quitting smoking and losing weight.

Options
mandy0688
mandy0688 Posts: 335 Member
Okay everyone, I have made my decision to quit smoking. Big challenge awaits. I also don't want to gain weight either. I will keep a blog as I go daily but I need to know if anyone has suggestions or if your fighting the same fight send me a friend request. Thanks.

Replies

• Jenny_Taylia
    Jenny_Taylia Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I smoke. Id love to quit...but I want to lose weight before I quit. I know smoking makes certains activites more difficult, But I just dont want to gain 50 lbs. A friend of mine quit and six months later I walked right passed her in a store because I absolutely did not
    recognise her from the incredible amount of weight she gained...its scares me to quit!

PS...GOOD LUCK!!!
  • mandy0688
    Options
    I smoke. Id love to quit...but I want to lose weight before I quit. I know smoking makes certains activites more difficult, But I just dont want to gain 50 lbs. A friend of mine quit and six months later I walked right passed her in a store because I absolutely did not
    recognise her from the incredible amount of weight she gained...its scares me to quit!

PS...GOOD LUCK!!!

Me too but I got some sugar free gum and its 5 cals a stick, i am gonna break them up in three pieces and find a hobby. i want to go exercise to get my mind off it. I got the patches adn my manager said they work and help with those cravings.
  • mommieoftwingirls12
    Options
    I quit smoking 1 1/2 years ago..didn't gain any weight..i was fat already..lol..but then i decided to lose weight..and i'm glad i quit smoking because there's nothing worse than walking/running and coughing because my lungs hurt...the only think i did to quit smoking was to wear a rubber band around my wrist and snap myself when i wanted a cigarette..my boss gave me that idea and would usually snap it for me..at one point, i ended up with 8 rubber bands on at once!! i had been a smoker for about 4 years before i quit..good luck! you can do it..but you really have to want to quit...
  • Jenny_Taylia
    Jenny_Taylia Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking 1 1/2 years ago..didn't gain any weight..i was fat already..lol..but then i decided to lose weight..and i'm glad i quit smoking because there's nothing worse than walking/running and coughing because my lungs hurt...the only think i did to quit smoking was to wear a rubber band around my wrist and snap myself when i wanted a cigarette..my boss gave me that idea and would usually snap it for me..at one point, i ended up with 8 rubber bands on at once!! i had been a smoker for about 4 years before i quit..good luck! you can do it..but you really have to want to quit...

Now thats a different idea lol. Ive been a smoker for 15 yrs. I am SO ashamed of smoking. Its disgusting. But youre right...you must really want to quit to successfully quit.
  • mandy0688
    Options

I may just do the rubberband thing. sounds like a great idea. I have the patches now i need rubberbands. I can take a red wrist over lung cancer any day!
  • Oaeneo
    Oaeneo Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking about 3 weeks after I started keto. It wasn't easy because I didn't want to stop but my SO quit and I was trying to be encouraging. Just quit. Don't wait for a more perfect time.
  • MegCatalyst
    Options
    I usually weigh 123lbs (have for the last 7 years). Then I moved to a new town a year ago and didn't really pay attention to my weight for awhile - I ended up gaining up to 129lbs. I quit smoking 9 months ago. The biggest I ended up getting was 137lbs but I'm down to 135 now. So I guess I gained 8lbs after quitting - but need to lose 12lbs total just to get back to my "regular" 123lbs. It wasn't all at once, I was putting on about a pound or two a month. I could have watched it better but I started slacking and eating a lot of junk food. It hit me when my jeans hit a size 9, what a sad day. Good luck to you though!! I mainly just count calories, walk my dogs, and ride my bike. I just bought Slim Quick diet pills but haven't taken them long enough to see any change.
  • Shaolin_Papa
    Options
    Hi,

What everyone always ignores is that you gotta INCREASE your exercise. :wink: Period.
  • DamnImASexyBitch
    DamnImASexyBitch Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    I gained about 20lbs from quitting smoking. I didn't eat more, but it was definitely a shock to my metabolism especially since I wasn't exercising when I quit.
  • cookn_mama
    cookn_mama Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I quit about 4 years ago. Yes I gained weight, but everyone kept telling me that it would take a year for the weight to come off. Well. I never really worked at it. Food tasted good for the first time in a long time!! When I became pre-diabetic is when I decided to take the weight off. Am at day 100 and have lost 29 lbs!!! Am at what I weighed 22 years ago! You have to be ready to quit smoking. The weight will come off too. Good luck at both your tasks!!
  • vaavale
    vaavale Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I quit about 1 !/2 years ago, after smoking for over 45years. I used chapix I got from the doctor. Made me feel a bit sick half hour after i took it. (bit like morning sickness) I have gained about 8kg, I think because the food tastes so good. Now I am ready to lose it. I had none of the gitters, sleepless, or anything of that sort. as you can image after all those years my breathing isn't the best, my skin looks like @#$5. I don't have my own teeth. GIVE UP WHILE YOU CAN!!!
    The weight will come off later, and if you keep an eye on it, it won't be that bad:laugh:
  • ImNotThatBob
    ImNotThatBob Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I had been a non smoker my whole life right up until the first Iraq war. Once I started, that was it. Then one day I decided to quit only to find out I wasn't a quitter. After several false starts I eventually gave it up for good. Every once in a while I still get cravings. When that happens I go running until I can't breathe. It's getting harder and harder to get "out of breath" but... I can't remember the last time I had a craving either. LOL

Good Luck! You can do this!
    quitting-smoking-1.jpeg
  • tmanfromtexas
    tmanfromtexas Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    I attempted to quit back in November 2010. I went 9 days without one and cratered started smoking again but gained 9 pounds in those 9 days. I didnt change my eating habits but my metabolism took a dive. I have also read somewhere, here on MFP maybe, that you can burn up to 500 calories a day smoking. I dont think that is accurate but if it is true, then you have to find some way to burn those calories also.

So, if you have decided to quit, make a plan to take your mind off it, use sugar free snacks to help with the cravings and exercise more, if your weight gain starts to creep up, then work out even more and review your diet to get your metabolism cooking again.

I plan on quitting again, I have to get my mind right to do it. Good luck to you.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I quit after reading the Allen Carr Easy Way book, cold turkey after 20 odd years, worked for other MFPs too.

I did gain weight but in time I also adjusted my general outlook on life, fitness and self-worth so I've taken the excess off and continue on the path smoke-free.

It's a winding road, don't expect to change everything at once but every step in the right direction counts :)
  • khokho85
    Options
    Now, I'm afraid to quit!
  • The_new_me_x
    Options
    I quit almost 5 months ago and gained 42lbs it's hard getting it back off,, but I'm so glad I did it x
  • JatieKo621
    JatieKo621 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I smoked for 5 years and when I quit, it was because I was EXERCISING MORE. Honestly, I was set on loosing weight and hadn't really thought about quitting, but every time I would bike/run/work out, I felt sick from coughing. I slowly quit, simply cutting down and cutting down while increasing physical activity and it WORKED!!! Whenever I would go running, I would say to myself "I will never smoke again" because it hurts, I mean I got to the point where I was in good shape but my lungs/cardiovascular system were way behind. It also got to where I could tell a difference, if I had one cigarette that day or the night before and then worked out, I could FEEL it and it sucked. Once in awhile I think that I want one, (especially if i've been drinking) but I can ALWAYS tell the next day! Its not worth it!

You can DO this!
  • smb0506
    Options
    I quit smoking about 4 months ago. I didn't eat more, but I realized I was less active because I didn't make the excuse to leave the desk walk downstairs and smoke. Once I realized I gained weight I made a choice to get in shape. Now, whenever I want to smoke a cigarette, I go outside and do 30 jumping jacks. Healthy and fit. I feel a lot better since quitting and have saved a ton of money. The money saved I now spend on fitness dvds, accessories, and music. DO IT. Quit that horrible habit!
  • emaren
    emaren Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I swapped strong black coffee for my beloved Marlboro Reds.

I am fairly sure that for a while I singlehandedly supported my local Starbucks.

I gained a whole pile of weight for other reasons at that point in my life, mostly because I stopped going to the gym at the same time.

If you can quit, and replace the rush with something with zero calories and work out harder, you will be fine...
  • mandy0688
    Options
    Thanks for the kind words today is the first day and it seems so easy. I have the nicotine patches and they are very effective. You step down to lower doses so it helps. Its a ten week process. I have a blog i will be doing everyday so please if your on here reading this subscribe so I can share my journey with you. I have some sugar free gum thats 5 cals a stick that I break into three pieces for cal counting wise to help with the cravings. And with me trying to keep busy. I burn cals. I cleaned the house today and prob will walk more tomorrow. So wish me luck and thanks for the kind words