thighs are getting bulky.Advice pls?

Options
1235»

Replies

• ericalyn73
    Options
    I completely agree w/ your trainer's take. As a former competitive bodybuilder, I know exactly what he is talking about. It is never the muscle that creates the look of bulk. It's the fat surrounding the muscle. Lose that fat and you will see muscle.
  • kiachu
    kiachu Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I have found just walking, doing cycling(including hills or high resistance/interval) and elliptical(interval) has left my thighs rock solid, with no need to do weights. I was warned off weight machines and weights if I wish to keep my thighs smaller by a personal trainer actually. I just focussing on my upper body for the weight work as the cardio seems to do just fine in terms of my legs.
    I can't imagine a personal trainer instructing clients to neglect one portion of the body in such a manner that would intentionally lead to muscular imbalance and asymmetry.

This is what I am doing. I want my arms and shoulders to get bigger for symmetry. Just walking around for the last 20 years has kept my legs strong while my arms are weak and flabby. Personally, I am a pear/spoon shape, so even if I get down to a low body fat percent, I would still have huge legs and tiny shoulders.

Have you gotten lean enough to determine that? Usually the fruit shapes are determined by how one distributes bodyfat. I am a pear shape when I sit at a high bodyfat. Big butt thighs and hips, calves, and small boobs, When I lean down I'm actually quite balanced on the top and bottom. And a good trainer wouldn't tell you to neglect a body part over another unless you were lean enough for them to truly visualize that there was an imbalance. I know this happens in people that play sports that favor one muscle group over the other (my husband has a huge right forearm compared to his left because of tennis). Maybe people that are obese have this issue but I would still not want to have huge delts and arms and traps and then smaller legs if I didn't know what size my legs truly were without the fat on them.

I think anyway people should work on compound(full body) movements on their weight loss journey.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Just a thought....I went to an exercise class that did a great thigh workout. You sit with legs bent and feet are touching. You put weights on your inner thighs and lift up and down. I did 20 pound weights but you can start with a 5 and a 10 pound and work your way up. You just sit and lift it worked well. The trainer said it was the only way to lose the weight in the thigh area. I did see results. Thanks for reminding me I need to start doing this again. Hope this helps.

Correction~ another way to tone and lose weight in the thigh area.

Correction... it won't tone or make you lose weight in the thigh area.. a basic calorie deficit will do that. These exercise will just strengthen the muscles. You can't spot reduce..

Correction, while you may not lose fat, you can certainly tone the area. Spot reduction is different from strength training.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I have found just walking, doing cycling(including hills or high resistance/interval) and elliptical(interval) has left my thighs rock solid, with no need to do weights. I was warned off weight machines and weights if I wish to keep my thighs smaller by a personal trainer actually. I just focussing on my upper body for the weight work as the cardio seems to do just fine in terms of my legs.
    I can't imagine a personal trainer instructing clients to neglect one portion of the body in such a manner that would intentionally lead to muscular imbalance and asymmetry.

This is what I am doing. I want my arms and shoulders to get bigger for symmetry. Just walking around for the last 20 years has kept my legs strong while my arms are weak and flabby. Personally, I am a pear/spoon shape, so even if I get down to a low body fat percent, I would still have huge legs and tiny shoulders.

Have you gotten lean enough to determine that? Usually the fruit shapes are determined by how one distributes bodyfat. I am a pear shape when I sit at a high bodyfat. Big butt thighs and hips, calves, and small boobs, When I lean down I'm actually quite balanced on the top and bottom. And a good trainer wouldn't tell you to neglect a body part over another unless you were lean enough for them to truly visualize that there was an imbalance. I know this happens in people that play sports that favor one muscle group over the other (my husband has a huge right forearm compared to his left because of tennis). Maybe people that are obese have this issue but I would still not want to have huge delts and arms and traps and then smaller legs if I didn't know what size my legs truly were without the fat on them.

I think anyway people should work on compound(full body) movements on their weight loss journey.

I'm pear shape at my current body fat percentage of about 23%. I'm okay with that. Pear shape is not "wrong" or "disproportional". It's just as "normal" as any other shape. I also lift compound full body, have been doing so for a year.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    ^^ What? We're not talking about a person's natural shape. We are referring to those who have a significant amount of body fat on their legs and believe they don't have to train them as often as their upper body because of a false impression of body composition. Once they lean down enough, and notice their legs have now fallen behind the rest of the body, they'll likely have to do the reverse to correct the asymmetry in muscular development.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Just a thought....I went to an exercise class that did a great thigh workout. You sit with legs bent and feet are touching. You put weights on your inner thighs and lift up and down. I did 20 pound weights but you can start with a 5 and a 10 pound and work your way up. You just sit and lift it worked well. The trainer said it was the only way to lose the weight in the thigh area. I did see results. Thanks for reminding me I need to start doing this again. Hope this helps.

Correction... it won't tone or make you lose weight in the thigh area.. a basic calorie deficit will do that. These exercise will just strengthen the muscles. You can't spot reduce..

Correction, while you may not lose fat, you can certainly tone the area. Spot reduction is different from strength training.

How can you see definition if there is a thick layer of fat covering it?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options

I addressed strength training in the second sentence.... You use ST to improve the strength of the muscle and to preserve the muscle during weight loss. You use a calorie deficit to lose fat. Even if ST, if you aren't in a calorie deficit, you aren't losing. Also, there is NO such thing as spot reduction (if that is what you were implying), there is only overall body fat loss.
  • annielizstan
    annielizstan Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    If you will daily exercise can help to weight loss.
    Maintain your diet.
    You need to eat the fresh friuts.
    Take lemon juice.
    Drink more water.
    Do daily massage.
    Dancing is a best way also to weight loss.