Anyone shopping on Black Friday?

Replies

• Nice
    Nice Posts: 84
    depends on my mood that day..if I feel like punching someone in the face that day..then yes, I may go..:)
  • LOVE LOVE LOVE shopping on Black Friday even if I don't need to get anything. It is fun to people watch!! The sales actually start "Turkey "Thursday...so far the earliest I have seen is 8 PM Thanksgiving evening...Wal-Mart and Sears...I am sure there are others too I just haven't seent he ads yet. Check out BlackFriday.com

I think at one time K-Mart always had a Thanksgiving day sale too...

Good luck!!! Stay safe...and BE PATIENT!!!

That's just sad though. 8 p.m. ON THANKSGIVING?? You may be shopping, but those employees are missing family time, not by choice. Just another reason not to participate.

I have worked on Thanksgiving before. It was hell and I was so upset. Old Navy feels it necessary to make EVERY employee working in their store to work Thanksgiving so it's "fair". They still do this because as they told me then "We make $100,000 that day alone". Yeah, how nice for them. While I was working for minimum wage trying to afford gas to get to college they were making bank on me. Not to mention that year my father had driven down from Connecticut to North Carolina to spend Thanksgiving with me for the first time in 2 years, and I had to leave to work from 3-9 PM and missed him leaving to go home. I'm still bitter about it and at Old Navy.
  • dodihere
    dodihere Posts: 490
    My cousin and I started black friday shopping over ten years ago. The last few years I have bought everything online, but we still meet at 2 a.m. for breakfast!
  • PBsMommy
    PBsMommy Posts: 1,166 Member
    One black friday a woman stabbed me in the hand with a plastic fork over some $10 moon sand at Wal-Mart. I still have no clue why. There was still a WHOLE pallet and also a half one left of them. I threw the damn box at her face, then picked another one off the FULL Pallet and walked off. People go batsh!t crazy on black friday... I usally don't do Wal-Mart anymore. I stick to places like Belk or K-Mart. Those aren't as packed and crazy around here as Wal-Mart or god forbid Toys R US. It turns into Toys R Death on black friday around here....

Also, worked retail at Wal-mart one black friday..... Just as bad. I had to basically leave my family's house after thanksgiving, come home take a real quick shower and go into work. Then once there the madness didn't stop, people trying to get things early, people trying to walk out of the store with things, people hitting people with random, crazy *kitten* objects. I told everyone of my customers the plastic fork story in detail. It made all of them laugh and kept me in a cheerful mood. I do remember we had a few county police officers there the whole day.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member

Becasue people who applied for a job, knowing the hours, had to work those hours?

Confused?

When I was in HS I had to work every holiday but Christmas.

They do know the hours. It's dumb that the companies have become so greedy that now they open earlier and earlier every year.
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    One black friday a woman stabbed me in the hand with a plastic fork over some $10 moon sand at Wal-Mart. I still have no clue why. There was still a WHOLE pallet and also a half one left of them. I threw the damn box at her face, then picked another one off the FULL Pallet and walked off. People go batsh!t crazy on black friday... I usally don't do Wal-Mart anymore. I stick to places like Belk or K-Mart. Those aren't as packed and crazy around here as Wal-Mart or god forbid Toys R US. It turns into Toys R Death on black friday around here....

Also, worked retail at Wal-mart one black friday..... Just as bad. I had to basically leave my family's house after thanksgiving, come home take a real quick shower and go into work. Then once there the madness didn't stop, people trying to get things early, people trying to walk out of the store with things, people hitting people with random, crazy *kitten* objects. I told everyone of my customers the plastic fork story in detail. It made all of them laugh and kept me in a cheerful mood. I do remember we had a few county police officers there the whole day.

Lol, that's crazy! The walmart here hires out CJ students at our local schools and other security guards and pays them $8/hr. I WOULD NOT do that lol
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Go out later. The best deals (like TVs) are gone, but if you're shopping for other things, the deals will be on still and the crowd dies down by early afternoon.
  • know_your_worth
    know_your_worth Posts: 481 Member
    Nope. I can't stand crowds.
    Which reminds me, I'm SO grateful I don't work retail anymore. Black friday was the worst :indifferent:
  • PBsMommy
    PBsMommy Posts: 1,166 Member

Lol, that's crazy! The walmart here hires out CJ students at our local schools and other security guards and pays them $8/hr. I WOULD NOT do that lol

Not for no $8.00 an hour!!! I better get some hazard pay....
  • beansprouts
    beansprouts Posts: 410 Member
    I think I remember reading somewhere that Walmart employees were planning a Black Friday walkout...Is that still on?
  • LOVE LOVE LOVE shopping on Black Friday even if I don't need to get anything. It is fun to people watch!! The sales actually start "Turkey "Thursday...so far the earliest I have seen is 8 PM Thanksgiving evening...Wal-Mart and Sears...I am sure there are others too I just haven't seent he ads yet. Check out BlackFriday.com

That's just sad though. 8 p.m. ON THANKSGIVING?? You may be shopping, but those employees are missing family time, not by choice. Just another reason not to participate.

Not everyone celebrates Thanksgiving on Thanksgiving...I worked in retail for 7 years and like every other occupation you schedule accordingly, you know you work holidays/weekend etc when going into retail, medical, police, fire, etc...so you schedule your holiday some other time...
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Not everyone celebrates Thanksgiving on Thanksgiving..

You're right, they don't

But I think it's pretty unreasonable to expect people in retail to work on Thanksgiving day/night...
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    No. Never have, and I never will.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member

This just re-enforces my belief that Wal-mart shoppers are bat-*kitten* crazy.... Though perhaps not all.

I also had to laugh at your "Toys R Death"....
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    My fiance and I did it last year because his mother decided that we're not good enough to dine with her on Thanxgiving anymore, even though we live with her. We stood on a very long line for many many hours. We might do it again this year, depending on the weather and whether or not there are any good deals. My advice is to bundle up and get there semi-early if possible.
  • a_crotty
    a_crotty Posts: 225 Member
    Hey guys, this is the first year that I'll be in the US (Miami to be exact) during thanksgiving and I would like to get some shopping done since I heard there are some really great deals...but i'm cautious and trying to plan ahead as much as I can because I simply REFUSE to deal with the kind of madness I've seen on the news and youtube on Black Friday.

Any Black Friday shoppers out there? If you've had the experience before, do you have any advice for a rookie? :ohwell:

Just remain positive and do it, it's a blast!

Not everyone celebrates Thanksgiving on Thanksgiving...I worked in retail for 7 years and like every other occupation you schedule accordingly, you know you work holidays/weekend etc when going into retail, medical, police, fire, etc...so you schedule your holiday some other time...

I've worked retail and that is not true. Most retails use to never have people working on Holidays. They have been doing that more in modern days and its not comparable to medical, police and fire. Those are jobs which are providing a service that is a need to the community so there is a bit more understanding to why they must work even though it is sad that they don't get to have the time with their families. Retail isn't a 'need' to a community and the work on holidays is out of pure greed.
  • jacquelyn_erika
    jacquelyn_erika Posts: 524 Member
    No way, no how. There is nothing in the world I want that bad. I'm totally good.
  • notsosimplyabby
    notsosimplyabby Posts: 138 Member
    Wear your boxing gloves!
    I don't even go for the deals anymore! I go for the excitement!

Last year a woman wanted a $2 mini-crockpot at WalMart so bad she swung at me because I got in her way right as the bell rang! Thankfully, I have quick reflexes and I got the heck outta her way (as she was calling me every curse word in the book, with her young daughter in the cart beside of her!)
  • Charmed285
    Charmed285 Posts: 189 Member
    there was a fight at walmart over a BED SPREAD..smh...other than that I haven't experenced or heard (if i recall correctly) anything bad. just terrible lines. though, last year was my first time attending. I just tagged along with a friend. oh and I heard in the line when two girls were behind me that there may have been another...I dont remember anymore.