What birth control are you on? Does it work with you?

Options
montanadanni
montanadanni Posts: 184 Member
The dreaded birth control that is supposed to make you gain weight, mood swings, headaches, gall bladder removal (yea ... that happened) and other uplessant side effects. Yet we don't want to be pregnant...don't really have a choice.

I have been through a lot of types of birth control. Estrogen bases makes me a raging psycho! So I went to the progesterone based BC and I LOVE IT! I did do the mini pill for awhile but have converted over to the depo. I love the depo! BTW never gained weight from it. I plan on stopping the depo soon though :( sadly because I am going to try to get pregnant in 2 years. You have to stop very early with depo if you want to be able to be ready by then.

What do you all love? How has it worked? Did you gain weight?

Replies

• Jenny_Taylia
    Jenny_Taylia Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Hubby got snipped. No weight gain so far!
  • fcp1234
    fcp1234 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    I got a Mirena..Have not gained any weight..Yea Im a moody b**** most days, but who cares.
  • montanadanni
    montanadanni Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Hubby got snipped. No weight gain so far!

HAHA! great way to have BC!
  • bananapancakebella
    Options
    I'm on yaz, and I love it. No mood swings, light periods, no weight gain. I was on seasonale, and not only did it turn me into a psycho, but I gained 50 pounds really quickly. I lost the weight again once I went off it, but it was a pain in my *kitten*.
  • MrsB123111
    MrsB123111 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Nuva ring... Been on it 4 years and love it!!
  • madworld1
    Options
    The depo was the worst I have ever tried. I gained tons of weight. Later, I ended up having an ectopic.

I hate any kind of bc. I have tried so many. They either make me gain weight or make my face break out. No joke. Doc's always tell me that they are supposed to help with acne. I completely disagree.

I am going to start some new ones at the end of this month. Hopefully we can find some that have very few side effects.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    I love seasonale. I can't use the generic so I pay out the butt.
  • jessiwithaneye
    jessiwithaneye Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'm scared of hormones, so I rock the sponge, like Elaine from Seinfeld.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Yet we don't want to be pregnant...don't really have a choice.

condoms....
  • skinnybitchbarbie27
    Options
    I am on Nuva ring and I started it after a d&c in July. Since july I have lost almost 40 pounds. I read a lot about how the actual method may not cause weight gain but it's how we react to the new round of hormones. Meaning we go bat**** crazy and eat everything which causes weight gain. I love it, It has only came out during sex one time and is wonderful that I can put it in and just forget about it for a month.

I would like to get a hysterectomy after going through the miscarriage but I guess I am hopeful for the future.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Nuva Ring. It's pretty awesome, plus I use it to skip periods and it makes them lighter.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Nuvaring. After 3-4 birth controls, Nuvaring is the BEST.

Piece of crap USA health insurance makes it much more expensive than it was in Canada (granted, all BC is free in Canada).

But going from paying 20$, then being reimbursed, to paying 85$ WITH health insurance...sigh. Such a shock. Can't give it up though.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I'm scared of hormones, so I rock the sponge, like Elaine from Seinfeld.

Hope he's spongeworthy!
  • NatashaB8
    Options
    Im on Yasmin and it worked well for me. Have to be on it for 4 months in a row due to horrendous cramp (so I only have to deal with it once every 4 months lol) but my hormones go all over the place!

No weight gain though. This is my fourth pill, the first two made me retain weight. No diet would shift it, then when I changed pill it dropped off. I haven't had any weight problems with Yasmin. I am a bit more emotional but thats a small price to pay hehe.
  • chelledawg14
    chelledawg14 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    If you don't ever want to be pregnant or are done having kids, there is a procedure called Essure. I had it done in oct 2006 (along with Novasure which is burning out your uterus). With Essure, they put rods into your fallopian tubes. Best two things I ever had done!!!!
  • Shaybug
    Shaybug Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Love my Mirena. $25 co pay for placement and 5 years of easy control. No pills, no rings, no mood swings, no wt gain, no babies.
  • NatashaB8
    Options

condoms....

Not 100% effective!
  • DeeDel32
    DeeDel32 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I used Mirena for a few years. Hated it. Others seem to really like it though.

It's easy to insert and have removed, so, you can always try it out.

It's a few hundred dollars though and may not be covered by insurance, so, something to consider.
  • mollz007
    mollz007 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I just got a paraguard IUD. I took yaz for three years and didnt have any bad side effects except weight gain, which may or may not have had anything to do with the BC. I just decided it was time for a change and that my body was tired of hormones, so I switched because this copper IUD is the most reliable non hormonal form of BC (I dont need to worry about STDs because I am married and we both were checked long before we got engaged) So far I love it, it makes my periods a little heavier but other than that nothing different.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

condoms....

Not 100% effective!

neither is the pill.....