Birthday coming up... cake?

withchaco
withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
My birthday is coming up. What are some cakes or cake-like foods (any kind of a dessert, really) that 1) I can BUY, instead of having to make/bake myself, and 2) are not insanely high in calories?

I'm a huge advocate of "everything in moderation" most of the time, and I totally get the "this is a lifestyle change, learn to enjoy a day every now and then." But it never hurts to have a lower calorie option to consider.

Replies

• Snikkee
    Snikkee Posts: 295 Member
    angel food cake, by itself with no frosting has about 160 calories in 1/9 of a whole one.
  • PaulaPalooza
    PaulaPalooza Posts: 137 Member
    Eat healthy the surrounding days, keep working out... and eat the dang cake. Make whatever cake you want - or just buy it if you don't want to make it.

It is ok to have a slice of cake if you continue to eat healthy otherwise.

And Happy Birthday.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    oh angel food cake...
  • PaulaPalooza
    PaulaPalooza Posts: 137 Member
    .... would have helped if I read that through... heh. heh.

sorry. I'm just a big advocate of cake

Do angel food cake in a sided baking sheet. When it's done, place a clean towel on top of it and roll the cake. Then after it's cool- fill with icing/chocolate ganache.

but take out the towel first. and then reroll with the good stuff inside.
  • reallifealien
    reallifealien Posts: 128 Member
    you only get one birthday a year. EAT TILL U CANT MOVE
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,640 Member
    ooh yes angel food cake is yummy and with cool whip and strawberries :) also i know you don't want to make anything but here is a delish recipe for angel food cupcakes!

http://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipes/angel-lush-cupcakes-115431.aspx
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    You deserve to eat a regular piece of cake on your birthday! Happy Birthday to youuuuu!!!
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    You could always pick up some two-bite cupcakes. That way you can get the full cake and frosting experience but they're already portion controlled for you.

I think that Weight Watchers Smart Ones desserts may have some cake or cake-like items in their line up.

And if you are willing to do some super simple home baking you can always try the old diet soda cupcake trick.
    You need:
    One cake mix (I found that Betty Crocker worked best)
    One 12oz can of diet soda (match the flavor to the cake mix, e.g. cola to chocolate, lemon-lime to a white or lemon cake, cherry cola with chocolate, etc.)

Now, pour the cake mix into a bowl and then pour in the can of soda and add NOTHING else. Mix until combined and portion into lined cupcake pans. You should get about 22 with the size of mixes today.

Then top with a tablespoon of your favorite flavor of WHIPPED Betty Crocker canned frosting and you'll have a cupcake that is light and fluffy for around 100-110 calories (including the frosting).

You can also do the same thing with a cake mix and a can of pure pumpkin puree. I recommend the spice cake or yellow cake flavors for that one. And then the vanilla or cream cheese whipped frostings.

Happy Birthday!
  • Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 751 Member
    eat the cake Anna Mae!!
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Frost the angel food cake with raw coconut cocao butter. It's not low-cal, but it IS very healthy and tastes just like frosting.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Once a year. Have the kind of cake you want.
  • katy84o
    katy84o Posts: 744 Member
    Maybe go for cupcakes so that there's only enough for everyone to have 1. My bday is coming up.. I'm trying to decide if I even want cake... I don't know, I may try to go for a high protein cheese cake with some fruit
  • ElizaRoche
    ElizaRoche Posts: 2,005 Member
    Your bday is once a year.. why dont u just enjoy a real cake?... My bday was in september, and I had a slice of a delicious chocolate cake, i didnt even care about calories. I just decided to get back on track the next day.
  • withchaco
    Ohhh, I totally forgot about angel food! Thanks for reminding me!

To those who are saying my birthday is only once a year... I in fact have two birthdays, my real one and the one on my birth certificate (which is incorrect), haha! More importantly, I don't eat cake only on MY birthday. There are family and friend birthdays too. I can't control what kind of a cake will be served on someone else's birthday, but I can on MINE.
  • what kind of cake do YOU LIKE?
  • Keto_T
    Keto_T Posts: 673 Member
    I'm not very good with moderation. I eat all of whatever is there until it's gone or I'm too sick to eat anymore. I do much better with portions controlled for me. You can get one piece packages of cake in the bakery section of most stores. Carrot, Chocolate, cheesecake, etc.
  • withchaco
    what kind of cake do YOU LIKE?
    Mildly sweet ones, nothing overwhelmingly sweet, and no fruits in the middle (on top is okay).
  • drusilla126
    drusilla126 Posts: 478 Member
    For my birthday I got Blizzard cupcakes from Dairy Queen for my birthday. 6 perfectly portioned little treats that are heaven. Their site is messed up to find the calories for that particular item but I found them listed on here as 240 calories each.
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,296 Member
    angel food cake + cool whip + berries = delicious. If it were me, go all out. Enjoy your cake. It's your day.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    you only get one birthday a year. EAT TILL U CANT MOVE

This will be what I'm doing on my birthday or at least eat everything I really want to have and no calorie counting! Then back to it the next day.