Consequenses of consistently overconsuming fat

Options
13»

Replies

• job187
    job187 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    No one has mentioned it yet, but have you considered the possibility of a ridiculously large tapeworm living inside you? Or perhaps some medical condition that prevents absorption of calories? Or that you're actually an alien?

My steady, natural wieght before starting to hit the gym was 60 kilos for the longest time. And if I don't forcefeed myself daily I tend to drift down towards that number per default.I guess 3500 tdee is above average but from my experience on the internetz there are alot of ppl like me who find gaining weight way harder than loosing.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    And also if I had your TDEE I would get Pop Tarts to officially sponsor me.

:drinker:
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Allright, guess I can stop feeling bad about not always hitting my macros :)

MoreBean13: I've estimated my TDEE by doing a Ordinary Least Squares regression on weekly bodyweightchange and average weekly kcal intake with 17 observations. I think this model will become less and less acurate as I gain weight since adding lean muscle tissue and fat will also increase my metabolism as i understand it.

The actual metabolism change isn't all that impressive. It's like somewhere in the 6-9 cals/lb/day range depending on what research you look at. HOWEVER, heavy strength training will give you a boost, it's the actual act of repair that uses the calories, rather than the additional burn from the muscle. The harder you tear it up, the more calories you'll use repairing it afterwards.
  • Andrewsvan
    Andrewsvan Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Eating fat doesn't make you fat. Eating too many carbs makes you fat.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Eating fat doesn't make you fat. Eating too many carbs makes you fat.

Excess calories make you fat regardless of the substrate.
  • job187
    Options

MoreBean13: I've estimated my TDEE by doing a Ordinary Least Squares regression on weekly bodyweightchange and average weekly kcal intake with 17 observations. I think this model will become less and less acurate as I gain weight since adding lean muscle tissue and fat will also increase my metabolism as i understand it.

The actual metabolism change isn't all that impressive. It's like somewhere in the 6-9 cals/lb/day range depending on what research you look at. HOWEVER, heavy strength training will give you a boost, it's the actual act of repair that uses the calories, rather than the additional burn from the muscle. The harder you tear it up, the more calories you'll use repairing it afterwards.

Aha, so maintaining an added amount of muscle isn't very energy intensive but repairing that added amount will have a greater effect on metabolism. Didn't know about that distinction, but on the other hand I have no plans to stop working out anytime soon so :P Would you happen to know how to factor in this cumulative factor into a multivariate regression by any chance?
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

Aha, so maintaining an added amount of muscle isn't very energy intensive but repairing that added amount will have a greater effect on metabolism. Didn't know about that distinction, but on the other hand I have no plans to stop working out anytime soon so :P Would you happen to know how to factor in this cumulative factor into a multivariate regression by any chance?
    I wish I could be all smart and give you an answer, but I can't. No idea. I would love to see your spreadsheet though.
  • SideSteel
    Options

The practical application (even though you probably want to maintain your data) would be to just monitor gains every 2 weeks and increase calories by a bit when you stall out. I would shoot for somewhere in the 2-3lb/month goal and adjust intake to land you in that slot.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    Just curious as to why you're using multivariate regression analysis when it's only for yourself? :)
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Just curious as to why you're using multivariate regression analysis when it's only for yourself? :)

OP eats other people. Gotta hit dem macros!
  • job187
    Options
    Sidesteel: It took me a good while before I figured out that 3600 was just above my tdee. It's crazy how hard it is to distinguish the trend with all the fluctuations, even on a weekly basis. Last week i actually lost 200 grams but I think that is well within the standard deviation so I'll take you up on your advice and wait for a consecutive week of weightloss before i up my calorieintake.

Morebean: For the number crunching I'm using SPSS Statistics. I'll provide a picture of the actual model below. As you can see it holds at a 90% significance level which would meet academic standards in many fields.

http://i45.tinypic.com/xqak5z.png

I'll also show a scatter diagram with the regression outlined and with 90% confidence intervals for the mean. That way I can identify a kcal intake which will result in a weightgain on average with 90% certainty.

http://i50.tinypic.com/2dvn3vn.jpg

For some odd reason the latest data addition made the scatterdiagram different from the model. But the principle is the same.

etolis: I got too much free time lol

edit: can't link images :(
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Sidesteel: It took me a good while before I figured out that 3600 was just above my tdee.

Of course there's a lot of variance and you need to decide if you'd rather err on the side of "might not gain as much muscle" or the side of "fat assitude". Obviously your call which end of the spectrum you err on. I'm only suggesting the increase now because of your average gain over 17 weeks being consistently under what I'd consider average.

That being said though, given intelligent training (I assume your lifts are going up) you're probably minimizing fat gain by keeping the pace down.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    etolis: I got too much free time lol

lol yeah you do! too small a sample! Good luck to you. :flowerforyou:
  • job187
    Options
    Sidesteel: It took me a good while before I figured out that 3600 was just above my tdee.

Of course there's a lot of variance and you need to decide if you'd rather err on the side of "might not gain as much muscle" or the side of "fat assitude". Obviously your call which end of the spectrum you err on. I'm only suggesting the increase now because of your average gain over 17 weeks being consistently under what I'd consider average.

That being said though, given intelligent training (I assume your lifts are going up) you're probably minimizing fat gain by keeping the pace down.

I'm basing my rate of weight increase on studies suggesting you can expect to add 12 pounds of lean muscle tissue per year IF you are untrained and genetically blessed. After that diminishing returns will kick in and the expected muscletissue you can pack on each year becomes less and less. But I guess you allready know this :)

I have been lifting for close to three years, one and a half of which I've been lifting in a more serious manner. I've allready gained 45 pounds of bodyweight (granted some of this is fat, but still) since I stared. So I would be happy if I can pack on 8 pounds a year of lean tissue. this translate to 0,66 pounds a month, 0,154 pounds or 70 grams a week. A 150 gram weekly increase in bodyweight is well above that level. That's my reasoning.
  • SideSteel
    Options

I'm basing my rate of weight increase on studies suggesting you can expect to add 12 pounds of lean muscle tissue per year IF you are untrained and genetically blessed. After that diminishing returns will kick in and the expected muscletissue you can pack on each year becomes less and less. But I guess you allready know this :)

I have been lifting for close to three years, one and a half of which I've been lifting in a more serious manner. I've allready gained 45 pounds of bodyweight (granted some of this is fat, but still) since I stared. So I would be happy if I can pack on 8 pounds a year of lean tissue. this translate to 0,66 pounds a month, 0,154 pounds or 70 grams a week. A 150 gram weekly increase in bodyweight is well above that level. That's my reasoning.

I see. Your logic makes sense if your assumption about maximal gain is correct. I was basing it off of the assumption that you can gain more LBM in a year.