What's the most backhanded compliment you've ever recieved?

Options

Replies

• no_stagnation
    Options
    Click the link for an awesome backhanded compliment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWpeOjJTDWQ
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    My fave ...from an elderly Aunt in-law :

You look great, you've lost so much weight ! Your *kitten* used to be THIS ( indicating with her hands) BROAD
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Something to the effect from a co-worker about the fact I've done so well and lost so much weight that I can't move the containers anymore. Heck, darn things weigh 274 lbs each. I could never move them before either.
  • iluvprettyshoes
    iluvprettyshoes Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Wow, you look great for your age, you're old enough to be my mom!
    Ouch
  • littlelaura
    littlelaura Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    "you're sexy even with the extra weight" ...not exactly sure what that was supose to mean but it definitely was a backhanded compliment and hurt my feelings. :frown:
  • Allison22451
    Allison22451 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    after droning on and on about a dress sale. " Allison, im not telling you have to change your entire wardrobe. im just saying you should try and incorporate some more feminine things. i mean, you have a feminine hairstyle and sometimes wear lipstick *sigh* but so do transvestites." - my mom.

*laughs*
    i still dress like a vagabond.
    im cool with it. .
    its all part of my charm.

"I base my fashion taste on what doesn't itch." -Gilda Radner
  • WeekndOVOXO
    WeekndOVOXO Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    You're smarter than you look.

I'd have sex with you if you were skinnier.

You're a nice guy, BUT...
  • Brewster1215
    Brewster1215 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    When my ex-wife and I were dating I asked if she thought I was handsome. To which she said, "You're the funniest guy I've ever known".

Talk about an ego crusher LOL
  • CarleyLovesPets
    CarleyLovesPets Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I have all the basics...

You're gorgeous for a big girl.
    You have such a pretty face.
    You're an 8... You'd be an 11 if you were skinnier.

or...

You're so adorable, how could you do that to yourself?
    WTF.
  • Sheirai
    Sheirai Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    You look great. For your age.

Haha, this. I'm trying to handle it with some grace...I wore a fabulous red dress to a party last night, and when a woman I'd just met complimented my outfit, her friend said "yes, great fashion shouldn't be limited to the young"! I bit my tongue, and replied "thank you, I so agree." I'm glad that I was only on my first glass of wine-loose lips sink ships.
  • ParaSempreAmor11
    ParaSempreAmor11 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    "You lost so much weight omg your so skinny you look so good but you have no *kitten* now"... UMMMMM STFU you blind? my *kitten* is the reason why i need 2 jean sizes bigger ok so im pretty sure its just the right size :drinker:
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    An Indian co-worker: "You've gain-ed the weight!" In a congratulatory tone. I guess he thought that was a good thing being from a place where skinny isn't a fashion statement.
  • ferb03
    ferb03 Posts: 82
    Options
    From my mom just this week: You looked really skinny today. That woman standing next to you on the hill was so fat, she'd make anybody look thin.
    OMG! I am sorry your mother is so cruel, you have my sympathy. Mine was the same way and I hope I am never so insulting to my kids.
  • HaleyAlli
    HaleyAlli Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    Whenever I grow my hair out, my family says they liked it short. Whenever I cut it short, they say they liked it long. I have learned to stop listening to my family.
  • cindl24
    cindl24 Posts: 178
    Options
    A few weeks ago, a co-worker from another department said to me, "Wow. You look great. Why are you back so soon after having the baby?"

Uh, hello, I am not and was not pregnant, that was the OTHER girl in my department. I guess the compliment side would be that she's 15 years younger than I am, so it is good that I look young enough to be her, but dang, she outweighs me by a good 50-60 pounds!
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Not even really a compliment. I was talking to a woman about weight loss and another woman chimed in, "how much weight have you lost?" I think at the time I said 50lbs. She replied, "You haven't lost that much, have you?" Looking at her completely dumbfounded, the woman I was talking to replied "oh yes she has!" Made me feel like I don't look like I've lost that much. The topper was last week when she told me I didn't need to lose anymore weight and didn't want me to look sickly. I've got at most 70lbs more to go.
  • HeatherPH
    HeatherPH Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    My sweet fitness fanatic of a sister-in-law once said to me, "you're really pretty. You could look awesome if you got really toned! Why don't you do it? You should!"! Needless to say, I was ridiculously offended, despite the fact that I know she's a sweetheart and really wouldn't have meant it as an insult (I'm sure I could look awesome if I was toned, but that doesn't mean I don't look fine as I am!).
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    You look great. For your age.

Haha, this. I'm trying to handle it with some grace...I wore a fabulous red dress to a party last night, and when a woman I'd just met complimented my outfit, her friend said "yes, great fashion shouldn't be limited to the young"! I bit my tongue, and replied "thank you, I so agree." I'm glad that I was only on my first glass of wine-loose lips sink ships.

I just turned 29, so I am starting to get this from teenagers and twenty year olds. "I hope I look as good as you when I'm 29." Ahhhh.... I'm not even thirty!
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    after droning on and on about a dress sale. " Allison, im not telling you have to change your entire wardrobe. im just saying you should try and incorporate some more feminine things. i mean, you have a feminine hairstyle and sometimes wear lipstick *sigh* but so do transvestites." - my mom.

*laughs*
    i still dress like a vagabond.
    im cool with it. .
    its all part of my charm.

"I base my fashion taste on what doesn't itch." -Gilda Radner

That's my mom too!
  • ladyluch99
    ladyluch99 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Well, let's see....

"you're getting so thin, your husband is going to have to shake the sheets to find you"

"Sharon, it's ok to have a meal once in a while, you don't have to just waste away"

"miss no butt"

"she disappearing"

from my boss when I asked him if he was having ice cream "I don't know, I'm trying to do what you're doing"

These are just a few of many.