week for the next 7 weeks....something I NEVER would have done before I started my weight loss. You learn to compromise. :)

I should mention that I had no nutritional information for them, nor did I find any online. So I e-mailed the company and asked them for the stats and they were very helpful, sending me a PDF of the nutritional info. That helped me work them into my plan.
  • BrienJD
    BrienJD Posts: 541 Member
    Options

And how is takeaway pizza an entire day's worth of calories? I eat two slices and some breadsticks and come in less then 800 cals. Since I eat 1600 a day (give or take) to lose easily, I can fit it in if I so choose. Are you eating the whole dang pizza or something?

Yes - it used to be "normal" in our household to order a pizza each and eat it all. That's the point I was making...it is stupid, but it is an easy habit to get into until you realise that the whole thing is 1600 calories (for a medium pizza) - i.e. practically a whole day of calories for a 5ft5 woman, under 140lbs. It suddenly makes the pleasure of eating it a complete turn-off.

I used to eat nearly an entire Pizza Hut Medium Supreme with pan crust in one sitting. Now at least I I've shaved it down to a hot-N-Ready pepperoni. I have it if I want it, but if I want it I hit the gym beforehand to make room.
  • KatieTee83
    KatieTee83 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I found this thread! I was just commenting with another MFP buddy of mine on how it seems like an NSV in its own right on the day that you realized how different your "normal" is to when you first started this whole journey. And how, once we get ourselves in the habit of eating healthfully and basically way less than is the norm in society, when we are faced with something that used to be our normal, we're shocked at how we could have eaten that way before.

The pizza analogy is a good one, I think. When the Mister and I order a pizza, it didn't seem like a big deal to have 2 or 3 slices, maybe a piece or two of cheesy bread, etc. But once I've been counting my intake and I know just how much other food I could have for the same number of calories -- like, at least two meals' worth -- suddenly that "normal" seems indulgent and excessive.

But I echo what others have said here -- the whole point of tracking on sites like MFP is so that you know where you stand after treats like the gift of candy, and so that you can tweak the rest of your day to compensate, rather than just blindly going forward and having it be extra, unwanted cals onto your day. Because it's good for us to have a treat now and then. Keeps us sane! :wink:
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Why not just enjoy one or 2 a day for 3 days. So, it seems that it is not the food that is bad. It is your lack of self control? 6 sweets is a lot all at once!

6 sweets is a lot?! Really?!! I bet you probably take a bite from a chocolate bar and wrap the rest up for later! J/K.

LOL! Busted!! I actually do!! I buy a bar of dark chocolate and the eat 4 squares at a time to fit it into my macros and get a little treat!!
  • kkclif
    kkclif Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. I treated myself to a muffin this morning and it was 550 calories. I used to get them all the time! MFP does make you re-think the food choices you make, it is amazing.
  • downinaggieland98
    downinaggieland98 Posts: 224 Member
    Options

is it?! 50 sweets in one go might be a lot... i dont think 6 is!

lol... exactly what I was thinking.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I can appreciate the point he is making and I am surprised by the responses here. Most of us on here mindlessly eat small things or at least have in the past. We walk pass our coworkers candy dish and take one or two peices (there is no nutrition label available), we grab a couple of chips, we eat the last chicken nugget off our kid's plates. Then we do the same thing the next day. It adds up: the small things. We think "one piece" will not hurt. Also, for people saying he doesn't have self control, I think most of us don't or we wouldn't be on here trying to lose weight. This is why MFP is helping us, we either don't have as much self control as we would like or we overeat 'small' things as the OP is pointing out. If some of you are naturally perfect, good for you. But don't judge and be rude. We are supposed to be helping each other.

Er, did you not see his response to people pointing out that learning moderation and to space things out to fit calorie goals is healthy? He literally called people "whiney fails" who have successfully followed that approach. He made gross assumptions. Plus, you did too, because what YOU have done in the past does not equal "most of us."

Not on here to argue. Have better to things to do. MOST people on here are overweight. MOST people who are overweight are because they overeat. People who overeat struggle with things I have mentioned in my previous comment. If doesn't apply to you, then don't comment. Er, that.

If you're grouping an entire group of people under something you personally suffer from, how is it not my prerogative to comment? By that rote, saying, "Most people on here..." was grouping me in, capice? Man, people like you just hate when someone calls them out on poor wording or assumptions (oops, I'm generalizing a whole group of people. Doesn't work well, does it?).

You also seemed to bypass my explanation for WHY certain people were saying the things they were... because the OP literally attacked with "whiney fails. Oh well, I guess you don't understand the difference between "argue" and "supporting statements with evidence." Shrug.
  • missylawrie
    Options

is it?! 50 sweets in one go might be a lot... i dont think 6 is!

I felt ashamed when I read^^^^ 6 sweets too much....I could work my way thru the BIG tin no problemo ;)
  • Ruthe8
    Ruthe8 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    If I ate that every day it's 450x30 = 4lb a month ... 28lb in six month 56lb in a year...
    Only if you eat AT MAINTENANCE every single day and then eat this whole box of candy every day ON TOP OF THAT. In reality, you don't eat a box of candy every day, and you've probably got a 500-calorie or more deficit anyway.
  • senglishrose
    senglishrose Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    BLT (Bite, Licks and Tastes) -- they all count.

A little can be good and bad. Enjoy whatever it is and in whatever quality it is.
  • ZiezieO
    ZiezieO Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    It's frustrating because things I love (like peanut butter) has lots of calories in one table spoon. But I could fill up on celery and not reach that total.

It's okay though, I like the challenge in finding things that are delicious and healthy!

however, it's good to have a nibble of chocolate, ice cream, peanut butter on occasion. If your body wants it, let it have some-otherwise you'll binge a HUGE valentines day size box!
  • melsmith612
    melsmith612 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    A little PB? I just had 2 Tbsp in my sandwich at lunch. And I probably do that twice a week, minimum.
  • ashleen7
    ashleen7 Posts: 258 Member
    Options

LOL! Busted!! I actually do!! I buy a bar of dark chocolate and the eat 4 squares at a time to fit it into my macros and get a little treat!!

If you can find a way to bottle that self control put me down for a litre. Not much more though cos I'll probably just drink it all in one go!
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat souls of midgets wich are about 54000 calories each.

Puppies are my alter snack when i am cutting. 4500 per lb, x32 days = 50 lbs right on my hips.

Sometimes counting calories suck, dont count the little things - move and you wont get larger :)
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    All food is bad in small amounts. Granted I am a volume *kitten*.
  • healthyheartRN
    Options
    loved your response and totally agree.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    Today we all got a tiny box of Cadbury Roses - The Tiniest box you have ever seen in you life - I'm not moaning about that tho cos the sentiment was nice.

Inside were six sweets,.. I ate then, didn't even notice... Nutritionally pointless easily forgotten when totaling up todays calories in my head.

If I ate that every day it's 450x30 = 4lb a month ... 28lb in six month 56lb in a year...

Really makes you think what a fine balancing act all this is ... even if you juse overate by that a couple of times a week its still a stone in a year

Really makes me wonder if it is worth completely avoiding those kinds of food

I know! I could totally inhale that baby box of candy.