quitting smoking and losing weight.

Options

Replies

• mandy0688
    mandy0688 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
  • suckerlove
    Options
    I quit for a year and a half and picked it back up about 2 months ago. I need to quit but I just can't seem to do it. I am trying to quit smoking and caffeine...I am going to be such a grumpy pants. Good luck to you, I am sure you can do it and not gain.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    I smoke. Id love to quit...but I want to lose weight before I quit. I know smoking makes certains activites more difficult, But I just dont want to gain 50 lbs.

no offense but this is a very common excuse

the only thing that will make you gain weight is too many calories...is you are using nicotine to curb your appetite, you need to recognize that and deal with it

even if you do gain some initial weight from quitting, at least you won't stink like crap and your complexion will look better with more oxygen
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    To the people who are putting off smoking until after they lose weight: seriously, don't.

Losing weight and getting healthier just goes hand-in-hand with quitting smoking, in my opinion. For me, I have more energy to do my workouts, and breathing while exercising is a whole lot easier. I just find it easier to stay smoke-free when I am into a healthy living routine, which takes some time and work but if you want it, you'll get there. But that might just be me, I'm kind of all or nothing, and finding balance is always a challenge. When it's good it's great, but when things go bad it's all-encompassing too.

You are being mindful enough to make lifestyle changes to lose weight, and you might surprise yourself by finding that mindfulness carries over into other parts of your health. :smile:
  • Katbody10
    Katbody10 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I'm 46 .. 5'4 .. currently weigh 112 lbs ..

I quit smoking Aug 17, 2012 .. .. On Sept 20, 2012 .. I discovered I gained 15 lbs .. and nothing changed in my diet (didn't eat more, etc.) I was 121 when I joined here.

I made a quick and snap decision to quit smoking (didn't plan on it .. just woke up one day and said .. that's it) I hated it .. I still miss smoking .. BUT .. I haven't smoked and I won't. It does get better.

I joined here to put a stop to the weight gain.. have lost most of it already .. and am as happy as can be. I exercise more now. I did live off 5-6 cans of mountain dew a day .. as well as tons of sugar in my coffee/tea.. had a grande starbucks coffee concoction every day worth almost 700 calories.

Since I quit smoking .. I've had to give up my coffee from starbucks and my beloved sodas (snif) .. I did reduce my sugar in my coffee and tea .. although I still need a lot for it to be sweet enough.

Other than that .. my diet has always been pretty healthy and I'm finding I am able to get back to my normal eating habits and not gain the weight back .. I'm maintaining and will do so at least through the holidays and then focus on losing the last few pounds after then. It's not really urgent for me .. I'm happy where I am in weight.

Quitting smoking is huge and not easy. However .. you can do it and continue to lose weight by sticking to your calorie plan. You might as well go ahead and quit now .. rather than waiting until you reach your goal weight.. to only gain back unwanted pounds anyway (if you are inclined to do so). Just quit smoking and continue to work on losing weight... killing 2 birds with one stone .. and getting healthy the same time :-)
  • I stopped smoking on September 30th of this year, while continuing to lose weight at the same time. I won't lie to you: it is not easy, but the reward is well worth the effort. My appetite, at least for the first 2-3 weeks, was noticeably higher. Drinking lots of water, chewing sugar-free gum, and using breathing exercises helped immensely with this.

The things that got me through it were sheer willpower, a fantastic support group from my coworkers & friends, Allen Carr's book "Easyway to Stop Smoking," and this website: http://www.whyquit.com/ -- which is a great resource to keep you motivated on your quit.

Stopping smoking is one of the best things you can do for yourself, give it your best shot and try not to get discouraged if you falter a bit. Best of luck!
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    I'm 46 .. 5'4 .. currently weigh 112 lbs ..

I quit smoking Aug 17, 2012 .. .. On Sept 20, 2012 .. I discovered I gained 15 lbs .. and nothing changed in my diet (didn't eat more, etc.) I was 121 when I joined here.

I made a quick and snap decision to quit smoking (didn't plan on it .. just woke up one day and said .. that's it) I hated it .. I still miss smoking .. BUT .. I haven't smoked and I won't. It does get better.

I joined here to put a stop to the weight gain.. have lost most of it already .. and am as happy as can be. I exercise more now. I did live off 5-6 cans of mountain dew a day .. as well as tons of sugar in my coffee/tea.. had a grande starbucks coffee concoction every day worth almost 700 calories.

Since I quit smoking .. I've had to give up my coffee from starbucks and my beloved sodas (snif) .. I did reduce my sugar in my coffee and tea .. although I still need a lot for it to be sweet enough.

Other than that .. my diet has always been pretty healthy and I'm finding I am able to get back to my normal eating habits and not gain the weight back .. I'm maintaining and will do so at least through the holidays and then focus on losing the last few pounds after then. It's not really urgent for me .. I'm happy where I am in weight.

Quitting smoking is huge and not easy. However .. you can do it and continue to lose weight by sticking to your calorie plan. You might as well go ahead and quit now .. rather than waiting until you reach your goal weight.. to only gain back unwanted pounds anyway (if you are inclined to do so). Just quit smoking and continue to work on losing weight... killing 2 birds with one stone .. and getting healthy the same time :-)

You're 46, an ex-smoker and you look like THAT?! You have some amazing genes there :smile:
  • ahnk807
    Options
    Like Kat I am 44, smoked for 25 years....had a heart attack in July,,,,had my last cigarette that same day....now I am here making sure the rest of me gets as healthy as that decision....I miss smoking without regretting it
  • Katbody10
    Katbody10 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    You're 46, an ex-smoker and you look like THAT?! You have some amazing genes there

Wow .. thank you! :blushing: :heart: :heart: that's soo sweet of you! I think I look my age .. but I do try so very hard to fight it. Lots and Lots of expensive creams .. I spend a small fortune at the Lancome counter every few months. Mom always told me to take care of my skin and that's what I've done since I can remember.

I've always had very dry skin .. so have had to just be greasy faced with creams and lotions .. lol Believe me .. I notice the crows feet and laugh lines .. and I don't wanna rush anything!!
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I am 60 and I quit cold turkey Jan. 26,2012 after a stay in ICU with blood clots in my legs and heart.I did not gain because I was already on MFP and I started exercising. No excuses.Quit for good!
  • citizencrp
    citizencrp Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I quit a year ago this week. In that same year I have lost 45 lbs.

It's not easy but quitting does not automatically equal weight gain. I was suffering from daily vertogo and migraines and I was so very sick of being sick all the time. The decision I made a year ago was "to be healthier" so that's what I did. I quit smoking first, but also jump started my weight loss with a couple low carb weeks.

I did have the help of medication, topomax, a medication commonly prescribed for migraines with a known side effect of appetite suppression (for both food and cigarettes), so it worked out in my favor in many ways. I also kept nicotine gum handy and didn't beat myself up if I had a drag pf someones smoke when I was out--but if I had a whole cig--that was it--square one.

I may still be obese, but I feel SO MUCH BETTER! and I can walk up stairs without being nervous that I'll wheeze and everyone will think "Gross, that fat smoker can't even make it up 5 flights without taking a knee". Now they probably think "Hmmm, that fatty can really book it up those 5 flights!" ;)

Anyways..good luck. Use the tools available to you: patches, gum, carrot sticks, support groups, and websites.
    Keep up the good work!!!

PS: I smoked for 20 years.
  • ractrev
    ractrev Posts: 426
    Options
    Smoker here for the better part of 30 years. I quit in January of this year using an e-cig. So far so good - with the ecig, I did not have the intense cravings for the smokes that make you give up or eat to try to stop them. I know it's not for everyone, but they worked well for me.

The nice part about quitting is that I can actually exercise now. I figured it was impossible because I was just too fat, turned out I was just fat, but the smoking was really slowing me down. Now I can actually run a little bit - there has not been anything big and scary enough to make me run for over 25 years!

Good luck with your quit plan, you can do it.
  • ffffaaatttt
    ffffaaatttt Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I tried to quit smoking while I was losing weight. It totally effed me over and I ended up smoking more than before I tried to quit. I ended up completely off track and gained back 10 lbs I lost. :( In no way am I suggesting that you not even bother trying. Just know you may end up setting yourself back a bit. Be prepared for that. I've decided I will try again after I hit my half-way point. Mostly because you're right... It is difficult to exercise when you smoke. My heart rate goes through the roof, and I feel like everybody in the gym can hear me breathing, even over their head phones. lol Best of luck to you. :)
  • mandy0688
    Options
    I stopped smoking on September 30th of this year, while continuing to lose weight at the same time. I won't lie to you: it is not easy, but the reward is well worth the effort. My appetite, at least for the first 2-3 weeks, was noticeably higher. Drinking lots of water, chewing sugar-free gum, and using breathing exercises helped immensely with this.

The things that got me through it were sheer willpower, a fantastic support group from my coworkers & friends, Allen Carr's book "Easyway to Stop Smoking," and this website: http://www.whyquit.com/ -- which is a great resource to keep you motivated on your quit.

Stopping smoking is one of the best things you can do for yourself, give it your best shot and try not to get discouraged if you falter a bit. Best of luck!

Checked out that website, and it will scare someone to stop. Thanks for sharing that. I am ever so grateful now that I am quitting.
  • SeahawkFan1
    Options
    There are meds you can try, Champix starter pack. I heard the nicorette quickmist might help with the cravings you might get while out with friends or away from home. Hope you find something that works :smile:
  • shellebelle87
    shellebelle87 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I'm slowly quitting. I have cut down to 2-4 a day, but since I only smoke at night now when I get home from work, it makes me less eager to go outside and smoke, and because it is late at night, I am less inclined to smoke like I used to. It is hard, but I find cutting down is the best way. Patches made me ill and I cant quit cold turkey, so cutting down is an option. I havnt gained weight, I have lost (but I am also going to a thing right now where i cant eat properly so I think that helps) but the point is, I havnt gained. Just take it slowly and dont hate yourself if you give in. It is a b!tch of a habit to give up!
  • mandy0688
    Options
    I tried to quit smoking while I was losing weight. It totally effed me over and I ended up smoking more than before I tried to quit. I ended up completely off track and gained back 10 lbs I lost. :( In no way am I suggesting that you not even bother trying. Just know you may end up setting yourself back a bit. Be prepared for that. I've decided I will try again after I hit my half-way point. Mostly because you're right... It is difficult to exercise when you smoke. My heart rate goes through the roof, and I feel like everybody in the gym can hear me breathing, even over their head phones. lol Best of luck to you. :)

I am excercising when I am thinking about a cig. I am tearing sugar free gum in pieces so I am only adding 25 cals a day to my diary.
  • LeRevCooper
    Options
    I quit smoking 3 years ago. Add me if you want. :smile:
  • Ally11611
    Options
    I quit smoking the day I had my daughter november of 2011. Went cold turkey. Was successful until this past summer when my friend started smoking again and I joined the crowd. I've decided to quit again for my daughter's health and my ability to run.

All of my friends smoke and refuse to quit with me. It's killing me. I went 3 days without a smoke then broke down and bought a pack saturday from too much stress.

Any suggestions? Trying to change my life!!

*Add me!*
  • tellascott
    Options
    I can say that when i quit on April 27, I lost weight.It's actually what started me dieting. A friend told me i was already wide so would gain more weight and i was intent on proving him wrong, which I have done. The way I have quit, is i just remind myself how much money i am saving not buying a carton every week (95.00 a week) and when the craving really gets to me, I buy myself something with the money I have saved and it makes me all happy again. 100 bucks a week buys some nice things.. like new clothes for the skinnier me. Plus now i can work out and have fun without getting all out of breath.
    Practical people will tell you now you can set aside that money for important things like car repairs and rent, I say pshaw...use it for fun things to reward yourself. With Christmas coming up, I sense a nice Christmas present to yourself with the money saved from smoking.
    I also took a lot of bubble baths for the first couple of weeks and read a lot of books.