What's the most backhanded compliment you've ever recieved?

Options

Replies

• AmberLee2012
    Options
    My size 2 boss constantly complains about not being a size 0 and will look over and ask me during this conversation, "But how much have YOU lost now? Oh my gosh, if I could ONLY lose these 5 pounds..."
    :grumble:

Same boss with another girl at work who is struggling with her weight (not me, because I would have slapped her)
    Boss: "Those pants are way too tight, they look like spandex, we're not allowed to wear spandex at work, honey."
    Girl: "Well, I don't have the money to buy any pants this week and I've gained a little weight."
    Boss: "Here... (hands her a stack of papers) go deliver these, maybe you'll lose some weight." (sweet smile)

After I overheard that I was just in shock, does someone really not know how hurtful that is?

That is terrible!! I can't believe someone hasn't complained about her (if there is anyone above her). You shouldn't have to be treated like that in the workplace.
  • Colleen118
    Colleen118 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    can't think of any right off the top of my head. but last week I bought a new Adidas gym bag and the cashier at TJ Max said "looks like someone is about to start working out!" and I said "Um someone has been working out for 3 months."

can't wait till I can buy exercise equipment or clothing without looking like I stumbled into the wrong dept. heck, I can't wait till I can go to the produce dept or lean cuisine aisle at the grocery store without looking like a helpless fat girl embarking on a new diet. because right now when I go anywhere near the healthy foods people always give me unsolicited nutritional advice. I don't care how thin or fit I get. I'm not gonna go around telling people what they should do unless they ask for my opinion. Especially strangers!

and tell me why a guy at the Y who is in worse shape than I am feels the need to tell me what he thinks I should do regarding exercise. I doubt he can manage my daily workout. And he's new to classes I've been attending for a while now. But this is the 3rd day he's had some sort of wisdom to share. Today he came up to tell me (while I'm on a machine with my earbuds in) that from now on I don't eat any more white stuff. I responded that I do sometimes. And again he said, no. No more white stuff for you. Does he think he's the soup nazi from Seinfeld? Where does he get off?

Oh my goodness, I so relate to this, and the "soup nazi" comment cracked me up.

Maybe he has a thing for you and is absolutely CLUELESS on how to start a conversation.... or even a friendship... with a "new" lady. But I totally agree... way out of line.
  • Colleen118
    Colleen118 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    My size 2 boss constantly complains about not being a size 0 and will look over and ask me during this conversation, "But how much have YOU lost now? Oh my gosh, if I could ONLY lose these 5 pounds..."

Same boss with another girl at work who is struggling with her weight (not me, because I would have slapped her)
    Boss: "Those pants are way too tight, they look like spandex, we're not allowed to wear spandex at work, honey."
    Girl: "Well, I don't have the money to buy any pants this week and I've gained a little weight."
    Boss: "Here... (hands her a stack of papers) go deliver these, maybe you'll lose some weight." (sweet smile)

After I overheard that I was just in shock, does someone really not know how hurtful that is?

That is terrible!! I can't believe someone hasn't complained about her (if there is anyone above her). You shouldn't have to be treated like that in the workplace.

In my company that type of comment would be construed as harrassment and the manager would be terminated immediately.
  • Surfrider
    Surfrider Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    "You used to be such a cute kid, what happened?" -Mom
  • Snitch1
    Snitch1 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • Corsetopia
    Corsetopia Posts: 307 Member
    Options

There is one person above her and he hires women based upon their looks (it seems, I guess I don't REALLY know this for sure). Fortunately, it's just my weekend job while I'm in school and on the weekends none of the brass are there!

But the things that come out of some people's mouths are insane! I wish I could hug everyone on this thread, I completely know how it feels. "OH YOU CARRY YOUR WEIGHT SO WELL." These backhanded compliments have to stop. ={
  • smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    One from my lovely grandmother: "You're pretty right now, but you'd be beautiful if you lost weight."

I'll see your grandmother quote and raise you one: "Why do you keep dating men who are better looking than you? Aren't you afraid they'll find someone who matches them better?"

Went to her funeral and poked her to make sure she stayed dead...

Hahaha Wooowwww!
  • DollyMiel
    DollyMiel Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    "In West Virginia, we call you 'pleasantly plump'!"

:indifferent:
  • olores
    olores Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    just last night, my hubby and I were talking about people parking closer to the store doors which I used to request gettting dropped off there myself....but since losing a decent amount of "feet hurting" weight....63lbs....I prefer to park further and get the exercise in.....My hubby says.....well since you lost your...... little weight.........mind you, he's not very supportive.............I replied....not little weight.....big major weight! Onward!....thank GOD for the strength he gives me to stay strong! It's all good.....actually hubby gives me inspiration to push harder! :)
  • olores
    olores Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    yep, inspiration!
  • Jovan0609
    Jovan0609 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    "She's really pretty, for a black girl." -- said by a guy I was interested in dating (he wasn't black).

"Dang! Don't get me wrong, you were cute before, but I can't stop looking at you now! You look amazing! Dang!" -- said by one of my best guy friends (it was his first time seeing me since the 40 pound weight loss)
  • Surfrider
    Options
    Got a new one on my Facebook today:

"You look really skinny in that picture! Wow! Is it photoshopped?"
  • laural007
    laural007 Posts: 251 Member
    Options

Is she blind?
  • Surfrider
    Options

Is she blind?

Thanks! =D
  • one of my daughters friends, who is 26 told her...I think your mom is awesome. If she lost 100 lbs i would date her.. would that bother you?

i laughed my butt off when i heard that... first off im 48..secondly i would HAVE to lose 100 lbs for the honor of dating a 26 year old, unemployed guy that maybe weighs 125 soaking wet... hmmmm lol
  • Chameleone
    Chameleone Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    My little sister: I don't like going shopping for pants because it just makes me feel fat when I have to try on a size 9 or 10...
    Me: ...I'm a size 9 or 10
    Little sister: ...yeah but it looks good on you...
    Me: Who told you what size is beautiful....*kitten*..

My older sister: You have no shape now...

My friend: You got so tiny!...You're boobs are gone!!!
  • Chameleone
    Chameleone Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Also....

"You're a lot more flexible than you look!"

My friend giving me a piggy back ride.. "You're a lot lighter than you look"
  • girlygirl761
    girlygirl761 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Co-worker: Wow your hair looks better like that! It makes your face look less fat.

Guy at Bar: I think you're very attractive because I don't like skinny girls.
  • 2muchsauce
    2muchsauce Posts: 1,078
    Options
    "Is everything ok? You look like you've lost a lot of weight! Have you been sick?" No asshat , I've been getting healthy !!!
  • fcp1234
    fcp1234 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Hubby : Can you please move your elbow, its hurting my back..

Me: Its not my elbow, its my hip bone