Is it possible to lose weight without much exercise?

Options

Replies

• PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Yes. Diet is the major part of your success.

/endthread

Pretty much, except you might still not like how you look when you reach your goal weight. Also I would say you need to be eating more.
  • EnchantedEvening
    EnchantedEvening Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I don't like to exercise during the summer months because the humidity is really hard on my asthma, so I reduced my calories a bit more and did just fine. Now that I'm exercising again, I can eat a little more (just in time for winter's comfort foods). ;)

My doctor said it's 80% diet and 20% exercise. If you can't exercise for whatever reason, you can still lose weight through keeping your calories low.

Of course it's recommended you get some exercise, even if it's just a 20-minute walk every day, but it isn't *required* for weight loss. My mother can hardly stand due to her diabetes causing neuropathy in her feet, but she's managed to lose 15 pounds so far just by switching to a healthier diet.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    I'm not positive because I am at the gym 5-6 days a week and do aerobics on my days off (AEROBICS-sex, zumba, step aerobics, walking or extreme house cleaning) and on top of that I'm type one diabetic so exercise can be difficult from low blood sugar so in reality how bad do u want it??
  • timmymon
    timmymon Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    exercise isn't such a bad thing ya know...
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Also, just do what you can. I just logged food for a long time (not even restricting) Then when I was ready I got my diet under control. After I did that I started doing some work out videos (which I hated). Now I've started lifting weights 3 times a week, and running at least two, plus some other stuff added in. I had to make one change stick, then move onto the next one. And this is the most successful I have ever been. You can lose weight without exercising at all, but I don't think I would be any happier with how my body looked. I've only lost a few pounds since starting NROL4W, but all of a sudden everyone is noticing that I've "lost weight". Good luck to you. :)
  • kimmireads
    kimmireads Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I'll try to elaborate a bit for ya. It will work for a while and you will lose weight. However, you may reach the point diet alone is not leading to more weight loss or you aren't losing as fast as you would like. Combining a good diet and exercise will get the best results the fastest. It's your call whether you want to or not, but to me exercising is something that takes time. You'll hate it for about the first month, then start craving it. Remember, it takes at least 21 days to form a habit. It won't happen overnight.

^^^^This^^^^
  • plus_chocolate
    Options
    Thanks guys! I know this is a long journey ahead of me, do I expect it to be easy? No. Since I've never had much luck before with my weight, hopefully when I see a change I'll start adapting to a more "I can do this" attitude. I don't want to just be a couch potato and set around inside all day but cut calories to lose weight. I am active, I'm just not super active in my opinion. I hope once I lose some of the weight I can start to feel good about the exercise part. Right now, honestly, I'm just to embarrassed to even go into a gym and attempt a workout.

Ok let me put myself in your shoes you are 213 5'2 but I am 225 5'3. I started MFP the beginning of October at 244 and I am loving the result that I know are to come. I do exercise and I hated it for a month I could only last long enough to burn like 500 max but I committed myself to exercise at least 3 days a week. Now I burn between 900 (on a slow day) and almost 2000(on a good day) and I am working to up my exercises and burn more. Can you lose weight without exercise...yes...but will you have loose skin...yes...and well you end up wanting to exercise at the end trying to tone it...probably. The one thing I do want you to realize is that although your weight may not drop as fast with exercise because your body is gaining muscle which weighs more...you will look better (body wise) with exercise. Also, do what you like...for me that is Zumba, BodyJam, and Body Attack classes
  • spikefoot
    Options
    Yes you can... but the stubborn final pounds melt away much faster and easier with exercise and diet combined... I cannot get below a certain point unless I exercise and then when I slack on the exercise I climb up a few lbs and hang around there....

I find that exercising makes me feel better in so many ways that being skinny can't... both are a good feeling though.
  • kimmy_1432
    kimmy_1432 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I work as a cashier at a retail outlet. I'm usually scheduled to work 8 1/2 hours including lunch. I stand all day except for lunch and breaks that equals around 1 hour. I also have to walk the front of the store picking up unwanted items and stuff like that. Also when I close I usually take carts of items back out to the floor.
  • Librarymind
    Librarymind Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    A Facebook friend from India tells me that they don't use exercise at all - only diet - to lose weight. Then he told me how they do it. It's amazing and it does work.
  • JosephVitte
    JosephVitte Posts: 2,039
    Options
    You can do it!:wink:
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options
    Yes. Diet is the major part of your success.

/endthread
  • FeebRyan
    FeebRyan Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    My understanding, is that if you dont exercise while you lose weight, your body will have a much harder time adjusting to your new weight, so you will be rather unfit and you will struggle with pockets of 'skin' that have not been toned into place with exercise.

I dont do any weightlifting, i just do strength training (in the form of bellydancing) at least 3 times a week and i do running 3 times a week.

It seems to be working marvellously so far, but yes, diet is the biggie. I know people say if you exercise you can eat what you want, but i dont really buy into this 'eat back all your exercise calories' thing.
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    everyone is different. my metabolism is sludge without exercise. exercise is the key to my weightloss. I used to hate it and now I luv it.
  • JosephVitte
    JosephVitte Posts: 2,039
    Options
    Drink a gallon of water a day, this will speed your metabolism, clean the toxins from your body, and give you life. Water is life
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    u can looe weight if u under your basal metabolic rate so say your BMR is 1700cals , anything under that u will lose weights so the answer is NO u dont need exercise , do u want optimal results then YES do exercise . but diet comes first always
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    The only thing that is necessary for weight loss is calorie deficit. I can't work out due to some health issues that I am scheduled to have surgery for in a week. It'll probably be February before I can strap on my new sneakers. But that's ok, because I'm working on maintaining a calorie deficit.
  • fragrantair
    Options
    Yeah I lost about 25 lbs by cutting out alot of calories and staying on my butt all day, but I've since gained 10 lbs back. I'm now only moderately cutting out calories, eating fewer carbs, and exercising. I'm tired of yoyo dieting. ;/
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options
    u can looe weight if u under your basal metabolic rate so say your BMR is 1700cals , anything under that u will lose weights so the answer is NO u dont need exercise , do u want optimal results then YES do exercise . but diet comes first always

I think you are confusing BMR with TDEE. You should not go below your BMR for health reasons...
    To lose weight you should eat at a reasonable deficit from your TDEE.