• Riley1511riley
    Riley1511riley Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    That was stationary bike and it was miles
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    brendaj39 wrote: »
    I know riding a stationary bike compared to riding outside is alot different. I'm just happy with my self that I am able to ride for 30-45 mintues without stopping and taking breaks..

good for you. the last time i got on a stationary bike i was doing a 20km round-trip commute in the 'real' world every day. hills and bridges and all.

but for some reason 5 minutes on the stationary bike had me deciding i'd rather eat styrofoam. i wouldn't be so quick to assume stationary bikes are 'less' than the 'real' kind. sure wasn't true in my case.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    I ride 60 min every morning somnetimes its 18 miles sometimes it 22 miles (stationary in my living room) Level 13
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,990 Member
    Options
    I ride my spin bike at relatively low resistance consistently at 20-22mph for 30 mins at 90-100 rpm covering 10-11miles on the computer, which works out to 3 min or less per mile and maxes my HR at around 120-130 bpm, which is my target zone.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Hi guys, I wonder if you can help me. I have been working out on a stationary bike and have seen a lot of stuff online (including upwards in this thread) about people routinely managing 10 miles in 30 mins. I can manage 4 miles in 33 minutes, and that's if i'm really gunning for it. Could someone let me know how many rpms they are reaching? I am going at around 80rpm which feels quite fast, but I have only begun fairly recently - last few months - so maybe I will be able to attain this further down the line.

Thanks for reading!
    Gill

Cadence is an individual thing but in very general terms you want to be somewhere in the neighbourhood of 90 rpm. You probably have the resistance set too high (useful if you're training for hills)
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Hi guys, I wonder if you can help me. I have been working out on a stationary bike and have seen a lot of stuff online (including upwards in this thread) about people routinely managing 10 miles in 30 mins. I can manage 4 miles in 33 minutes, and that's if i'm really gunning for it. Could someone let me know how many rpms they are reaching? I am going at around 80rpm which feels quite fast, but I have only begun fairly recently - last few months - so maybe I will be able to attain this further down the line.

Thanks for reading!
    Gill

It comes down to cadence. To hit 10 miles in 30 minutes, you need a cadence in the mid 90's....so somewhere around 95 revolutions per minute.

Cadence doesn't matter. Come visit me, I'll show you a lot of roads that go downhill for more than 10 miles without stopping, you can cover those 10 miles in 15 minutes and not pedal once.

It call comes down to power. Speed = power * all opposing forces. Opposing forces are air resistance, gravity, etc. In general, 20 mph requires about 160 watts on flat ground on a windless day if you're riding a road bike on the hoods.
  • kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    What weight (rider and bike) and CdA are you using? I'm pushing around 190 watts at 20 mph, 240 watts at 22 mph, and 270 watts at 23 mph. Rider and bike ~85.7 kg and semi tucked (hands on hoods but lower arm near perpendicular to the ground, 0.31 < CdA < 0.35; don't have the right PM to calculate it). See http://www.cyclingpowerlab.com/PowerSpeedScenarios.aspx for quick and dirty calc.

I'll be very surprised if one can generate that kind of wattage on a spin bike. It's the same BS proponents of rollers been pushing for decades.
    It comes down to cadence. To hit 10 miles in 30 minutes, you need a cadence in the mid 90's....so somewhere around 95 revolutions per minute.
    You forgot to indicate what gear ratio. Here is except from http://www.bikecalc.com/speed_at_cadence, reflecting current popular chain ring/gear combination. This is just the speed generated based on the gear inch and does not take into account resistance (wind & friction). Actual speed on a bicycle is lower.

How fast (mph) will I be going at 90-100 rpm in these gears?
    Gear | 90rpm | 95rpm | 100rpm
    34x12 | 20.05 | 21.16 | 22.27
    34x13 | 18.56 | 19.59 | 20.62
    42x15 | 19.83 | 20.94 | 22.04
    42x16 | 18.63 | 19.67 | 20.70
    46x16 | 20.40 | 21.53 | 22.67
    46x17 | 19.20 | 20.26 | 21.33
    50x18 | 19.69 | 20.79 | 21.88
    50x19 | 18.63 | 19.67 | 20.70
    52x18 | 20.47 | 21.61 | 22.75
    52x19 | 19.41 | 20.49 | 21.57
    53x19 | 19.76 | 20.86 | 21.96
    Could someone let me know how many rpms they are reaching?

The cadence does not matter. The same speed can be maintained either with high cadence and low power or low cadence and high power. Only the power output matters. The reason for the advocacy for high cadence (endurance) is to shift the workload from the skeletal muscles to the cardiovascular system. Skeletal muscles fatigue quickly and take a longer time to recover. In contrast, your cardiovascular system is much much more resilient and by capitalizing a small potion of the skeletal muscles' capability, you can hum all day.
  • kcjchang
    Options
    Meant to say
    * high cadence (angular velocity) and low force (torque) or low cadence and high force

Force is this cause is how hard you push on the pedals.
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I typically do about 15 to 16 mph, but I have the resistance up and I'm doing hills. My RPMs are in the upper 90s in the flats but much lower on the hills.
  • dean091088
    dean091088 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Speed is irrelavant depends on lots of factors , best way is most likely training with power or a heart rate monitor set ur zones and stick to them.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,691 Member
    Options
    I have a recumbent stationary bike. I'll usually start at 0 resistance and build up to 8 or 10. My average speed is 24 mph. A mile takes about 2 1/2 minutes. What I have seen is that it doesn't burn many calories. I read somewhere that riding outside, 5 miles equals 1 mile on foot, but with the stationary bike, it takes about 7 - 8 miles to burn 100 calories.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    How do you go a mile on a stationary bike?
  • GregHenderson2
    GregHenderson2 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. 11 miles in 30 minutes is obviously 22 mph. I reasonably fit this would be attainable. This is about pace that I keep on a commercial grade well calibrated "life fitness" stationary. Anywhere between 18 and 24 mph is what I do. However, for me to keep 24 mph pace for an entire hour is once in a blue moon when fresh legs, fitnessand nutrition all line up. At 22 mph you would be "feeling a burn" and sweating. I dont belive 30 mph would be possible by a mortal on a calibrated stationary bike, however.
  • kcjchang
    Options
    You should race. Lower division amateur road racers (Cat 3-5) average around 20-23 mph. If you can hold above 18 mph solo, you should finish and at 24, place.
  • NerdyFlex
    NerdyFlex Posts: 1,672 Member
    Options
    That’s a reasonable time for sure. I usually run, but I am recovering from an overdue injury in my knee and have switched to biking. I’m usually around that same pace!
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    At spin class, I can do about 20 miles per hour and I'm not fast.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    How do you go a mile on a stationary bike?

This sounds like a riddle or a joke that's begging for a punchline.