Anyone 200lbs or over try the 30 day shred?

Options
I would like to hear the results from people who weigh over 200lbs that have done the Jillian Michaels 30 day shred. I have been looking at the other forum threads, but I have not really seen anyone 200lbs or over attempting this. Is this something some one 200lbs and over should not attempt?

Replies

• runninpal
    Options
    When i first did it i was over 200, I about died. But if you stick with it, you will do great!!
  • sarahcuddle
    sarahcuddle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I was around 180 when I started doing 30 day shred. I can honestly say I thought I was going to die the first day I did it. I think it depends how fit you think you are. Before doing shred I could swim for 50 laps and had started couch to 5k running too so I probably was moderately fit. Obviously be advised by your doctor but I would think the best thing to do is just have a go, do all the 'easy' options which at first aren't easy at all and do as many push-ups or whatever as you can manage. You won't do everything the first time you do it, but even skinny people don't :) You do get better the more you do it though and the results are really good
  • kwitbellyakin
    Options
    Lea, I am losing. Combining my own regime with my fitness pal. I have Parkinsons and very bad arthritis, disabled, hypothyroidism. So, that being said has been very difficult for me to lose weight. But I am losing, sometimes only 2lbs a week but, as my Dr said its going in right direction and thats down. From the South, we drink alot of sweet tea, it litterally made me gain 10 lbs in a week, after a long 2 months using a sugar free drink from WalMart , as soon as quite the tea and did the sugar free peach tea and grape drink, the weight came back down. I snack, cuz you know we're gonna snack, on home popped corn, not the pre packaged microwave stuff (its too fattening) Lots of chicken, lots and lots of beans. Beans my new go to food, for fiber and losing weight. I hope these ideas help you like they have me. My dr was able to get me off type 2 diabetic meds (metformin) because of weight loss. Don't be discouraged if slow progress. The slower, then your not likely to gain back.
  • loliblullama
    loliblullama Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I was 214 when I started 30DS, I'm now 206. I lost quite a bit doing it actually - have done it several times. I also found that even though the number didn't always go down, the shape of my body definitely changed. I'd recommend measuring too.
  • natalienicole502
    natalienicole502 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    It's hard but you will be fine, just don't skip a day.... you really get stronger every.single.day and will notice your stamina getting better in just a few days!

I started over 200, with 2 lb weights... then moved to 3lbers and those are killing me now! I know people who start with no weights and some who use 5/8/10lbers ::yikes::

Good luck!!
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    I started on here at 232.8 pounds and did the 30 day shred 6 days a week for 3 months...I lost a lot and gained muscle. I was pretty good at the push ups at ht end...lol. I was also almost 49 years ond then
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    i did the 30ds at 230lb. i won't lie- it was a challenge. but that was because i was unfit, not because i was fat! the results were great- but it's not like you could see muscle definition! i still had (and have) a rather fluffy layer between my muscle and skin! i did lose some inches, i toned up alot, but mostly i felt great! and it was good for establishing a daily routine. i'm doing it again now (at 175lbs).
    i say go for it.
  • CarolynB38
    CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I was around 200lb when I did it. I was reasonably fit to start with though (despite my weight). Give it a try and listen to your body. You should have 2 rest days a week. If it takes you more than the 10 days on the first level, don't worry, it'll just take longer than the 30 days to get through it. I did each level 5 days a week for 2 weeks. Do the versions of the exercises that suit you best. You can always do it again once you've finished and do the next level of that exercise next time. That's what I did :bigsmile:
  • dusk77
    dusk77 Posts: 16
    Options
    Hi there, I am currently half way through the 30 day shred so don't have results yet but am over 200lbs. It is a really good workout and I am now starting to feel my body change, my hubbie says he can see the differences.
  • Rynoman2k3
    Rynoman2k3 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I did 3 days of it when I was over 250lbs. OMG it's a killer! I'm about 218 now and I still never want to do it again! Although I might have to resort to it if the weather doesn't cooperate with my outside workouts of cycling, rollerblading, running, walking, ect...
  • roughneckswife
    roughneckswife Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I'm 233 and I'm doing it! Add me and we can keep in touch! I'm only on day too and yes I want to KILL Jillian! lol
  • Today414
    Today414 Posts: 118
    Options
    I'm 230 and I literally just finished day two. HOWEVER, that's not consecutive and I won't be doing it consecutively. I use it as kind of my strength training so I'll be doing it ever few days or so. It's hard. Its def hard, but you will know how well it works the next day when you can't lift your arms above your head! :noway:

I love it. But I am focusing on cardio and just mixing in 30ds here and there.
  • SuperMammaLeah
    SuperMammaLeah Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Anyone ever track the calories burned during one of these works outs? I have my HRM I am going to have on when I start it tomorrow.
  • JHoelck0928
    JHoelck0928 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I am 206 and just started it yesterday. I just about died and am really sore today but I am going to keep going. I am excited to see the results when I complete the 30 days. I think you can do anything you put your mind to no matter how much you weigh.
  • JHoelck0928
    JHoelck0928 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Anyone ever track the calories burned during one of these works outs? I have my HRM I am going to have on when I start it tomorrow.

No but I am curious to know what it says. I just tracked it as curcuit training.
  • SuperMammaLeah
    SuperMammaLeah Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    When I do my first work out tomorrow I will post how many calories were burned for the entire work out. :)
  • Today414
    Today414 Posts: 118
    Options

No but I am curious to know what it says. I just tracked it as curcuit training.

My HRM says about 400
  • sphyxy
    sphyxy Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I was 320 when i started last june. It was rough and I had to modify a few things but my HRM said it was working and so did the scale and my body. I felt great. I pushed myself a little too much by doing 2 sessions and strained my shoulder and had to let it heal a couple weeks and then I never started up again. Lesson learned, don't get cocky lol.

But yeah, 29 year old female, 5'9, mobile and healthy and was able to do it at 320. Ready to start again now that I am at 299!
  • mdcjmom
    mdcjmom Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I did it before my injury and had great results. I was around 280 at the time and was doing 30 day shred as well as the Leslie Sansome walking workouts. I was able to lose around 40 lbs using those two videos and going to the gym. It was very beneficial to get me going in the morning!

As far as tracking it I used my hrm. And then I entered it on the exercise page.
  • kepete
    kepete Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I was over 200 when I did it last year. It's not the weight that will get you, it's the workouts. Start slow & know or the first 10 days or so it will be a killer!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!