What's the most backhanded compliment you've ever recieved?

Options

Replies

• willwillywilson
    Options
    A friend and I talking about our expectations of how we like guys to look:

I made a quip about holding myself to the same standard and she said "Yeah, but I really think that girls are allowed to be a little chubby."

lolololololol. I'm 5'1 and weighed 125 pounds.

I sort of did the head cocked to the side look, but wasn't terribly offended. It's a good thing I like myself or that would have SUCKED

So guys aren't allowed to be chubby? I thought women had a rep of not being shallow?
  • onefitsurvivor
    onefitsurvivor Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    A co-worker the other day told me I had lost a ton of weight. Thanks for noticing THE 55 POUNDS lost. That however does not equal a ton...

that doesn't sound bad to me. it's just a figure of speech.

I agree, not too bad. Or, maybe the coworker didn't want to say a number that was off base and really offend you. Could be worse.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Women without a shadow are shallow as men.
  • mrstravisjones
    mrstravisjones Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    You're a pretty girl, but you'd be so much prettier if you wore make up and waxed your eye brows.
  • b1essed
    Options
    These back-handed comments.....sometimes help to keep me motivated...i will be the one with the last laugh!!!!!
  • KristyHumphrey
    KristyHumphrey Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Well..you have a pretty face at least (usually a comment received when discussing my weight).
  • ladytinkerbell99
    ladytinkerbell99 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    I am going to come back and read this. I get many of these from friends and family. Hugs to everyone.
  • jennyvondoom
    jennyvondoom Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    "Wow! You weigh ____? You carry your weight really well." Gee thanks... so I'm really fat but the fat is well proportioned so it's ok? Quote any person I've ever discussed my weight with my entire adult life.
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    After spending my entire life as a "beanpole" I really packed on the pounds in highschool.
    In the span of 3 days--
    My Aunt (after not seeing her for a year) "hey honey, good to see you. Eww we're going to have to put you on a diet"
    My dad to my sister "stop making fun of your fat sister, she's hungry!"
    my boyfriend at the time trying to console me about what my family had said to me, while announcing in front of all my friends "you're not fat, you're roly poly!!"
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    yeah, the "wow you're really hot for your age, do you date younger guys?" eff you. My answer, "yes, I'm in a relationship with a younger guy, and I always date younger guys, but not usually the ones who qualify my hotness by my age."

:noway:
  • Dr_Flo
    Dr_Flo Posts: 465
    Options
    " You know if you lost like...40-50lbs, you'd look just like Colin Farrel from SWAT "

Uh.. thx?
  • Lifting_chick
    Lifting_chick Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I can really tell you have lost weight, your butt is less jiggly....yep really said that to me :noway:
  • kmacgera
    kmacgera Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    From my mother-in-law, on my wedding day, when she first sees me as I'm about to go down the aisle: "Sara, you look beautiful! You look nothing like yourself."

ROFL, sorry about that, though!
  • blueduckie
    blueduckie Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    One of the best ones was this gem;

"You look kinda cute... well if you didn't have all that stuff in your face and drawing's all over your body".

Lynchburg

^^^Totally relate to this!!!! My mother said to me 'Why would you get tattoos?! You're gona look gross when ur 60.'

Geeee, thanks! *le sigh*
  • tdbad1
    tdbad1 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    "dont worry dear, you have a great personality"...
  • katrwal
    katrwal Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    One from my lovely grandmother: "You're pretty right now, but you'd be beautiful if you lost weight."

I'll see your grandmother quote and raise you one: "Why do you keep dating men who are better looking than you? Aren't you afraid they'll find someone who matches them better?"

Went to her funeral and poked her to make sure she stayed dead...
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    One from my lovely grandmother: "You're pretty right now, but you'd be beautiful if you lost weight."

I'll see your grandmother quote and raise you one: "Why do you keep dating men who are better looking than you? Aren't you afraid they'll find someone who matches them better?"

OMG!! I LOVE YOU!! :flowerforyou: :laugh: :laugh:
  • VenusEnvy
    VenusEnvy Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    "What are you... a size 2? It must be nice to have so much free time since you don't have kids like everyone else."

B**ch, please -- I work 65-75 hours a week, I'm taking night classes, and you're at home while your kids are in school all day. Don't hide behind your kids as the reason for your lack of exercise and horrible diet.
  • Colleen118
    Colleen118 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Well, let's see....

"you're getting so thin, your husband is going to have to shake the sheets to find you"

"Sharon, it's ok to have a meal once in a while, you don't have to just waste away"

"miss no butt"

"she disappearing"

from my boss when I asked him if he was having ice cream "I don't know, I'm trying to do what you're doing"

These are just a few of many.

WHY do people feel the need to say these things?! They MIGHT be meant as a compliment but it seriously downplays the hard work we have put in and the determination and will power it takes (especially in the beginning) to continue and succeed.

I get the
    "Oh you don't need to lose 30 more! Where do you ahve 30 more to lose?" - an (older) co-worker who is about 10lbs more than goal.

"you look nice but I hope you can keep it off. It's taking you so long to lose. If you had the surgery like me you'd already be at your goal weight." - MY MOTHER

and LAST WEEK from a very dear friend while I was going through a rough emotional time and alienated my workouts for 9 days, "Maybe you shouldn't get rid of those larger clothes just yet. You might gain the weight back since you aren't going to the gym anymore."

^^^ theone that hurt the most. My mother is a b*tch, we rarely speak, so that was like a whatever. The co-worker is basically the same. She's known me for a year and half that time I've been losing weight. But the one last week REALLY stung and Ihad to bite my tongue to keep from giving a VERY ride response as this friend started the journey with me and stopped soon after blaming her husband for her lack of success ("he won't buy the food I need to eat and I'm not going to start doing the shopping too, I already do more than I should.") I know this ne shuld roll off my back but she knew what I was going through and I had told her I just needed to process some things and I would get back to the gym soon enough. It just stung coming from that particular person.
  • Colleen118
    Colleen118 Posts: 491 Member
    Options

You are my hero! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: