fear of 213.8 lbs and all muscle

Options
I am 5'4, 213.8 lbs. ( used to be 135 lbs 6 years ago ) I work out 3 hours a day, one hour running, one hour walking, one hour strength training. It has been 12 days since I started, and I eat clean, rarely have junk. I burn about 3000 calories a day, and eat about 2100. My BMR is 1700. I have not lost any weight yet. I am a bit nervous since it has been almost 2 weeks.. I know muscle weighs more then fat, and so on and so forth, but I have like 90 lbs to lose! mathematically I should be losing weight.. but I am not! How is this possible? I also drink a **** ton of water everyday, no less then 15 cups. I am doing everything right... so what am I doing wrong?

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    How do you know how much you're burning? Do you use a HRM? Are you carefully weighing/measuring everything?
  • Snikkee
    Snikkee Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I measure and weigh everything I eat. I use the bodybugg to calculate how many calories I burn in a day.
  • Snikkee
    Options
    A bit more help please.... anybody?????
  • FightingGenetics
    FightingGenetics Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Just stick to the PLAN. If you are doing everything right then it WILL happen.
  • FightingGenetics
    FightingGenetics Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Also look at what your calories are made out of. NOT ALL CALORIES ARE CREATED EQUAL!!!!!!!!! You should try 1700cal a day with 50% protein, 30% carbs and 20% fat. I have had great success with this.
  • ashlbubba
    ashlbubba Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Have you been taking your measurements? How are your clothes fitting?
  • jenniferinfl
    jenniferinfl Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Eventually the scale will start moving. I am definitely losing weight more slowly this time around with exercise added. Even though I'm eating at a deficit I haven't really lost all that much when you consider my size.

What's happening is that you aren't losing as much of the lean body mass that you usually lose with just diet. Eventually the scale has to start moving, it's just going to take some patience. If it hasn't moved at all in another couple weeks, you may want to look at restricting calories just a bit more.
  • xcoyote
    Options
    3 hour long workouts are insane! You do this 7 days a week?? Have a read up on Cortisol and what it does to your body. It may or may not be the reason you're not seeing weight loss...

Aim for a health Macro (Proteins, Carbs, Fats) Split, adjust your calories down each week or fortnight you don't see your weight going down generally taken from carbs is how I've done it in the past.

I will warn you thought, setting yourself up with such high volume at the beggining of losing weight is a receipe for failure. You don't leave yourself room to reduce calories/increase exercise as you get leaner.

Good luck :-)
  • bpmichael
    bpmichael Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Have you been to the doctor and had blood work done recently? Could you have hypothyroid or even kidney issues? I have heard people w/ kidney issues can gain lot of weight because of retaining water. With your calorie deficit you should be losing around a 4 or 5 pounds per week. Also, what is your body fat percentage? Another possiblity is you could be overtraining and your body needs a rest perhaps.
  • trinalily
    trinalily Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking you've been to the doctor and had all your blood work done? Hypothyroid can keep you from losing weight.
  • LordBear
    LordBear Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    ur cal intake is to high.
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of reasons for not dropping weight. As much as you are working out, I would imagine that you are sore. Sore muscles = inflammation = retained water. When the muscles heal, they will release the water.

There could be other factors too - sluggish digestion, body not having adjusted at the cellular level yet, etc. It's hard to speculate.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Muscle doesn't weigh more than fat, you didn't build significant muscle in a couple weeks, drop about 2 hours a day of exercise and lower your food intake. Quit eating exercise calories back.
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    12 days is not very long. If you've made these radical changes your body may still be trying to adjust.
  • ShiloughCoy
    Options
    I would suggest cutting down on your carb intake. I've had success with this in the past, but am stuck on a plateau myself right now, so take it for what it's worth! :)

Best of luck
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I am 5'4, 213.8 lbs. ( used to be 135 lbs 6 years ago ) I work out 3 hours a day, one hour running, one hour walking, one hour strength training. It has been 12 days since I started, and I eat clean, rarely have junk. I burn about 3000 calories a day, and eat about 2100. My BMR is 1700. I have not lost any weight yet. I am a bit nervous since it has been almost 2 weeks.. I know muscle weighs more then fat, and so on and so forth, but I have like 90 lbs to lose! mathematically I should be losing weight.. but I am not! How is this possible? I also drink a **** ton of water everyday, no less then 15 cups. I am doing everything right... so what am I doing wrong?

By the way, how long do you think you can keep this up? Weight loss is a long-term project, plus there is maintenance to think about. From reading this, I get the idea that you want this to go as fast as possible, but you're really stressing yourself.
  • Snikkee
    Options
    Thank you all for the ideas, and suggestions. the first one I would like to address is the statement made from someone saying they cannot see a 5'4 women eating 2000 calories a day and losing weight. for one, my personal trainer is 5'3, and 110 lbs, and eats 2100 calories a day or more. BECAUSE she burns so many calories in a day. SECOND my calculations are correct, I truly do burn upwards of 2800-3000 calories a day, NOT JOKING. also my BMR calculation is correct. I am OCD about my work outs, I love to work out and I will not be cutting out anything that I already do. I def cannot eat less with the amount of working out I do.
  • Snikkee
    Options
    OH the one thing I have not done is gone to the doctor for blood work, etc. I know I do not have any such thyroid condition. I have gained and lost weight before. 40 lbs here, 50 lbs there. I have yo-yoed for 6 years. I lost weight before by starving myself, and I refuse to eat the least amount of calories possible, it is not healthy.
  • Snikkee
    Options
    I plan on keeping this up for the rest of my life. I have no issues with working out, it is something I love to do. I can fit 3 hours in, any day, on any schedule. I dont plan on losing 5 lbs a week. 1-3 at the most. as I stated mathematically I should have lost at least 2 by now. I am not in this to lose the most, the fastest.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    ur cal intake is to high.

Must you keep posting this type of thing? You seem to have a basic misunderstanding of how weight loss works.