What's the most backhanded compliment you've ever recieved?

Options

Replies

• shiraLA
    shiraLA Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Here are the two that I get A LOT: "You look great! I hope I look like you when I get to be "your" age"
    "You look really great for having three kids"
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    From my mom just this week: You looked really skinny today. That woman standing next to you on the hill was so fat, she'd make anybody look thin.
    OMG! I am sorry your mother is so cruel, you have my sympathy. Mine was the same way and I hope I am never so insulting to my kids.

Bless her heart, though. She had no idea she was being cruel. She thought it was a compliment. Luckily, I have high self-esteem.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    "You'd be so handsome if you lost weight!"

Heard that constantly growing up.
  • Wannabeachday
    Wannabeachday Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    In high school " you would be pretty if you would dress better and when your face clears up" Needless to say middle school and high school sucked *kitten*!! I had acne, big boobs and was a huge Tomboy.. Fun times
  • oburley89
    oburley89 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    @wannabeachday that was me too :O it really sucked. :(
  • CristyMusicLovr
    CristyMusicLovr Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    A co-worker in an old job said I'd date ya if you lost a little weight (what a di*k) And this one is not a compliment I think she wanted to put me down lol but here it goes...my friend who at the time was 20 lbs heavier than me asked me if I wanted her clothes because they fit her big (size 20) and I told her umm I just started using size 16 haha inside my head felt like she slapped me and I slapped her harder.
  • Wannabeachday
    Wannabeachday Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    @oburley89 they are sure kicking themselves in the *kitten* now lol :)
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    "I have a box of old clothes in the garage that are too big for me now. I bet they'd look great on you; you should go take a look!"

No mom, I don't want your fat clothes.

Why is that such a mean thing? Were the clothes not nice or something?

I've offered clothes to a friend once but I didn't think it was offensive at the time. I figured they were pretty expensive and nice business clothes so why not offer it to a friend first before donating them.
  • LadyVeng3ance
    LadyVeng3ance Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Me and my friend in middle school was at the mall and was joking around with begging for money, when a girl from our class came up. She said, well if one of you should beg, it should be you cause you really look poor.
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    And the worst part is I am still married to the jerk.

why?
  • Audiejude
    Options
    You're so fat you can't even tell you're pregnant.
    I couldn't find a complement there even with drill. I hope you slapped that person.
  • Danardeener
    Options
    You look amazing for your age!
  • marvelprime
    marvelprime Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Too many : You're a nice guy but (insert follow up here). And, yes, I've been told I'm a nice guy but TOO nice of a guy.
  • schell81
    schell81 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Back in High School a good friend of mine told me that she was jealous of my strong legs. I was about to thank her when she blurted out "but at least mine look good in a skirt!"
  • TommiEgan
    TommiEgan Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I like you but you have red hair.
  • sullrico18
    sullrico18 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    "You don't need to lose any weight...but you definitely shouldn't gain more."
  • VaingloriousVictoria
    Options
    (At the time, I had lost 75 pounds...)

Coworker: OMG, pretty soon I am going to walk in and see a floating head.
    Me: What?
    Coworker: You're losing so much weight there is going to be nothing left of you.
    Me: Awkward silence...Thanks! Strange smile...

-Scene closed- (-.-)
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    (At the time, I had lost 75 pounds...)

Coworker: OMG, pretty soon I am going to walk in and see a floating head.
    Me: What?
    Coworker: You're losing so much weight there is going to be nothing left of you.
    Me: Awkward silence...Thanks! Strange smile...

-Scene closed- (-.-)

This cracked me up!!! What a strange thing that person said.
  • emd528
    emd528 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    "You look good, but you'll look better if you keep running."
    -my boyfriend

The most annoying thing about this was that I work out a lot, and he never does. Talk about a double standard! I should have said that he looks good, but he'd look better if he actually started running...
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    Bumping cause I'm enjoying reading all these.