" You are eating too few calories" message

Options
How many people are getting this message from MFP when they are done logging their food for the day?

For the first time in about 6 months I finally feel like I'm losing some weight again, and I keep getting this message...it's not like I'm starving myself or anything. Most days I feel great with my "eating."

So, ignore the message or heed the warning....what's your take??

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    How many people are getting this message from MFP when they are done logging their food for the day?

Just the people that are eating too few calories.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    how many calories are you eating?
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I would think that message is pretty self-explanatory.

You are obviously eating below 1200 calories otherwise it wouldn't be giving you that number.
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options

This.
  • Fat2Fit145
    Fat2Fit145 Posts: 385 Member
    Options

lol... correct.... its obvious if you dont eat the calories they set that you will get that message... I get it too cuz like u i dont eat the required calories they have set.... and i'm quite comfortable during the day. But I know i should be eating more.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options

You are obviously eating below 1200 calories otherwise it wouldn't be giving you that number.

Uh..... Obviously no. If you aren't eating back all of your workout calories you will get that message as well. I used to get that message every freaking day, but according to my health care professional I was eating great and in the range I needed to be to reach my goals, so just ignored it.
  • SHHitsKaty
    Options
    I get it but it depends on what your calorie intake is set at. If it's set at the bare minimum of 1200, eating anything below that is basically putting your body into starvation mode, especially if you are active. You aren't eating enough at all to replace what is being put out, meaning it's just gonna start eating away at muscle and your metabolism will slow down.

My calorie intake is set at 1450, I average 1300-1400 calories a day and also work out 6 days a week, which gives me more calories to eat but I don't eat back my calories most of the time unless I'm really hungry that day. So far, it's done me well, I'm losing and I also don't feel like I'm hurting for food every hour of the day.

Anyone who is eating below 1200 calories though is going about it ALL wrong. Sure, you're losing weight because you're basically starving yourself.
  • alaliberte
    Options
    Sorry, I didn't mean to say I don't understand what the message is saying....what I mean is: Do you just ignore it or eat more? I'm wondering how many people are eating close to their recommended totals.

I'm at 1200 cals per day but with exercise at the end of the day I've got 300-400 left over calories and that's when I'm getting the message.
  • purplepeonypanda
    Options
    Was friends with someone on here who only got about 800 calories a day. I didn't really care. I felt bad in comparison, but that's my hang up. The person got a lot of "way to go" comments, which was kind of confusing.

But then the comments of "ugh I ate too much today" or "today was a total cheat day" started. Then I'd look at their diary and they ate 900-1000 calories. That was their disgusting cheat today. So I unfriended that person, for my own reasons. No need to cause a scene or openly criticize her. What if she was dealing with something I didn't know about?

I really think that beyond a simple mention if you're close, it's really no one's business.

So what do YOU think? Also, what kind of too few calories are we talking about? 1000 calories of veggies and meat and dairy, or 500 calories of chips? You have to decide if you're nourishing yourself properly.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I didn't mean to say I don't understand what the message is saying....what I mean is: Do you just ignore it or eat more? I'm wondering how many people are eating close to their recommended totals.

I'm at 1200 cals per day but with exercise at the end of the day I've got 300-400 left over calories and that's when I'm getting the message.

I wouldn't worry about it
  • alaliberte
    Options

Uh..... Obviously no. If you aren't eating back all of your workout calories you will get that message as well. I used to get that message every freaking day, but according to my health care professional I was eating great and in the range I needed to be to reach my goals, so just ignored it.

OK--THIS is what I was trying to get at! I don't think I'm eating back my calories from exercise. I never really noticed this before. But, I'm definitely not starving myself and I exercise just about every day. This is it. THANKS!!
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Don't even pay attention to it. Not everyone's BMR is 1200 calories.
  • laarae
    laarae Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I get that message when I don't eat back workout calories-I usually ignore it-my calorie intake goal is between 1200-1300 even though MFP says 1480 cals everyday before working out. Somedays I go over that 12-13 range mostly though I keep it between that range.
  • Rubyayn
    Rubyayn Posts: 433 Member
    Options

Netting 800 calories per day simply isnt healthy unless you have had surgery and are physically incapable of eating more than that. I would learn your BMR and TDEE numbers and try to NET inbetween them. This site will crunch the numbers for you:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

My advice would be to eat more. I am 5'4", 138 pounds and losing while not netting below 1600 on workout days. Rest days I net at 2000-2100. Good luck!
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options

I would eat back some of the calories. You don't have to eat all back, but 1200 calories is enough for basic functioning, so the extra calories are needed to help fuel your workouts and maintain your new active lifestyle.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options

OK--THIS is what I was trying to get at! I don't think I'm eating back my calories from exercise. I never really noticed this before. But, I'm definitely not starving myself and I exercise just about every day. This is it. THANKS!!

Apologies. I should have written the word NETTING instead of EATING. I just assumed that she would be following the system that the site she is using has in place. That would be eating back your exercise calories.
  • SHHitsKaty
    Options
    I agree with all of those posting above. Eating only 800 calories a day is not healthy.
  • EnchantedEvening
    EnchantedEvening Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    and i'm quite comfortable during the day. But I know i should be eating more.
    If you're comfortably full and not getting enough calories, then you need to figure out how to add calories to your meals. Even just two tablespoons of peanut butter can add nearly 200 calories; you can put it on anything - mix it into oatmeal, put it on your celery or whatever you eat as a snack, etc.

Drinking a glass of milk adds a bit too. Cheese cubes. Stuff like that. Change your thinking from "it means I have to eat more food" to "I have to eat more calorie-rich food".
  • Fat2Fit145
    Fat2Fit145 Posts: 385 Member
    Options

Oh cool. Well i ignore mine... cus i dont force to eat... but i am mindful of it though.... so some days i eat over, and the days i dont, well i dont sweat it.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options

I would encourage you to eat back your exercise calories. Of course it's clearly your choice, but that is why you're getting that message. Would you be comfortable, on a non-exercise day, eating only 800 calories? That's basically what you're doing. And maybe that's OK for you (I suspect not, but some people are really small or have a low BMR). If that's OK with you, just ignore the message. You can also enter in your exercise, but change the calorie burn to only 1 calorie. Again, I personally don't think you should be eating that low, but if you want to, that will get rid of the message, since it seems to bother you.