Is this myth about eating late at night true....

Options

Replies

• freddykid
    freddykid Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I read something the other day that said eating after 8pm is associated with higher BMI, but doctors aren't sure why that is.

The one problem I have with anything said about BMI is that BMI calculations are horribly flawed. When I was about 7 percent body fat in high school, BMI scale said I was Obese. Anything based on a scale that has so much variance should not be used to make generalized statements. I don't even pay attention to BMI anymore.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    I read something the other day that said eating after 8pm is associated with higher BMI, but doctors aren't sure why that is.

I have a feeling that if you're eating after 8pm, you may be more prone to snacking anyway. I'm sure if you're careful about your calories, eat sensibly, and get regular exercise it doesn't matter what time you're eating.

I think it is an issue because those who do it are likely to have already eaten their daily requirements and then eat a **** load more. (Purely a guess but suspect it's the case for most people who snack late into the night.)
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I read something the other day that said eating after 8pm is associated with higher BMI, but doctors aren't sure why that is...
    Correlation ≠ causation. Absent certain medical conditions, obese people are overeaters (that's "Energy Balance 101"). If you overeat all day AND stuff food down your gullet at night while sitting in front of the TV, it's going to result in a caloric surplus, which will result in weight gain. If you're maintaining a caloric deficit, it doesn't matter what time you eat.

Mistaking correlation for causation can result in many false assumptions. We see a lot of obese people running. We get it - they're exercising in an effort to lose weight. If we mistook correlation for causation, we could conclude that running makes you fat because fat people run.

In regards to the original topic, energy balance is a continuously ongoing process. We measure our caloric intake by hours and days because it's how our lives are arranged, but the body can't tell time. It doesn't pause at midnight, tally up your intake for the day and decide to put on or take off pounds based upon that day's intake. If you eat 500 calories over on one day and then 500 calories under on the next day, it balances out. Same goes for eating throughout the day. It doesn't matter if you eat 2 meals a day or 10 meals a day, nor does it matter what time you eat them - your metabolism keeps running 24/7. Read the studies SideSteel linked to earlier in the thread, which bear this out.
  • balancedbrunette
    balancedbrunette Posts: 530 Member
    Options

In regards to the original topic, energy balance is a continuously ongoing process. We measure our caloric intake by hours and days because it's how our lives are arranged, but the body can't tell time. It doesn't pause at midnight, tally up your intake for the day and decide to put on or take off pounds based upon that day's intake. If you eat 500 calories over on one day and then 500 calories under on the next day, it balances out. Same goes for eating throughout the day. It doesn't matter if you eat 2 meals a day or 10 meals a day, nor does it matter what time you eat them - your metabolism keeps running 24/7. Read the studies SideSteel linked to earlier in the thread, which bear this out.

thanks for explaining this.
  • ellenyates
    ellenyates Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I appreciate you siting articles but the one from NIH is from 1997 and based on one study that was summarized into a paragraph. My knowledge in the field is based upon 30 years experience and an educational background. I am sure others will have other opinions and be able to back up their opinions with research as we can all find pertinent research on the internet to back up our claim.
    I am a 51 year old women and know that what I have experienced myself and what has worked. I am sure you have suggestions that work as well.

I still stand behind what I wrote before. I am here to help others and not get in a debate about what does and what does not work.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I appreciate you siting articles but the one from NIH is from 1997 and based on one study that was summarized into a paragraph. My knowledge in the field is based upon 30 years experience and an educational background. I am sure others will have other opinions and be able to back up their opinions with research as we can all find pertinent research on the internet to back up our claim.
    I am a 51 year old women and know that what I have experienced myself and what has worked. I am sure you have suggestions that work as well.

I still stand behind what I wrote before. I am here to help others and not get in a debate about what does and what does not work.

How does a study being from 1997 make it invalid? Did you look at the research cited in the articles?

Here are some more for you:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19943985 from 2010

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17483007 from 2007

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3508745 from 1987 (so it must be invalid)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9040548 from 1997 - this one actually indicates later meals may be better

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21475137 from 2011 - this one indicates that higher carbs late at night may be better

Are you able to back up your claims with peer reviewed studies?
  • saltedcaramel86
    saltedcaramel86 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I usually have my main meal about 7-7.30pm, though it can vary (like tonight it was gone 9pm as I got home late) and will have a small snack about 9-9.30pm (yoghurt, banana bread or 2 squares of chocolate typically) and doesn't hinder me in the slightest. Everyone is different though and just do whatever works for you.
  • ellenyates
    Options
    I appreciate you siting the studies. I looked at the first one and unfortunately cannot find his credentials or where the study was done that shows this. I am not knocking what you are saying but would like to see the scientific study and who did it.
    As a trainer with a science background, I will accept new research if I feel that the study was done on subjects similar to ourselves, in a controlled setting, and by a reputable source.

Thanks for sharing nevertheless.

PS I am not trying to create a competition her. This is just open for discussion and a way for all of us to learn.
  • ellenyates
    Options
    Amen, All bodies are different and you have to do what works for you. Even if the latest study showed that eating late at night encourages weight gain, perhaps you need to eat late at night because that is the only time that you can eat.
    It is so confusing right now as I have been thinking calories in must be equal to calories out. Yet, I just read and watch a video about hormones and insulin, It throws out the calorie in/out theory basically.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Amen, All bodies are different and you have to do what works for you. Even if the latest study showed that eating late at night encourages weight gain, perhaps you need to eat late at night because that is the only time that you can eat.
    It is so confusing right now as I have been thinking calories in must be equal to calories out. Yet, I just read and watch a video about hormones and insulin, It throws out the calorie in/out theory basically.

Insulin theory does not support the myth that eating late is lipogenic when you consider 24-hour fat balance as opposed to just looking at acute fat storage post-meal.

To my knowledge there are multiple studies refuting the idea that night time eating is lipogenic and I would ask you this: have you ever seen any reliable study with controlled energy intake where nighttime eating has been shown to cause fat storage over time? To my knowledge there are somewhere between few and zero. If anything we have some IF research showing potential benefits.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    No. Although you do need to monitor your calorie intake. If you're eating the right number of calories, it really doesn't matter what time of day you eat them.

For people who are not monitoring calorie intake, I think for some, late night eating would make them more likely to overeat, especially if they're doing stuff like eating high calorie snacks while watching the TV in the evening.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    I have one golden rule for my clients when it comes to eating late... Do not eat starchy or sugary carbs. Only lean sources of protein and veggies should be eaten late in the day if fat burning is the goal. Another rule of thumb... If you're awake, you should be eating every 3 hrs, including late night, right up until the minute you go to bed. So eat away.

Was this ever expounded upon?
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone who says it doesn't matter BUT consistency does matter! If your normal protocol does not involve late night meals and you eat a late night meal, you're cheating yourself. Eating the same time and same amount everyday helps create good weightloss habits. I also believe there are certain hormones that make you hungery at a certain time of day based on the habits that you create.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I appreciate you siting the studies. I looked at the first one and unfortunately cannot find his credentials or where the study was done that shows this. I am not knocking what you are saying but would like to see the scientific study and who did it.
    As a trainer with a science background, I will accept new research if I feel that the study was done on subjects similar to ourselves, in a controlled setting, and by a reputable source.

Thanks for sharing nevertheless.

PS I am not trying to create a competition her. This is just open for discussion and a way for all of us to learn.

Not sure why you decided to add to a thread that

1) was last active 6 months ago
    2) actually gave peer reviewed studies and/or links to articles that you can find peer reviewed studies on - you can go into them and check them out.

Here is another article:

http://www.leangains.com/2011/04/critique-of-issn-position-stand-on-meal.html

Not sure which you are talking about re credentials, but the credentials for Alan Aragon are:

Alan Aragon has over 20 years of success in the fitness field. He earned his Bachelor and Master of Science in Nutrition with top honors. He is a continuing education provider for the Commission on Dietetic Registration, National Academy of Sports Medicine, and National Strength & Conditioning Association. Alan has lectured to clinicians at the FDA and the annual conference of the Los Angeles Dietetic Association. He maintains a private practice designing programs for recreational, Olympic, and professional athletes, including the Los Angeles Lakers, Los Angeles Kings, and Anaheim Mighty Ducks. Alan is the nutrition advisor of Men's Health magazine. "

However, he wrote a good article re paper credentials that can be found here:

http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2010/11/18/paper-credentials-vs-the-fitness-industry/

Here is a nice write up....with studies cited:

http://nutridylan.com/2013/01/20/stoking-the-metabolic-fire-does-higher-meal-frequency-increase-metabolism-and-enhance-fat-loss/

Conclusion:

"In closing, there is no strong evidence to suggest an increase in metabolic rate and body fat oxidation by way of increased meal frequency. So whether you eat three times per day or six or more, the effects on metabolism will essentially be the same. As I mentioned before, BMR is dictated by FFM and TEF is essentially unchanged by when you eat your meals. Therefore, the only two logical modifiable factors when it comes to meal frequency are essentially non-modifiable to any significant degree. On the other side of the coin, things to consider when it comes to meal frequency are increased feelings of hunger with fewer meals during a hypocaloric diet and the possible increase in feelings of hunger with a shift in feeding pattern (from higher frequency to lower). Nevertheless, at the end of the day it comes down to personal preference and the person’s individual fitness/performance goals. If you find that eating more frequently throughout the day is tedious and difficult to follow, perhaps fewer, larger meals may be the way to go. There is no difference."
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

I have a feeling that if you're eating after 8pm, you may be more prone to snacking anyway. I'm sure if you're careful about your calories, eat sensibly, and get regular exercise it doesn't matter what time you're eating.

that's right there's a few studies showing a correlation... but correlation does not equal causation. I think your 2nd paragraph may be a reasonable explanation, also that snacking in the evening tends to be mindless and from habit (e.g. sat down in front of the TV eating a large bag of doritos) rather than in response to hunger. There are probably other possible explanations for this correlation.... but if you are controlling your calorie intake then there is no reason why you can't eat at whatever time of day you prefer. The decision should be made on the basis of what you're going to be most able to comply with in the long term.
  • mjl54
    mjl54 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    The only way late night eating is bad is if you eat something that prevents you from sleeping or getting a good nights sleep.
  • m00tmike
    m00tmike Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I just talked to a guy about this the other night. It makes no sense to me that my body would process calories differently depending on the time of day. Creating a calorie deficit is a math problem.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Eating late at night is bad if it makes you go over your calorie goal. Many people find rules such as "don't eat after 8 p.m." helpful for limiting calories. But it's the overall calorie count that matters. When you eat those calories has very little affect.
  • samuelsson
    samuelsson Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    BOTTOM LINE: Some research suggests we process nutrients differently at night. Eat smart -- don't give in to your cravings for salty, starchy carbs at night! Get plenty of sleep (sleep improves insulin sensitivity). And if you wake up in the middle of the night, DON'T EAT. Drink a glass of water instead.

From Oregon Health & Science University researcher Steven Shea's recently published article on daily changes in appetite / eating / food preferences:

"Indeed, eating a lot in the evening can be counterproductive since the human body handles nutrients differently depending on the time of day. For example, sugar tolerance is impaired in the evening. Additionally, consuming more calories in the evening predisposes people to more energy storage; we simply don’t expend as much energy after an evening meal in comparison to morning meals.

The researchers found that the internal circadian system regulated hunger, with participants feeling the least hungry in the morning (8 a.m.) and most hungry in the evening (8 p.m.). Similar rhythms were found in appetite for types of food, such as sweet, starchy and salty, and the estimate of how much food participants could eat. The study concludes that the internal circadian system causes an evening peak in appetite that may promote larger, higher-calorie meals before the fasting period necessitated by sleep.

“Our study suggests that because of the internal circadian regulation of appetite, we have a natural tendency to skip breakfast in favor of larger meals in the evening. This pattern of food intake across the day is exactly what Sumo wrestlers do to gain weight” said Dr. Shea. “So, it seems likely that the internal circadian system helps with efficient food storage. While this may have been valuable throughout evolution, nowadays it is likely to contribute to the national epidemic of obesity“."
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    No it's not. Sumo wrestlers eat 10,000 to 20,000 calories a day to gain weight. They don't skip breakfast and eat late at night.

Really that article didn't have much in the way of useful Information. The time you burn calories is irrelevant. Acute fat storage during sleep is irrelevant. What is relevant is the overall fat oxidation vs temporary storage, and overall calories consumed vs calories expended. If I eat 2000 calories right before bed (as my only meal,) sure I'll store most of it because I'm sleeping, but those stores will get used up the next day when I'm active again, plus 1000 calories more since I personally burn roughly 3000 calories a day. If I ate 2000 calories right after waking up, and didn't eat the rest of the day, I'd still store some of it right after eating, and then use it up the rest of the day plus burning the extra thousand because of my TDEE.

Timing of meals does not in any way trump calorie tracking. Yes people tend to want to eat later in the day, and yes, that can lead to overconsumption of calories if you aren't tracking. However, if you track your calories and stick to your goal, it's completely irrelevant.