paleo side effects and how long did they last?

Options

Replies

• jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    How much are you eating? I've followed paleo before and at most I would feel a little less energized for the first week but after that I felt fine.

Chances are if you're not tracking your food and you've switched over to paleo you're not eating enough calories to fuel your body.

yes this could be it, when I switched over , I am still counting at 1200 a day , so I may have to up my calorie intake for this new way of eating....that makes sense totally!!! thanks!!!
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    How much are you eating? I've followed paleo before and at most I would feel a little less energized for the first week but after that I felt fine.

Chances are if you're not tracking your food and you've switched over to paleo you're not eating enough calories to fuel your body.

yes this could be it, when I switched over , I am still counting at 1200 a day , so I may have to up my calorie intake for this new way of eating....that makes sense totally!!! thanks!!!

Calories are calories, if you were eating 1200 before and felt fine and you're eating 1200 cals now then the fatigue should go away. My concern is that you're not eating enough overall, but you are pretty short so that would adjust your BMR to a low-ish number. What are your workouts like? Activity, intensity, duration? Also, what are your macros like?

Also, why did you choose paleo? Do you think you have sensitivies and you're trying to find the source of them? Its highly restrictive which is really not necessary unless you have tolerance issues with grains/gluten or dairy.
  • Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Check out the paleo primal support group! It will be much more helpful.

Go to community and search for it there :-)
  • feisma
    feisma Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    You may be low on your fat intake. Try incorporating some avocado, coconut oil, etc. and see if that helps.
  • Caitlinhappymeal
    Caitlinhappymeal Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    sorry no advice as i havent done it, but what is a food baby? xx
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I am going to post just because I was told not to.
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I realize that there are many zealous people who swear by this diet... but having tried it I just don't think it's sustainable or at all healthy in the long term. I don't have any math or flashy pictures to wave at you to prove this to you. I just eat a balanced diet as recommended by legitimate nutrition science.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    You're probably low on carbs
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I had the "low carb flu" the first time I did South Beach induction (phase 1), but it only lasted a couple of days. One helpful hint I've seen, but not tried, is to drink a cup or two of chicken or beef broth a day until your body adjusts.

Don't worry about restricting calories right now, and don't try to make Paleo/primal into a low-fat way of eating. Eat when you're hungry, and eat until you're satisfied but not stuffed. You should naturally settle into an appropriate amount. For me, it's 1400 to 1500 calories, without consciously counting.
  • jennaworksout
    Options
    ok, again these are temporary...not long term, can anyone to tell me how long theirs lasted??? and I am not in agony or anything..LMAO ..just less energy than before...I went to gym,yesterday and had a good 40 minute speed walk on treadmill, with no problems, today I am really tired, its up and down :laugh:
  • chilly1979
    chilly1979 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    How much fat do you eat? If you go low fat and try to excise it will kill you on Palio.
    Also if you cardio is too intense you will have trouble unless you eat more good carbs.

I can do a 3 hour Mountain bike ride and if I am not killing myself the whole time I am fine. Even if I do push myself I slow down and I am fine. Just can’t go as fast. Before I started this diet if I did not get food in my ASAP I was in trouble. Now I never have that issue.

That being said I am fat. Weighed 315 when I started and now I am 264 and I am only 5’5”. It might make a difference I have so much fat to pull from. My buddy lost about 120 on this diet and had to eat a lot more starches and fruit when he thinned out to keep his energy up.
  • eve7166
    eve7166 Posts: 223 Member
    Options

Calories are calories, if you were eating 1200 before and felt fine and you're eating 1200 cals now then the fatigue should go away. My concern is that you're not eating enough overall, but you are pretty short so that would adjust your BMR to a low-ish number. What are your workouts like? Activity, intensity, duration? Also, what are your macros like?

Also, why did you choose paleo? Do you think you have sensitivies and you're trying to find the source of them? Its highly restrictive which is really not necessary unless you have tolerance issues with grains/gluten or dairy.

this is not true. Yes overall you are eating the same amount of calories, however, how your body is processing it is different. Your body digest protein slower then sugar so it might be taking longer say during your workout to get the energy you need from your food. I say try to eat more starches (sweet potatoe expample) or some fruit about half an hour to an before a work out and see if that helps. Also, not sure about the water thing (i havent done paleo but i have done low carbs so I have gone into ketosis..however I dont know if you can even go into ketosis eating sweetpotatoe so that might not be your case). I also recomended upping you calories maybe 200-300 and see if you feel better. Once you get use to it you can go back down a little. But if you are low carb (as in paleo) you really shouldnt be restricting so many calories. :)

when I did low carb it lasted 2 weeks not feeling so great!
  • jennaworksout
    Options
    I am going to post just because I was told not to.

hahahaha , noone is reading that part anyways :laugh:
  • Katbody10
    Katbody10 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Plaese note these are only TEMPORARY side effects, your body has to get used to not burning sugar and start burning fat....its a huge transition, I didnt mean to sound like it the worst diet ever, I love the foods, I love the fact I eat whole foods, no more prepackaged sugar crap. When it comes to exercise I am a little fatigued, other than that I feel fine. Sorry for the confusion!!!

I certainly hope you have consulted with your doctor before switching to this diet. There is no proven science that this will even help you lose weight. Take a moment to read this article.

http://health.usnews.com/best-diet/paleo-diet

Let's face it .. some "Dr." or anyone has simply revised a form of healthy eating and is making a buck off selling books/literature and websites (even if they're free)..

It's another form of Weight Watchers, South Beach Diet .. Low Carb Diet.. Gluten Free diet .. Jenny Craig diet .. whatever the "fad" diet is of the day. Some will find success .. many won't .. or at least .. won't having permanent and lasting results.

It's about watching what you stick in your mouth .. and hopefully - if you are able .. incorporating some kind of exercise in your LIFESTLYE.

People have allergies .. people have medical issues .. there are many reasons why people have to eat a certain way. Many people don't have any issues like that .. and simply need to take care of themselves better.

Good Luck on your "diet" .. if it's temporary .. then pick a length of time that's acceptable to you as "temporary" .. if after a month you still experience such horrible side effects .. then try something else. :flowerforyou:

P.S. There are known celebrities who have opted to permanently LIVE the Paleo way .. Sting is one of them
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    3 days to a week max. That is TYPICAL.

What do your macros look like?
  • chilly1979
    chilly1979 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    ok, again these are temporary...not long term, can anyone to tell me how long theirs lasted??? and I am not in agony or anything..LMAO ..just less energy than before...I went to gym,yesterday and had a good 40 minute speed walk on treadmill, with no problems, today I am really tired, its up and down :laugh:

When I started I did not work out until the second week and it was in the third week my energy picked up.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Eating paleo does not have to be low carb. Sweet potatoes are great for work out days. We also eat rice.

Not quite sure why you are dehydrated because of it, unless you've cut down your liquid intake - drink more water. :)

Rice is a grain...

wild rice is not a grain.
  • jennaworksout
    Options

When I started I did not work out until the second week and it was in the third week my energy picked up.

thanks you!!!!!!! someone who actually answered my question!!!!! :drinker: :bigsmile:
  • jennaworksout
    Options
    Plaese note these are only TEMPORARY side effects, your body has to get used to not burning sugar and start burning fat....its a huge transition, I didnt mean to sound like it the worst diet ever, I love the foods, I love the fact I eat whole foods, no more prepackaged sugar crap. When it comes to exercise I am a little fatigued, other than that I feel fine. Sorry for the confusion!!!

I certainly hope you have consulted with your doctor before switching to this diet. There is no proven science that this will even help you lose weight. Take a moment to read this article.

http://health.usnews.com/best-diet/paleo-diet

Let's face it .. some "Dr." or anyone has simply revised a form of healthy eating and is making a buck off selling books/literature and websites (even if they're free)..

It's another form of Weight Watchers, South Beach Diet .. Low Carb Diet.. Gluten Free diet .. Jenny Craig diet .. whatever the "fad" diet is of the day. Some will find success .. many won't .. or at least .. won't having permanent and lasting results.

It's about watching what you stick in your mouth .. and hopefully - if you are able .. incorporating some kind of exercise in your LIFESTLYE.

People have allergies .. people have medical issues .. there are many reasons why people have to eat a certain way. Many people don't have any issues like that .. and simply need to take care of themselves better.

Good Luck on your "diet" .. if it's temporary .. then pick a length of time that's acceptable to you as "temporary" .. if after a month you still experience such horrible side effects .. then try something else. :flowerforyou:

P.S. There are known celebrities who have opted to permanently LIVE the Paleo way .. Sting is one of them

whoa
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Eating paleo does not have to be low carb. Sweet potatoes are great for work out days. We also eat rice.

Not quite sure why you are dehydrated because of it, unless you've cut down your liquid intake - drink more water. :)

Rice is a grain...

wild rice is not a grain.

What is it then?

Hint:

http://plants.usda.gov/java/ClassificationServlet?source=display&classid=ZIZAN