Running a 5k without headphones?? WTF?????

Options

Replies

• robbienjill
    robbienjill Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Merv I guess your instructor really did make sense when he said "why did you join a group to be solo?" Never really thought about it like that!! Thx:wink:
  • EL704
    EL704 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've always run with music, it never occurred to me not to I guess as I am so used to needing to drown out traffic. I've currently got vestibular damage/ balance issues and very loud tinnitus which makes me nauseous - until I put music on, it doesn't have to be loud just enough to have a rhythm to take away from the constant high pitched squeal I hear 24/7 (it's like how you can hear electrical items sometimes until you unplug them).

I would not sign up to a race with a headphone ban as I normally run distances for charities and it helps me to breathe to the beat so i don't hyperventilate from the crowds, noise and distractions of people nattering away to each other (drives me crazy hearing Beryl and Betty discussing when they are next going on a cruise...)

I'm choosing to run for a charity on runs that are closed off to traffic and are clearly marked out - and I've paid to be there - so I really don't understand why they want to stop you from running in a way that is comfortable to you... if they say about not being able to hear, what do they do about deaf and hard of hearing runners?

To me, it's as ridiculous as imposing a ban on running trousers it's so strange. I'm not competing in the Olympics and so unless you are someone who is in the 'elite athletes group' I find it a very odd thing to impose - I'm fairly certain the elite athletes can run through any conditions either way!

I also find it weird they are banning it because something that is far more dangerous is what I see on the roads daily - people on bikes with no fluoro gear and big massive Beats headphones on!?

So will be reading the fine print on races in the future - I can't wear my headphones, I can't run so therefore that event loses my money and endorsement. Or I'll set up my own headphone only run - from what I read into the American running info on this is that they are worried they won't get insurance and will be sued by runners that run into traffic.... how ridiculous.....

In regards to people who don't get out of the way, I'm normally overtaking people without headphones (Beryl and Betty again) chatting so they have no idea I am trying to run past them.

I am still able to hear, so imposing a blanket ban is ridiculous, it should just be advised that you keep the music low to hear the announcements and traffic if there is any. If you are daft enough to have it louder or wander into traffic, it's your own fault. Besides, I'm fairly certain you sign some sort of waiver against injuries sustained during races, at least I have in the past, for being responsible for yourself.

Guess I will have to set up a headphones only charity race if they keep getting banned. It really does pass the time better when I have a good beat instead of panting and wheezing women who only run once a year.... ah the joys of running for good causes...

As for the 'keeping your pace etc' ban Garmins... it tells you too much info and I can't afford one... so ban them all... ;)

Like I said, I'm not trying to win anything - they should have separate categories 'elites' and 'running for me' - elites can have headphone bans and the rest of us can just do our own thing.... seems very unfair you can get disqualified for listening to music.

We should also ban laces... health and safety... those bad boys come undone and it's a tripping hazard.... also drinking.... there is a higher rate of aspiration from drinking water than more viscous liquids.... so we must not drink....

Also, we should have a weight and height requirement - if you're too short you'll get trampled, too tall and you'll trip over 'average sized people.... overweight people are more likely to have a heart attack, so we are not insured for that either.... and exceedingly skinny people may just keel over from exhaustion.... so they are banned too....

Wow I am getting good at this banning malarky.... hmmm... oh and ban anyone over 35 from wearing those god awful 'short-shorts' I do not need to see wrinkly man thighs or anything residing between them.... and fluorescent running gear.... causes migraines...

Now sunglasses... they should also be banned as they actually limit your vision.... you may not see the cars coming at you....

Considering I have not died on the road yet and have been running for many years with earphones in, can we get a bit of common sense back.... and would it kill you to tap someone on the shoulder to get them to move out the way? Really?

The more I think on this, the more crazy it all sounds...
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I wish all races would enforce the no headphones rule more often. If they are such a crutch that you need to run, then don't sign up for races if you can't run without them. If your thing is plugging in the music and going for a nice run, have at it. But I think its pretty sad that such fuss is made when you aren't allowed to wear them for a race.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    Well that sucks! I'm not a runner but I like to bike. I use wireless headset. My music went dead on me one time, I thought I was gonna die trying to keep cadence at a normal pace. So yea, music does indeed help kick up it up a notch.

Have fun running with no music! :ohwell:
  • wheezeybouncer
    wheezeybouncer Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I've tried running without my music. I don't like it so much. I get to a certain point and if I don't have music to distract me I hit a wall and end up stopping. I could do with an MP3 play with volume control though! I've been using my swimming one which is one volume only!
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    that crazytalk. I could not do it. I would not do it!
  • slw5X5
    slw5X5 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I ran my first 5K earlier this spring and I trained with headphones. On the day of the race, I was so preoccupied that I forgot them and didn't even realize it til it was too late. I was really bummed out but once the race started, I had so much fun running with different terrain, scenery, tons of people around, I didn't even care about the music at that point. I found that I naturally found my own pace without the music and I even got a better time.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I prefer to run with music, but it's no big deal to run without. Try it a few times before the race.

And really, if you cant find the motivation from within, to run for just 5k, for a race, maybe you don't really like running all that much.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    I wish all races would enforce the no headphones rule more often. If they are such a crutch that you need to run, then don't sign up for races if you can't run without them. If your thing is plugging in the music and going for a nice run, have at it. But I think its pretty sad that such fuss is made when you aren't allowed to wear them for a race.

this. for anyone whos ever run in races you know that you definitely need to hear what's going on around you so you dont crash into other people. plus i've run some really poorly put together courses where you needed to pay attention to verbal cues the race volunteers were shouting.

i train with music but during races i dont listen andi dont really need to.i find that my pace is faster during races anyway, so it's not like i need to be reminded to not slow down
  • Papa_Grande
    Papa_Grande Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    LOL!! Our Society is doomed. :ohwell:
  • TutuMom41
    TutuMom41 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I have run over 100 5k's and never used headphones. Its my thinking time :D
  • EL704
    EL704 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I just think some of the anti-headphone runners need to look at it the other way round,

If you were looking forward to a race you signed up to and paid up and you get to the start line and they say,

"Ok everyone, headphones on, you all get these lovely noise cancelling earphones... don't wear them and you're disqualfied... enjoy!"

You would have an issue with it, being forced to do something that goes against your comfort and training and what you find you love about running. The races that ban it should have on their main page a logo for "We are a headphone-free race" so you can choose to not to sign up, not written in tiny print you only see after you've signed up.
  • pythonsweb
    pythonsweb Posts: 49 Member
    Options

Listening to music I enjoy seems to give me energy. I crank the volume and don't hear anything around me. I find myself almost singing the song in my head and pushing forward. And here's where it get's weird. Obviously there's a pause between songs. During that short pause, all of a sudden I can hear myself breathing heavy. I can also hear my feet hitting the ground. All of a sudden that seems to break my concentration or remind me that I am running and it sucks! lol.

I hate the pause! I feel the exact same way LOL kind of brings you back to reality :D
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I think it's kind of a silly rule. As long as it isn't interfering with other runners I dont see a problem.

That being said, 95% of the time I forget my mp3 player in my car so I run without music. It's not terrible once you get into the rhythm of feet and panting. Kind of gives you a chance to be "alone" with your thoughts.
  • carliekitty
    carliekitty Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I can run w or w/o headphones. I keep my music low so i can hear, birds, myself, and any danger that might come my way. There's a lot of bikes here and doggys so you never know. I can see how you would be bored w/o your music especially any run over an hr but you will be fine. I also heard other runners shot things that you might want to hear.
  • jamebb
    jamebb Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I don't remember the details, but there was a study I heard about a while back about running/exercising with music. I believe it said that amateur athletes did see increased performance when listening to music during exercise, but it didn't make a difference for elite athletes.

I would start training without them... learn to listen to your body as you run... or if you really need a distraction, memorize an epic poem and recite it to yourself as you go.:wink:
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I think it's kind of a silly rule. As long as it isn't interfering with other runners I dont see a problem.

That being said, 95% of the time I forget my mp3 player in my car so I run without music. It's not terrible once you get into the rhythm of feet and panting. Kind of gives you a chance to be "alone" with your thoughts.

Unfortunately it does sometimes interfere with other runners. While most peiple are pretty good about volume, others are not aware of their surroundings.
    I volunteer for an organizing committee and we have dealt with a number of issues related to headphones including people going off course because they are unable to hear directions from course marshals. In last race, I am aware of an issue with people having a hard time passing people on a narrow part of the route because they were unable to hear the runner behind them. I've experienced similar incidents as a runner in a race.

I do agree it can be an advantage to the competitive runners although that won't apply to most anyway. But there are still other issues.

I also prefer to run with music and recognize not everyone is a jerk. Just pointing out the other side of the coin.
    It is not a big deal to me if headphones are not allowed. A number of events I do don't allow them. I simply leave them a home.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I couldn't imagine running a race of any type where I need to be laser focused on what's going around me with the distraction of music.

I couldn't imagine training for a race in a manner different from how I plan to run the race.

Music on a training run is a great way to get a cadillac up the colon. Not my kind of party.
  • LunaStar2008
    LunaStar2008 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    ...this threat is quite amusing and interesting:happy: ;
    I run both - with and without headphones. I can understand race organizer and the need for safety, even the participants are signing a waiver for injuries. Most race courses are cut off traffic for the duration of the race, but if you need longer then the allotted time, then you may end up with some traffic.

From my own experiences; certain songs and beats help me through a tough spot or hill, while I focus on the beat and my rhythm. So, I understand the argument of an advantage/coaching/pacing tool.

But if it is allowed to everyone, then it is equal to all to use it or not to. It is your personal choice. By banning it the choice is taken away.
    Some races don't allow running strollers or have them start in the back as last for safety reasons. I ran numerous races with a running stroller. Annoying was just that we had to start in the back.....now you are circling around the slower runners, who sometimes inconsidered. Instead of having the stroller runners start on the left or right side and have a rule to just pass on that side. That would increase some of the safety issues. I ended up having a bike bell on my stroller and made lots of use of it...:laugh: :explode: :indifferent: :embarassed:

When we exercise at work, headphone are not allowed as well, but we have to yell to cadence (which always messes up my breathing pattern, even it is designed to establish a breathing patter). :frown: :indifferent:

Running long distant races can be sometimes lonely.....at the Athen's historical classic marathon (Greece) were stretches with no spectators, while in the villages were a lot.....so music may help to stay motivated (it surely helped me through the race).

Also, if hearing your surroundings would be an argument, then don't crank up the music that loud. My music is so low I can carry a conversation while listening. As someone else mentioned, I am more productive with nice background music. While at work or writing on term papers I listen to an online radio station (I got often told that I listen to "elevator music" :laugh: ).

Bottom line; it should be personal preference, but if I have to, I could run without it.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    ...this threat is quite amusing and interesting:happy: ;
    I run both - with and without headphones. I can understand race organizer and the need for safety, even the participants are signing a waiver for injuries. Most race courses are cut off traffic for the duration of the race, but if you need longer then the allotted time, then you may end up with some traffic.

From my own experiences; certain songs and beats help me through a tough spot or hill, while I focus on the beat and my rhythm. So, I understand the argument of an advantage/coaching/pacing tool.

But if it is allowed to everyone, then it is equal to all to use it or not to. It is your personal choice. By banning it the choice is taken away.
    Some races don't allow running strollers or have them start in the back as last for safety reasons. I ran numerous races with a running stroller. Annoying was just that we had to start in the back.....now you are circling around the slower runners, who sometimes inconsidered. Instead of having the stroller runners start on the left or right side and have a rule to just pass on that side. That would increase some of the safety issues. I ended up having a bike bell on my stroller and made lots of use of it...:laugh: :explode: :indifferent: :embarassed:

When we exercise at work, headphone are not allowed as well, but we have to yell to cadence (which always messes up my breathing pattern, even it is designed to establish a breathing patter). :frown: :indifferent:

Running long distant races can be sometimes lonely.....at the Athen's historical classic marathon (Greece) were stretches with no spectators, while in the villages were a lot.....so music may help to stay motivated (it surely helped me through the race).

Also, if hearing your surroundings would be an argument, then don't crank up the music that loud. My music is so low I can carry a conversation while listening. As someone else mentioned, I am more productive with nice background music. While at work or writing on term papers I listen to an online radio station (I got often told that I listen to "elevator music" :laugh: ).

Bottom line; it should be personal preference, but if I have to, I could run without it.

Most races around here are not closed courses.

The waivers runners signed are pretty much not worth the paper they are written on. They do not absolve the organizers of liability. I volunteer. I'm not ok with losing everything over a lawsuit regarding headphones.