Why don't people like the phrase "tone up"

Options

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Cyclink: "Muscle either grows or shrinks. It's not something that you can control the way in which it grows."

I tend to agree with you, but I do wonder why people who do yoga and bodystrength type exercises tend to have longer more lean looking muscles, whereas weight lifting tends to build the middle - the belly - of the muscle giving the body a more rounded bulky look?

Not wanting an argument - just an observation.

<
    huh?
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I don't like the words "tone" or "toning" because it's been used to pander to women who are afraid of large muscle. Women shouldn't be afraid of being muscular. Muscles are beautiful, healthy and empowering. And women won't build muscles of great size, and what they can build takes a great deal of effort due to lower testosterone levels. There is no reason women should fear muscles. Second, the low-weight, high-rep routines people have been promoting to "tone" don't do anything except maybe increase endurance. Women pay for classes, trainers, magazines etc and get very little benefit. These routines don't build strength, muscle size, definition, or even retain muscles. I think definition is what most women really want when they say "tone" but that's accomplished through fat loss and muscle retention. Fat loss is accomplished through calorie deficit and heavy weight lifting is most effective for muscle retention during a calorie deficit.

Yes, all of that!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Cyclink: "Muscle either grows or shrinks. It's not something that you can control the way in which it grows."

I tend to agree with you, but I do wonder why people who do yoga and bodystrength type exercises tend to have longer more lean looking muscles, whereas weight lifting tends to build the middle - the belly - of the muscle giving the body a more rounded bulky look?

Not wanting an argument - just an observation.

<
    huh?

<- example #2.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    because it doesnt mean anything , different people mean different things when they use it .the thing i hate most is when people say yoga or pilates give you lean muscle or long muscles . muscle is muscle and your muscle length is determined by where it attaches to your ligaments when in turn attach to your bone. i think it annoys me so much because this is like fundamental human anatomy information that most of us should have learned in grade school.

@dopeitup that's not exactly true. people say that madonna looks "bulky" and she does a *kitten* ton of yoga. the problem with terms like tone up, bulky, etc is that it's mainly about perception. madonna is teeny but because she has like -7% body fat people say she is bulky
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    because it doesnt mean anything , different people mean different things when they use it .the thing i hate most is when people say yoga or pilates give you lean muscle or long muscles . muscle is muscle and your muscle length is determined by where it attaches to your ligaments when in turn attach to your bone. i think it annoys me so much because this is like fundamental human anatomy information that most of us should have learned in grade school.

QFT.

Same reason I hate "Eating Clean". Vague language sucks.
  • _JR_
    _JR_ Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    Everyone else nailed the answer pretty dang good, so this is all I have to add....

I had an old stereo that had a knob for "Tone". I could turn it UP or DOWN. Tone Up, and Tone Down.
    That's what I think when I hear someone say "Tone Up".

I think most people think "get lean" when they say "tone up".
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    this is really a thing?
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I have no problem with the term. The problem arises when someone suggests a toning program. It's invariably a bunch of super light weights done for super high reps. If someone wants to be "toned" i understand. But most things they do to get there is a waste of time and effort.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    agreed - you gotta put some in to get some out.
  • n2thenight24
    n2thenight24 Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    Don't worry, I'm not spot reducing, or trying to, lol. I actually like my *kitten* just the way it is, It would be nice if it were a little perkier however... I work all my muscle groups along with cardio. I think when I get my body fat to where I want it, I will start incorporating the heavier lifting.
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    Don't worry, I'm not spot reducing, or trying to, lol. I actually like my *kitten* just the way it is, It would be nice if it were a little perkier however... I work all my muscle groups along with cardio. I think when I get my body fat to where I want it, I will start incorporating the heavier lifting.

Nooooo
    You will be MUCH happier if you start lifting NOW.
    It will help you achieve the results you are looking for.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    this is really a thing?

Ummm...my sentiments exactly. Who cares?
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Why don't people like bees? They're okay little guys. They mind their own business and puke up honey all day.
  • _JR_
    _JR_ Posts: 830 Member
    Options

Start lifting now! :smile:

Strengthening the muscles will help make things tighter, giving you the illusion that you weigh less while the pounds come off. Plus, heavy strength training releases hormones that aid in better fat burning. Keep doing your cardio too. Tackle it from both angles. :wink:
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options

Nooooo

this

perkier butt= heavy squats and deadlifts NOW.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options

If you want to be 'toned' and wait until you weigh less, you will have the problem of trying to build muscle while being 'skinny fat'. Which is much harder than building muscle from the beginning, because you have less of a margin of error with calories, etc.

I think you will probably not be ABLE to have body fat where you want it without weight training - you will look the same, just smaller, and still probably be dissatisfied.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Why don't people like bees? They're okay little guys. They mind their own business and puke up honey all day.

Also, they are fuzzy and stripey! And, yes, I did just quote myself. Who's going to stop me? You? Hah. I laugh at your inability to stop me from doing things. Hah!
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    The term "tone" was created decades ago to trick women in to believing that their muscles behaved and developed differently than that of a man to get them involved in strength training. Think of it as false advertising.

From a biomechanical standpoint, muscles can only lengthen and shorten during relaxation and contraction. In terms of size, it can either atrophy or hypertrophy.

"Toning" is more of a process, if anything - it's alternating between goals of reducing whole body fat and hypertrophy until one reaches satisfaction in regards to degree of leanness vs muscle volume.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

Nooooo

this

perkier butt= heavy squats and deadlifts NOW.
    BUT here's the down side : it's harder to get the small of your back flat against the bench when you want to bench press. yesterday i spent so much time between sets trying to get myself set properly :laugh:

and OP definitely start lifting now. lifting will help you reach your body fat loss goals sooner because it ensures that you hold on to as much muscle mass as possible while you lose weight
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Start lifting now! :smile:

Strengthening the muscles will help make things tighter, giving you the illusion that you weigh less while the pounds come off. Plus, heavy strength training releases hormones that aid in better fat burning. Keep doing your cardio too. Tackle it from both angles. :wink:

^^this