Would you chip your kids?

Options

Replies

• OspreyVista
    OspreyVista Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    In my county, the Sherriff's office has a program to provide ankle bracelets for special needs kids upon request; very popular program.

This is a great idea, for any child actually. :)
  • nturner612
    nturner612 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    ummm hard one. i think i would do like a similiar cali law. u get 3 strikes and on the third u get a chip.
  • zachatta
    zachatta Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    You being serious OP?

Yeah I can't see how emphasizing installing chips into our children could backfire horribly.

Good night sweet individual rights.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    No, while it might come in handy in the extreme circumstance, there are too many possibilities of others getting access and of carcinogens, etc.
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I'm not a parent but I see enough little ones on leashes out in public that I think this idea isn't too far-fetched.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I've got a special needs kit that, at one time, was a runner. I'd chip him.
  • d_Mode
    d_Mode Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't...
  • melsmith612
    melsmith612 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I don't even have my dog chipped. Treat people (and animals) well and they're likely to come back and/or listen to you. That's my philosophy. In the case of teenagers? Find a cell phone for them with GPS in it, they'll never let it leave their pocket anyway.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I have Find My Phone on my son's iPhone, and there's a GPS tracking chip in his car that texts me if he's speeding or if he goes somewhere at that he's not supposed to. It also shows me a map where he is at any given time. I wouldn't embed one in his body though.
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    No.

yes

I'd use a shock collar if it was legal. not really...but pretty funny mental imagery.

I went to a lunch today where I was the client and the partner on the engagement joked about using a shock collar on his audit counterpart. I laughed. My manager looked horrified.

As for chipping kids...probably not (though I don't have kids yet). I'd rather just give them a cellphone that I'm sure will by that time be practically mandatory for preschoolers and track that. Judging by kids these days, it'd be almost equally effective.
  • RunningDirty
    Options
    As difficult as it is because I share the same worries as all parents out there, I'd have to check myself and say no way. But I secretly want to because people are gross and crazy.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I have Find My Phone on my son's iPhone, and there's a GPS tracking chip in his car that texts me if he's speeding or if he goes somewhere at that he's not supposed to. It also shows me a map where he is at any given time. I wouldn't embed one in his body though.

Chip in the car...I will totally do that when my younger boy drives. Not going to tell him either.
  • Jessi_Brooks
    Jessi_Brooks Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    You being serious OP?

Yeah I can't see how emphasizing installing chips into our children could backfire horribly.

Good night sweet individual rights.

Agreed.
  • _JR_
    _JR_ Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    Dog "chips" are passive devices. You can't track your dog with them. You can only scan the dog to obtain the data from the chip. A true trackable chip requires a power source, such as in your cell phone. I don't believe they make a device that can be implanted that doesn't require a rechargeable energy source. So for now, I don't see it as a realistic concept.

If the CIA & FBI can legally tap into your Skype conversations, I don't see how you or your child's (or later in life as an adult) movements can't be tracked for the gubment's own needs. Slippery slope indeed.
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I don't even have my dog chipped. Treat people (and animals) well and they're likely to come back and/or listen to you. That's my philosophy. In the case of teenagers? Find a cell phone for them with GPS in it, they'll never let it leave their pocket anyway.

I have my dog chipped because he can't talk. If he's lost (especially away from home) and loses his tags, I want him to be able to find his way back if some nice person brings him to a vet/shelter to get scanned. Granted this is unlikely since he feels the need to be so close to me that I swear he's trying to create enough static cling to permanently adhere to my legs.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Absolutely not.
  • fernandesg
    fernandesg Posts: 54 Member
    Options

yes

I'd use a shock collar if it was legal. not really...but pretty funny mental imagery.

For in case of abduction, absolutely! But just for general "where are you", absolutely not.

I love the shock collar imagery......:laugh:
  • melsmith612
    melsmith612 Posts: 727 Member
    Options

I have my dog chipped because he can't talk. If he's lost (especially away from home) and loses his tags, I want him to be able to find his way back if some nice person brings him to a vet/shelter to get scanned. Granted this is unlikely since he feels the need to be so close to me that I swear he's trying to create enough static cling to permanently adhere to my legs.

My problem with the microchips is that not all chips are read by the same type of scanner and not all vets/shelters have every kind of scanner available so you could have a chip and the dog be found by someone and brought to a vet and they could scan them and come up with nothing if the scanner isn't configured for that particular kind of chip. :sad:

My dog is also quite clingy... I swear he would surgically attach himself to my hip if he could.
  • Ruthe8
    Ruthe8 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I'm not a parent but I see enough little ones on leashes out in public that I think this idea isn't too far-fetched.
    Seriously? Leashes are for immediate safety. Don't be ridiculous.
  • Genem30
    Genem30 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I would chip myself, I'm always getting lost.