paleo side effects and how long did they last?

Options
I recently started Paleo, 15 days ago, there are a few side TEMPORARY effects I am getting and wondering if anyone else has had these issues and how long they lasted? Most concerning one is my lack of energy, the gym is like hell now, very hard to get any cardio done, I know you are not supposed to do alot on the paleo, but even a 10 minute walk is hard, also the other major ones are dehydration, bags under my eyes, tired looking, dizzy, dry skin, night sweats, THESE ARE ALL NORMAL FOR SWITCHING OVER as your body needs to get used to the new diet, just wondering if anyone else went through this and how long did they last? From researching online it says anywheres from 2 - 4 weeks, just want to hear from some people that actualy went through this and stuck it out.....

***I do want to mention the benefits are great from this diet, no more bloating, no more "food babies", regular BM, and no more anxiety!!! which is a huge one for me :happy:

PLease let me know how long your side effects lasted if you are on this diet, thanks! PLEASE DON'T ANSWER IF YOUR NOT ON THIS DIET

Please note I drink 2 litres of water a day, and do eat some carbs from sweet potato and some fruit.

Replies

• dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Oh dear. I have zero desire to try the paleo diet and reading this post just convinced me more to avoid it!

In all seriousness, I'm sorry you're feeling so blah. I hope you transition over to feeling good all around soon! Other friends that I know that have tried paleo all go on and on about how much they love it - BUT, I also think they "cheat" from time to time and aren't strictly following it.
  • alaskaang
    alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Eating paleo does not have to be low carb. Sweet potatoes are great for work out days. We also eat rice.

Not quite sure why you are dehydrated because of it, unless you've cut down your liquid intake - drink more water. :)
  • noojim
    noojim Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Hmm. I don't really know what would cause this, as I don't really know what all goes under paleo diets. From the symptoms I'd recommend trying to drink some good quality mineral water and see if that would help.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    Eating paleo does not have to be low carb. Sweet potatoes are great for work out days. We also eat rice.

Not quite sure why you are dehydrated because of it, unless you've cut down your liquid intake - drink more water. :)

I drink 2 litres of water a day :frown:
  • jennaworksout
    Options

yes I eat sweet potato, and some fruit, and drink 2 litres of water a day, I just want to know how long the effect have lastest from people eho are on this diet
  • axialmeow
    axialmeow Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Hmmmmmm....seems like this isnt working for you.
  • jennaworksout
    Options
    Hmmmmmm....seems like this isnt working for you.

yes these side effects are normal, just wondering how long they last :)
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I would not follow any diet that made me feel like that. And clearly you're not overweight...why torture yourself?? What people do to lose those last few pounds just boggles my mind. It's a number on the scale. I would rather feel healthy and fit. If you need a change in your body....try strength training and lifting weights. Eat sensibly and in your calorie goal. And see a doctor because you should NOT be feeling like that on a 'diet'.
  • alaskaang
    alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
    Options

yes I eat sweet potato, and some fruit, and drink 2 litres of water a day, I just want to know how long the effect have lastest from people eho are on this diet

The only time I've heard of anyone having drastic side effects of eating this way is because they are low carb. Have you drastically reduced calories, or could something else be going on? Some of what you are describing could be thyroid or hormone related.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Most concerning one is my lack of energy, the gym is like hell now, very hard to get any cardio done, I know you are not supposed to do alot on the paleo, but even a 10 minute walk is hard, also the other major ones are dehydration, bags under my eyes, tired looking, dizzy, dry skin, night sweats,

Sounds completely awful.

You don't have to suffer. I lost all of my weight and never once felt bad like that.

Don't suffer!!
  • jennaworksout
    Options
    Plaese note these are only TEMPORARY side effects, your body has to get used to not burning sugar and start burning fat....its a huge transition, I didnt mean to sound like it the worst diet ever, I love the foods, I love the fact I eat whole foods, no more prepackaged sugar crap. When it comes to exercise I am a little fatigued, other than that I feel fine. Sorry for the confusion!!!
  • taldapa
    Options
    I had a couple of friends that went on the paleo diet for about a month or so, the side effects didn't last much longer than a week.
  • believe22
    believe22 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I would not follow any diet that made me feel like that. And clearly you're not overweight...why torture yourself?? What people do to lose those last few pounds just boggles my mind. It's a number on the scale. I would rather feel healthy and fit. If you need a change in your body....try strength training and lifting weights. Eat sensibly and in your calorie goal. And see a doctor because you should NOT be feeling like that on a 'diet'.

Its not necessarily a "diet" to lose wight. Its mainly about clean eating.

I haven't done paleo so I don't have any answers for you, but I do hope they subside soon. I was reading a blog the other day about a woman who did the 30 days then started to slowly reintroduce certain foods back. By the time she was done she said she felt great. I'll try to find a link for you
  • jennaworksout
    Options

Its not necessarily a "diet" to lose wight. Its mainly about clean eating.

I haven't done paleo so I don't have any answers for you, but I do hope they subside soon. I was reading a blog the other day about a woman who did the 30 days then started to slowly reintroduce certain foods back. By the time she was done she said she felt great. I'll try to find a link for you

Yes, I guess the word diet shouldn't be used, it is clean eating, thanks so much!!! :flowerforyou:
  • cherod70
    Options
    I have been on the paleo diet a few months now and I felt great from day one. Diet is very individual thing and your body may need more sugar (from natural sources) and if you don’t feel well the way you are eating may not be right for you. I eat small portions of fruit and starchy carbs everyday. This is the best diet I have ever been on, I eat unlimited amounts of food and I don't have to worry about counting calories, I just focus on eating whole foods!! :)
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Rice is a grain...
  • jennaworksout
    Options
    I have been on the paleo diet a few months now and I felt great from day one. Diet is very individual thing and your body may need more sugar (from natural sources) and if you don’t feel well the way you are eating may not be right for you. I eat small portions of fruit and starchy carbs everyday. This is the best diet I have ever been on, I eat unlimited amounts of food and I don't have to worry about counting calories, I just focus on eating whole foods!! :)

yes I do feel better on days I eat sweet potato , and butternut squash, so I may incorprate a bit more each day , see how that goes.thanks!!
  • jennaworksout
    Options

Rice is a grain...

exactly, def not paleo
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    How much are you eating? I've followed paleo before and at most I would feel a little less energized for the first week but after that I felt fine.

Chances are if you're not tracking your food and you've switched over to paleo you're not eating enough calories to fuel your body.
  • TaterTotz777
    Options
    I just talked to a co-worker of mine who has done paleo and she didnt have side effects lasting longer than a few days. She also does CrossFit so maybe this diet isnt working for you.