No more soda?

Options
2»

Replies

• kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    Wow that makes me want to start kickboxing.
  • gddrdld
    gddrdld Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    My issue with most studies like this is the causal link...how can they isolate diet soda as the culprit...

The study found the association with regular sweetened sodas, not diet. The study sample was quite small and the cases associated with intake of "2 or more sodas per week" was extremely small. Although they were able to report a "statistically significant association", they in no way proved causation with this limited observational study.

""Susan Mayne, PhD, associate director of the Yale Cancer Center and professor of epidemiology at the Yale School of Public Health, called the study results ''intriguing" in a statement but cautioned that the study finding was based on a relatively small number of cases and does not prove cause and effect. She is an editorial board member of the journal. The study was funded by the National Cancer Institute.""
  • ElizaRoche
    ElizaRoche Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I read this drinking my diet coke... how ironic :drinker: :bigsmile:
  • Chewster001
    Chewster001 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    My issue with most studies like this is the causal link...how can they isolate diet soda as the culprit...

The study found the association with regular sweetened sodas, not diet. The study sample was quite small and the cases associated with intake of "2 or more sodas per week" was extremely small. Although they were able to report a "statistically significant association", they in no way proved causation with this limited observational study.

""Susan Mayne, PhD, associate director of the Yale Cancer Center and professor of epidemiology at the Yale School of Public Health, called the study results ''intriguing" in a statement but cautioned that the study finding was based on a relatively small number of cases and does not prove cause and effect. She is an editorial board member of the journal. The study was funded by the National Cancer Institute.""

Yup. This. It's not proven causal. It's just a little added information. There are hundred year old Cubans who claim they owe their long lives to rum, cigars, and a healthy sex life. Take all this information and do with it what you will.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Utter crap. So they drank two cans of pop. Big deal. How do they define that it was the pop and not any other carb in their diet exactly?

Statistical significance in science can me 1 in 100. Look up some statin blockers - they claim 33% less heart attacks per year... when in fact 2 in 3 people die from heart attacks instead of 3 when the drug is used.

None story for a research institute or college or similar looking for funding.
  • lenniebus
    lenniebus Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Thanks! So it's pretty limited then...and my guess is sugar of other sorts could also be linked? Say if I ate skittles twice a week...not that I do...
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    well for one - where is the study?

http://bit.ly/YT8LLA

Great, now that you've googled terms associated with it, can you go to a peer reviewed research source like pubmed and post links to the actual research?

Example:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2694313/

The above does NOT support your conclusion.

The recent study that does support it appears to rely on a correlation that is based on self reported data.

In my personal opinion, I'd discard the notion that soda causes pancreatic cancer. I would buy into the hypothesis that being obese could contribute to various cancers and as such, I'd limit my soda consumption due to the calories.
  • Chewster001
    Chewster001 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    well for one - where is the study?

http://bit.ly/YT8LLA

Great, now that you've googled terms associated with it, can you go to a peer reviewed research source like pubmed and post links to the actual research?

Example:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2694313/

The above does NOT support your conclusion.

The recent study that does support it appears to rely on a correlation that is based on self reported data.

In my personal opinion, I'd discard the notion that soda causes pancreatic cancer. I would buy into the hypothesis that being obese could contribute to various cancers and as such, I'd limit my soda consumption due to the calories.
    Perhaps I'm reading into your post, but I'm hearing a nasty tone. Your post is a good study. I wouldn't "discard the notion" based on it, though. Let's not forget about population genetics. Each study was done in one geographic area and even genetics of the population could play a role in the differing results.
    Also, just because I don't feel like finding an article online for someone else who has as many keys on their keyboard as I do doesn't mean the article's bad. It also doesn't mean that I'm dedicated to its conclusions. I just thought it provided yet another good reason to cut back on soda.
  • sarkazm
    sarkazm Posts: 104
    Options
    I cut Soda completely out of my diet a year and a half ago. I do not miss it, and after about 2 weeks of no soda in my system, I felt so much better.

When I do crave something carbonated, I will have some club soda with Lemon and cucumber. Or I'll add some crystal light to it.

Same here, don't really miss it either. Water, tea and some juice once in a while suits me just fine!
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    MDs only present facts as THEY interpret them. Give 10 doctors the same facts from one study, and you will probably get 10 different 'recommendations'.

Scientists present facts from their research.

So lets say a research study says 4 out of 10 will get cancer from chewing bubblegum (totally imaginary study). One doctor would say 'that is a low risk', and another doctor could say, 'that is a moderate risk', and another would say, "that is a moderately low risk'. It is all based on *how* they interpret the facts.

Facts are facts, interpretations are basically opinions.

I like facts-I'm a nerd.
  • kevinsbarrett
    kevinsbarrett Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    What do you drink then? I would love to give up soda, but find I just need the bubbles and the flavor etc.
  • BehindBlueEyes988
    Options
    I gave up soda almost 3 years ago. I never drink it for fun or enjoyment. In fact, the only times I buy it is a can of Dr. Pepper as a *ahem* chaser for certain strong shots. That's the only times, other than that I never touch it nor miss it. Just an adjustment I suppose!
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    What do you drink then? I would love to give up soda, but find I just need the bubbles and the flavor etc.

Try some plain natural sparkling water with a squeeze of lemon or lime. I love it.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options

Seltzer. You get the bubbles and it comes in flavors. It has no sugar, no sodium . . . . nothing. It's just sparkly bubbly yummy goodness.

I'm not a fan of soda. I don't particularly like the way it tastes. The only time I actually crave it is if I'm really, really thirsty. I used to use it as a mixer when I drank alcohol but now I just use plain soda water. Tastes so much better!
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Soda is brilliant. I have no problems with any type of soda at all. As long as its in moderation. As with any food or drink source.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    This falls into the "requires more study" category.
    Also requires more study: Increase of shark attacks when ice cream stands open on the beach...
  • joapple11
    joapple11 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I agree with "everything causes cancer". I mean, even sunshine causes cancer if not kept in moderation. I once even read that cranberry sauce causes cancer....if you were to eat a bathtub full of it. I am sure that soda has some sort of effect on the body and that it isn't in a good way. But let's use our brains and be the grown ups we are. Moderation in all things, and stay away from things that cause you to be addicted. Especially if you are dieting and trying to change bad habits! :)
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I agree with "everything causes cancer". I mean, even sunshine causes cancer if not kept in moderation. I once even read that cranberry sauce causes cancer....if you were to eat a bathtub full of it. I am sure that soda has some sort of effect on the body and that it isn't in a good way. But let's use our brains and be the grown ups we are. Moderation in all things, and stay away from things that cause you to be addicted. Especially if you are dieting and trying to change bad habits! :)

Yep! We can also kill ourselves by drinking too much water. Too much of anything is no good it seems.
  • FullOfWinToo
    Options
    *sips my cherry Coke Zero*

Now, what is it that you were saying?

*whispers about her undying love for diet cherry vanilla Dr. Pepper*

I really need to get off these boards and go the store...