Running a 5k without headphones?? WTF?????

Options

Replies

• Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I've been running for over ten years, have done 2 full marathons, 22 half marathons and I don't know how many shorter distance ones. I've never once run with music.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    ...this threat is quite amusing and interesting:happy: ;

Are you ok? It's never right for someone to threaten you.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    I've always run with music, it never occurred to me not to I guess as I am so used to needing to drown out traffic. I've currently got vestibular damage/ balance issues and very loud tinnitus which makes me nauseous - until I put music on, it doesn't have to be loud just enough to have a rhythm to take away from the constant high pitched squeal I hear 24/7 (it's like how you can hear electrical items sometimes until you unplug them).

I would not sign up to a race with a headphone ban as I normally run distances for charities and it helps me to breathe to the beat so i don't hyperventilate from the crowds, noise and distractions of people nattering away to each other (drives me crazy hearing Beryl and Betty discussing when they are next going on a cruise...)

I'm choosing to run for a charity on runs that are closed off to traffic and are clearly marked out - and I've paid to be there - so I really don't understand why they want to stop you from running in a way that is comfortable to you... if they say about not being able to hear, what do they do about deaf and hard of hearing runners?

To me, it's as ridiculous as imposing a ban on running trousers it's so strange. I'm not competing in the Olympics and so unless you are someone who is in the 'elite athletes group' I find it a very odd thing to impose - I'm fairly certain the elite athletes can run through any conditions either way!

I also find it weird they are banning it because something that is far more dangerous is what I see on the roads daily - people on bikes with no fluoro gear and big massive Beats headphones on!?

So will be reading the fine print on races in the future - I can't wear my headphones, I can't run so therefore that event loses my money and endorsement. Or I'll set up my own headphone only run - from what I read into the American running info on this is that they are worried they won't get insurance and will be sued by runners that run into traffic.... how ridiculous.....

In regards to people who don't get out of the way, I'm normally overtaking people without headphones (Beryl and Betty again) chatting so they have no idea I am trying to run past them.

I am still able to hear, so imposing a blanket ban is ridiculous, it should just be advised that you keep the music low to hear the announcements and traffic if there is any. If you are daft enough to have it louder or wander into traffic, it's your own fault. Besides, I'm fairly certain you sign some sort of waiver against injuries sustained during races, at least I have in the past, for being responsible for yourself.

Guess I will have to set up a headphones only charity race if they keep getting banned. It really does pass the time better when I have a good beat instead of panting and wheezing women who only run once a year.... ah the joys of running for good causes...

As for the 'keeping your pace etc' ban Garmins... it tells you too much info and I can't afford one... so ban them all... ;)

Like I said, I'm not trying to win anything - they should have separate categories 'elites' and 'running for me' - elites can have headphone bans and the rest of us can just do our own thing.... seems very unfair you can get disqualified for listening to music.

We should also ban laces... health and safety... those bad boys come undone and it's a tripping hazard.... also drinking.... there is a higher rate of aspiration from drinking water than more viscous liquids.... so we must not drink....

Also, we should have a weight and height requirement - if you're too short you'll get trampled, too tall and you'll trip over 'average sized people.... overweight people are more likely to have a heart attack, so we are not insured for that either.... and exceedingly skinny people may just keel over from exhaustion.... so they are banned too....

Wow I am getting good at this banning malarky.... hmmm... oh and ban anyone over 35 from wearing those god awful 'short-shorts' I do not need to see wrinkly man thighs or anything residing between them.... and fluorescent running gear.... causes migraines...

Now sunglasses... they should also be banned as they actually limit your vision.... you may not see the cars coming at you....

Considering I have not died on the road yet and have been running for many years with earphones in, can we get a bit of common sense back.... and would it kill you to tap someone on the shoulder to get them to move out the way? Really?

The more I think on this, the more crazy it all sounds...

TL;DR Is there a reason you posted to the OP's thread which is 4 1/2 years old? Do you run? Have you ever gone to a race and they banned earbuds?
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I cannot imagine headphones giving anyone a competitive edge. The runners at the front of the race wouldn't want headphones even if they were allowed them; they need to concentrate. It's a safety thing - you need to hear directions from marshals, people trying to overtake, ambulances etc. And it's much easier for organisers to ban them and DQ people who break the rule than it is for them to work out which of the headphone-wearers happen to have their music too loud or to be oblivious to their surroundings.

I run on my own with music, and have it on low enough to hear traffic etc. I wouldn't want it in a race though I'm sure I could manage to hear what was going on around me. But it only takes one idiot to stop the ambulance getting through. If you want to race with music, enter a different race that allows it.
  • alison2429
    alison2429 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    And here's where it get's weird. Obviously there's a pause between songs. During that short pause, all of a sudden I can hear myself breathing heavy. I can also hear my feet hitting the ground. All of a sudden that seems to break my concentration or remind me that I am running and it sucks! lol.

I totally agree with this - who wants to hear themselves breathing like a steam train? Oh that's just me then! But I love the motivation the music provides.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Oh ... the horrors of not being allowed to run with headphones. What a pampered society we've truly become.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Challenge yourself!
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    I think the OP figured it out; about February 2010. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I just think some of the anti-headphone runners need to look at it the other way round,

If you were looking forward to a race you signed up to and paid up and you get to the start line and they say,

"Ok everyone, headphones on, you all get these lovely noise cancelling earphones... don't wear them and you're disqualfied... enjoy!"

You would have an issue with it, being forced to do something that goes against your comfort and training and what you find you love about running. The races that ban it should have on their main page a logo for "We are a headphone-free race" so you can choose to not to sign up, not written in tiny print you only see after you've signed up.

LMAO really?

If you don't read all the fine print before signing up for something, it's on you.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    I just think some of the anti-headphone runners need to look at it the other way round,

If you were looking forward to a race you signed up to and paid up and you get to the start line and they say,

"Ok everyone, headphones on, you all get these lovely noise cancelling earphones... don't wear them and you're disqualfied... enjoy!"

You would have an issue with it, being forced to do something that goes against your comfort and training and what you find you love about running. The races that ban it should have on their main page a logo for "We are a headphone-free race" so you can choose to not to sign up, not written in tiny print you only see after you've signed up.

every race i've entered the no headphones rule is clearly stated when you sign up for the race. people just dont read the rules that they agree to, which is pretty much their problem. oh and in recent years it's not even like it's fine print either, i see more and more races where this is placed in bold letters on the website yet still there are people who act shocked when they get to the start line and learn they cant use their headphones. i've also seen people cause collisions because they were wearing headphones didnt hear the "on your left or on your right" coming from another runner
  • dbmata
    Options

LMAO really?

If you don't read all the fine print before signing up for something, it's on you.

Unpossible! And where's my "showing up" medal?!
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options
    I am going to be running a marathon in Oct with no headphones. I am going to train with them but my thought is that the day of the race you are going to be so ready to run, motivated by the people around you, the crowd, and the adrinaline rush.

just a bit of advice...do some of your training without them...long runs especially...just to ensure youll be mentally prepared to not have the music as a distraction..

sheesh never mind...just realized i responded to a post that is 4 years old...

but hey if anyone else can use the advice...have at it
  • dbmata
    Options
    I just got in from a 5km run, only thing that kept me from getting hit by a dipstick in a BMW 3 series is the fact that I heard her go from the light and turn into me, I was able to just barely angle out of the way.

Then she flipped me off and kept driving.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    So I plan to run my fist 5K in Myrtle Beach in February and seen that they have a "no headphone policy." Then I read online that there was now a rule in place for marathons etc: USA Track & Field, the national governing body for running, this year banned the use of headphones and portable audio players like iPods at its official races. The new rule was created to ensure safety and to prevent runners from having a competitive edge. How am I suppose to run and stay motivated after using this device to train with to begin with?? How do other runners feel about this rule?? And how do you expect to train in the future??

I plan to eventually work my way up to a 10k and so forth, but mannnn I NEED music!!
    You think you need music until you really start to run without it!
    I used ot end runs early if my MP3 player battery ran out. Now I love running without music and just listening to the sounds of what is around me.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    When I started running, we didn't have any of this new-fangled musicy stuff.

If we wanted to listen to something while running, we had to stick a couple of bugs in our ears and listen to the buzzing.

AND WE LIKED IT!!
  • runner359
    runner359 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    OP folks are getting awfully worked up about their opinion on the headphones thing. At race day its highly unlikely anyone will say anything either way. Run and let run.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    OP folks are getting awfully worked up about their opinion on the headphones thing. At race day its highly unlikely anyone will say anything either way. Run and let run.

OP posted this about 4 years ago so I'm guessing the run is over.
  • runner359
    runner359 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Ha that's funny. Totally did not see that.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Ha that's funny. Totally did not see that.

It's ok. Most of us didn't.
  • garveyk659
    Options
    I can run without headphones outside without a problem. However, I cannot run longer than 10 seconds on a treadmill without listening to music. I think it is because I am not too keen on not being aware of my surroundings when I run outside.