So, can anyone recommend good facial cleanser?

Options
Kaydoggie
Kaydoggie Posts: 98 Member
I have tried everything on my face, but the acne on my chin is being horribly stubborn, and it's so embarassing. I'm 33 years old, and am about to get ready to try ProActiv as a last resort....thoughts? Anyone?

Replies

• toomuchbootyindapants
    Options
    I've struggled with acne ever since I was 19 - after having my daughter. As a teenager (pre-kids) I had gorgeous skin. Then my hormones went all whackadoodle on me. So now I'm 32 and I still deal with it along my jawline, mainly, and chin. I've seen several derms and docs and they all say the same thing - it's hormonal. There is nothing you can wash your face with or apply to make it positively stop. ProActiv didn't work for me. Hell, Accutane - several rounds- didn't work for me (it did temporarily but after I stopped, a few months later it came back - though not the cystic kind, thankfully). Sooo, all that to say - it's likely a hormonal issue. I take spironolactone now to help with mine, but it's not 100% effective either. :( Fkn hormones.
  • Kaydoggie
    Kaydoggie Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    It started pretty much the second I went off birth control after getting my tubes tied, so thats logical. I should go back on it just for that reason alone. Ugh. I feel so gross, I don't want to look in the mirror!
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    Same for me as what Dizzle said...I was on Accutane from 15 to 19...it screwed me up...I stopped and have tried every over the counter product out there. Acne is generally a hormonal issue, so if you really want to attack it, see a dermatologist and get their opinion. Im currently on Spironolactone and for the most part, my skin stays clear. I'm also on birth control but it really doesn't make much of a difference for me personally. It acts up during TOM, or when I'm stressed of course...I also notice that for me, my skin looks best when I'm eating a well balanced diet and not a huge amount of dairy.

As far as cleaning my skin, I keep it simple..color free, fragrance free...I use the Purpose products, as recommended by my dermatologist. Affordable stuff available at Walmart, CVS, etc.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Same for me as what Dizzle said...I was on Accutane from 15 to 19...it screwed me up...I stopped and have tried every over the counter product out there. Acne is generally a hormonal issue, so if you really want to attack it, see a dermatologist and get their opinion. Im currently on Spironolactone and for the most part, my skin stays clear. I'm also on birth control but it really doesn't make much of a difference for me personally. It acts up during TOM, or when I'm stressed of course...I also notice that for me, my skin looks best when I'm eating a well balanced diet and not a huge amount of dairy.

As far as cleaning my skin, I keep it simple..color free, fragrance free...I use the Purpose products, as recommended by my dermatologist. Affordable stuff available at Walmart, CVS, etc.

In this country, you can just go to see your doctor and they can give you stuff. Few people do though.

I only get spots due to stress or lack of sleep (which is caused by stress).
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options

In this country, you can just go to see your doctor and they can give you stuff. Few people do though.

I only get spots due to stress or lack of sleep (which is caused by stress).

Oh you can def get most of the meds with your PC....but I've had better results and explanations since seeing someone who specializes in skin.
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I use Clear Pore Cleanser/Mask from Neutrogena.It has benzoyl peroxide as a main ingredient. My Dr. prescribed just benzoyl peroxide for me, and then I discovered this. Works awesomely, but the problem is a few days after you stop, up comes the acne again. :explode:
  • Jain
    Jain Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    I had terrible skin from my early teens right up to my 40's when I started using Eve Lom cleanser. It sounds counter intuative to cleans very oily skin with oil, but it works. Breakouts stopped within a couple of months and now I only get the very odd zit at TOM.
    I've since switched to Liz Earle Hot Cloth Cleanser, thanks to getting some as a gift, and it works just as well but costs a lot less!
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain, I am going through that too, my Dr. said acne on the chin is usually hormonal, so if you went off pill , could be they are out of order possibly, Ishe prescribed me some antibiotics, and some cream,seem to help alot. As for a cleaner , I am too still on the search for a good one , cetaphil is pretty good.
  • Countryboy_
    Options
    Lye soap works well. Just don't get it in your eyes.
  • rachietuk
    rachietuk Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I just started using Arbonne products, I love them. I am a little bit of a face product *kitten* and really spend time researching these products. This range is a little pricy, but well worth the money.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Only stuff that works for me is the Oil of Olay ProX for acne. So good!
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    My friend just started his own business creating home-grown beauty supplies. I bought some rosemary astringent (toner) and I don't know if it has reduced acne (I don't have a whole lot to begin with) but it has made my face feel good and it smells incredible. :)

I'll msg it to you since I don't think the rules allow me to post it here. :)
  • CincinnatiDEIFan
    CincinnatiDEIFan Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I have had more luck with the following than anything a dermotologist ever tried.

300.jpg
  • seanorawe
    seanorawe Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I've heard sperm is really good for this
  • smtillman2
    smtillman2 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I use Mary Kay 3in1
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I've been using this lately and really like it (plus the scrublet seems to help): http://www.amazon.com/LOreal-Paris-Exfoliating-Natural-Apricot/dp/B002PBCAEQ

I tend to change up my brands every few months because my skin will get used to them so I also use this: http://www.clinique.com/product/1572/8279/3_step/Step_1_Cleanse/Liquid-Facial-Soap/index.tmpl (and they usually carry travel sizes at the stores)

I considered Proactiv once but it seemed pretty harsh so I used this instead: http://www.acjuva.com/ I like that it's all natural and it never felt crazy harsh on my sensitive skin. The only reason I stopped is because I have to remember to order it and I never do so I end up picking up the Clinique or L'Oreal at the store.
  • KC4800
    KC4800 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Cetaphil
  • toomuchbootyindapants
    Options
    I've heard sperm is really good for this

Not true, been there done that. bwahahahah
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Mary Kay? I had horrible adult acne years ago, and I started using their formula for oily skin. It took a couple of weeks to clear everything out, but I have had so much better skin since then (a few years ago I was broke and tried using something from the drugstore, and starting breaking out again). They have a couple of different options now - botanicals, anti-aging, etc.
    You find a consultant at www.marykay.com